Bag Set-ups!

TigerTime

Visit site
Curious to see everyones set ups and configurations and what people take into consideration when deciding what clubs to put into their bag?

I have a gapping session this week which I am looking forward to and I'll go from there. Will work out distances with what I have.

Currently have;
Driver, 3 Wood 15 deg, 4-PW irons, 4hybrid, Sand wedge, 52 degree, 64 degree, putter

Obviously kind of all over the place as most of it is a second hand set but I'm hoping the gapping session will tell me how I need to go forward in terms of which clubs to put in. Also currently minus a 5 iron as the head flew off into the trees last week.

Was thinking

Driver, 3 wood, 4-5 wood, 4-PW, 3 wedges and putter might be more beneficial but will wait and see.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have most distances from 80-190 covered with full shots bar a small gap around 90-100 yards. I cover this with gripped down 9 iron or PW depending on how far things are going.

I cover 40-70 with 1/2 swings (got about 3/5s of full distance).

4i covers tee shots where I want to get inside 150 off the tee on tight holes (300 yards or less), under 320 is usually 3h, under 340 is a 3wood and driver for longer. I might go up a club to get closer if the tee shot is open enough.

Only exceptions are par 4s and 5s which I decide are 3 shot rather than going for GIR (based on my gameplan) or I feel a longer approach is acceptable (safe misses around the green).

I only carry 13 clubs, D,3w,3h,4-PW, 52 and 56 plus putter.

I COULD put in a 60 but there is literally no time I would choose to hit it. I would play to a safe place with the 56 than go for a tight shot with a 60.

Last edited:

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Curious to see everyones set ups and configurations and what people take into consideration when deciding what clubs to put into their bag?

I have a gapping session this week which I am looking forward to and I'll go from there. Will work out distances with what I have.

Currently have;
Driver, 3 Wood 15 deg, 4-PW irons, 4hybrid, Sand wedge, 52 degree, 64 degree, putter

Obviously kind of all over the place as most of it is a second hand set but I'm hoping the gapping session will tell me how I need to go forward in terms of which clubs to put in. Also currently minus a 5 iron as the head flew off into the trees last week.

Was thinking

Driver, 3 wood, 4-5 wood, 4-PW, 3 wedges and putter might be more beneficial but will wait and see.

You've got a 64 degree wedge! oof.

I dropped my 3wood for for a 5w and my 4 and 5i's for hybrids.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Driver (10.5, set at 11.5), 3 wood (16), 3 hybrid (20), 4 (22) to PW (46) irons, 50, 54, 58 wedges.

I wouldn't touch a 64, no need for that sort of loft and will only cause more trouble than good.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Driver: Adjusted up to 11.5° as the higher loft is helping me with a slightly thin strike and keeping the face a fraction more closed.
5 wood: Tried 3 woods in the past but found them a bit pointless - couldn't hit them off the deck and off the tee not much different to just hitting a soft driver (and driver was more reliable). But when I got the Cobra F9 five wood I found it much more useful, a nice option off the tee and off the deck if I need it.
Hybrids: I struggled badly with my 5 & 6 irons which were quite strong lofted. Ultimately I now have hybrids replacing all of them as they're so much easier to launch the ball with.
Irons: As a consequence of the above I only have 7, 8, 9 & PW in the bag, but I do like these irons, I've had them for over 3 years I think.
Wedges: 46, 50 & 56 all bought at different times but all Clevelands. The 46 may sound like it's close to my PW (44) but as the PW is really a game improvement iron it still goes a good 10 yards further than the 46 so gapping is all good.
60: I recently got a Callaway Sure Out to help me in bunkers, since my bunker play is not the best, and I play courses where the sand isn't always consistent. It has really helped me to be fair.
Putter: Got fitted for it nearly 4 years ago and still love it.

Sekiro

Visit site
Currently:-

Driver: 12°
3 Wood: 15°
5 Wood: 18°
5 Iron: 23°
6 Iron: 26°
7 Iron: 30°
8 Iron: 35°
9 Iron: 40°
PW: 45°
Wedge 1: 50° / 11°
Wedge 2: 56° / 12°
Putter

Could probably squeeze a 4H between the 5i and 5w, leaving me 1 space for maybe a 60° wedge.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
The first bag ive built! Included prices i paid because why not!

Driver - Callaway RAZR X Black 10.5 reg shaft 1" long - £35 (from a mate)
4 wood - Srixon ZF45 - stiff shaft - standard weighting - £50 from pro shop
5-SW Wilson Staff D7 irons, KBS stiff shaft - custom fit - 1/2" long 3 deg upright - £449 from pro shop
Wilson deep red wedges - 52, 56, 60 - £120 approx from American Golf
Hot Blade putter (super stroke pistol GT grip) - a gift from my wife grandparents. Just love it.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Driver
3 Wood
5 Wood
3-PW
Putter

Arguably one of the 5 wood and 3 iron could go to make room for an extra wedge but they both do different jobs - 5 wood from the fairway and semi rough and 3 iron mainly for a couple of tee shots - and my wedges work fine as they are.

D

Deleted member 21258

9.5 driver
3HL wood
5HL wood
7 Wood
9 Wood
4 Iron
7, 8, 9, PW, GW, SW
60 Degree
Putter
Ball retriever;)

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yonex Ezone Tri-G 13 degree driver, adjusted to 14 to counter a slice (Also have a 12 degree Taylormade D-Type M6)
Cobra F-Max Airspeed 3 wood, which is very rarely in the bag
Cobra F-Max 5 wood, which is my go to (Also have a Taylormade M6 D-Type 5 wood)
Callaway Raxr X HL hybrids (3, 4, 5, 6, 7), although the 6 and 7 are out the bag at the moment
Ping G20 irons (6, 7, 8, 9, PW, UW), with the 6 and 7 currently in the bag instead of the equivalent hybrids
Vokey SM8 54F wedge, for around the greens where a “bump and run” is not feasible
Vokey SM6 58K wedge, for bunkers only (K grind is magic for bunkers)
Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 #7 (Also have a Ping G5 Anser and a Ping Karsten Anser)
Callaway Supersoft balls.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Decided in July to treat myself to a post-lockdown Ping fitting at Gainsborough – an almost complete new bagful except driver (fitter said Ping driver was no improvement on my current one) and putter. My plan is that this is my final bag before I hang up my shoe horn for good.

Wilson D300 driver - 13°

Ping G410 3 and 5 woods – 14.5° and 17.5°

Ping G410 hybrids - 22°, 26° and 30°

Ping G410 irons – 7 to Lob (minus SW)

Choice of 4 putters – depending on the day of the week

I am very happy with this after many, many years of ever-changing odds and sods in the bag.

Mandofred

Visit site
I'm getting pathetically short (distance wise....) these days......but at the moment....

Ping 410 9° set at 10°. Swinging slower, 10 is about right at this time.
Ping 410 5 wood (17.5) set to 18.5°....kind of like it, might still move it back down. It was 16.5 all summer but the roll is gone these days.
Mizuno hybrids set at 20 and 24° (love the 24)
Ping i500 5-W (4 iron in garage)
Ping 52/56/60 wedges
Mid size grips on all but putter....still like them.
Odyssey ten putter (working as well as anything).

Seriously considering a 7 wood and a 27ish hybrid.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
2-wood at 13 degrees
4-wood at 16.5
7-wood at 20
5 hybrid at 24
5 iron through to PW covering 23.5 to 43 degrees
GW at 50
SW at 54
LW at 58

I detest the hybrid and struggle to hit the 5iron consistently....another hybrid is under consideration, more practice is required with the 5iron. I might go back to a more conventional 1-3-5-7 wood set up in the new year if a driver gives me noticeable gains in distance without sacrificing the accuracy that the 2 wood delivers. I love my 2 wood but its about time it got a formal side by side testing with a modern three wood at a conventional 3 wood loft. A driver delivering more distance and a three wood that delivers similar distances to the 2-wood for the times I want accuracy wouild allow me to go 1-3-5-7 in the woods, then the 5iron would find its place on the subs bench whilst it learns to behave and ultimately I would probably drop the lob wegde and maybe move to a 50/56 degree wedge pairing when the 5 iron starts operating effectively.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Decided in July to treat myself to a post-lockdown Ping fitting at Gainsborough – an almost complete new bagful except driver (fitter said Ping driver was no improvement on my current one) and putter. My plan is that this is my final bag before I hang up my shoe horn for good.

Wilson D300 driver - 13°

Ping G410 3 and 5 woods – 14.5° and 17.5°

Ping G410 hybrids - 22°, 26° and 30°

Ping G410 irons – 7 to Lob (minus SW)

Choice of 4 putters – depending on the day of the week

I am very happy with this after many, many years of ever-changing odds and sods in the bag.
Is it worth having a 13° driver and 14.5° wood? Are they very much different in yardage?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is it worth having a 13° driver and 14.5° wood? Are they very much different in yardage?

Different uses. I'm pretty consistent off the tee with driver and, unlike some I know, would not even try to use it off the fairway - ergo 3 wood.