BADLY NEEDED OPINIONS

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
EVENING ALL.. :D
First things first Hello....
Got some questions that i hope can be answered by anyone.
I hope this doesn't bore but im stuck in a rut.
Been playing golf once a month for the past 12 months and really enjoying it i no it doesnt sound alot but im 34 now and retiring from playing football this year and slowly making the transition to the gentlemans game.soccer is takin up most of my time at the moment between training and matches.

Iv joined my dads golf club and ill be playing regular every sunday from march.
ill cut to the chase.When i play with him he usually plays me off 18 my questions are
1. Iv been on a swing analyser and have a swing speed of 108 -112mph is this unusual for me im 13.5 stone athletic build.
2. i have wilson Di7 irons wilson staff fybrids 3,5 and rescue a wilson staff
Dd6+driver but the shaft is regular and some people are telling me a stiff shaftwould straighten my slice i dont slice my irons or my woods there stiff
3.i had a bad slice but im sorting my grip that was my fault at the start it was too weak. is my own analysis of myself and my club selection ok.

any help is gratefully recieved
Mike...... :D

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Welcome to the forum, good to have another Wilson Staff fan.

What scores do you shoot? Whats your home track?

With your swing speed it does sound like you need a stiff shaft, but this is just a guess unless I see your swing and if you have any faults.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Without seeing you hit shots any advice is subjective. I would suggest the best thing to do would be to go to a PGA pro and get a lesson. He'll see within minutes whats going on and be able to give you a fix.

Regarding the shafts, I'm 6 foot and 13 stone and I swing at around 104 but in all honesty height and weight are not the main factors. Its all about your coil and weight transfer. The only advice I could give you is to go to a proper fitting centre or a demo day somewhere and try various shaft options. Either way I'd get a lesson sorted first and see what impact that has on your clubs.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
i hope im replying ok everythings kinda new to me still feeling my way round.
ya big fan of wilson staff myself im from limerick in southern ireland my club is east clare golf club www.eastclare.com if you wanna peek my dad normally plays stapleford with me and on a good day id finish with 32-38 points off h/cap of 18
i like the wilsons cos they dont break the bank and there nice n heavy too plus im a huge fan of padraig being irish..

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks homer j..
well with the recession and everythig going on here the lessons are still a bit on the expensive side for me at the moment.dont get me wrong i am serious about lowering my h/cap and all that and i know everyones swing is different but im kinda trying to find a happy medium for myself theres alot to take in as a beginner

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A single lesson would still be a wise investment. Shop around and maybe look at using an assistant (qualified) pro instead if money is that big an issue. I think your problems probably lie from poor basics and if you get the fundamentals right the rest is easier to sort.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Normally a stiff shaft will slice more if you have a slice. You will find the lower loft on a driver magnifies any side spin, so that may explain why your other clubs don't slice.

If I had to guess, and that is all it would be, you slice your driver because you try to hit it too hard. You have quite a fast swing, is it in control?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Well done Murph, you talk a lot of sense. Kid2, do you take divots with your driver and if so, do they point left of your target?

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
All good advice here. I use a stiff driver to help me with the odd hook, no because my swing speed is all the high, so if you slicing, a stiff shaft will not be helping the cause. Slicing at the beginner stage is really common and if your only playing once a month then it’s a big ask to sort things out without some professional help. You wont see as much of a slice with your irons, mainly because, with shorter clubs the swing tends to be more up and down compared to the longer shaft on a driver.

I’m glad you’re a football player because you should be able to understand the basics of what makes a ball move from left to right or visa versa. It’s the same with golf. If the swing is true with an open face the ball will spin out to the right, if the swing cuts across the ball then it will also spin out to the right. A combination of both and the ball will be moving right big time.

The biggest fault I see with people who first start playing with a slice is not moving their weight on to the right side on the down swing and follow through. They usually lean back and cut across the ball. If you start with this fault and it isn’t corrected quickly then it could be really hard to rectify in the future.

As said above, it’s difficult for us without seeing your swing but I would forgo your next game for a lesson.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice guys
its very much appreciated.....just one quick point about slowing down my swing dunno does the same happen to anyone else but it feels very uncomfortable to me to slow everything down on the take away im quite slow alright but the follow through is quick with me.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
if, as me, trying to break the sound barrier with the club promotes a high slice then it's all wasted effort as either you'll have to play 3 off the tee or dig it out of the shrubbery.

for me slow back and pause keeps me more in control of the club and if it's 20 yds shorter but on the short stuff you're still a shot to the good.

nmartyn

Head Pro
Visit site
how far are you hitting your drives?
i've slowed my swing right down (is around the 97 mark now) and i'm actually hitting the ball MUCH further simply cos the straight line distance, now i've reduced the slice, is further than the boomerang i was getting before!!

as mentioned on another post today - a great tip i got to cut the slice is to bring the right elbow into the hip during the swing. you can have that one for free ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I was hitting a Cleveland 09 Launcher in the net at AG on the monitor the other day (well everyone needs their golf fix somehow) and wasn't getting on with it too well but when I tried the Nanospeed (again - tried it last month) my speed increased by 5mph and I was hitting further and tighter. I think it boils down as we keep saying to using the best shaft combo you can find to generate the speed and not to try and force it yourself.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks mart..
to answer your question on my distance ill go on my winter distance as its more recent ill judge it on the first hole at my club which is 320 metres off the whites
im usually about 30 metres inside the 150 mark on a straight drive.i think in yards thats about 220-230 yards and that would be in lift clean and place conditions too no roll.
there in me but not always and thats in overcast weather with low temperatures i suppose that has a factor on distance too. im a little longer in the summer naturally