Back at it again :) Need practice though.

WayneO

Visit site
Hi all.

Wayne here from North Manchester and after a many years lay off, by eck could be as much as 15 for serious rounds. I have decided to get back into this golf lark due to need the excersie and miss the game aswell. and now my wife wants to have a go at it. She isnt bad on pitch and put so can hit the ball at least which makes a good start to help her. She will be getting a few lessons soon before summer arrives. Maybe myself also.

We went to Castle Hawk driving range in Rochdale last weekend, I impressed myself with that i still have the touch despite the bad wrists and elbows, good few good straight 300yrds + drives and short iron work. I have to say I used to spend weekends on there just doing around after around all day. small course but love it.

Cant believe Heaton Park course has closed down, in fact shocked.

So we are getting a practice net soon for winter practice and keep the old bone moving in time for next year, and maybe a round the odd nice weekend over winter.

If anybody can suggest a good practice net please do. budget at the minute max £100 or i can build my own.

All Best

Wayne and Tracey.

WayneO

Visit site
Hi Pokerjoker

Where I went it was £2:50 for 50 balls so used there balls. Dont think you can use your own. Wouldnt they get lost, i lost a dozen over the trees at the bottom of the range.

The last handicap i got was 10 when i was about 20, so some 24 years ago, yikes that gone quick.I bet its going to take some doing to get like that again.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cheers WayneOr
Oops no R lol.

Well you’ve obviously got some potential,the good news is your already up to forum distances and beyond.

Could be a nice way of getting back to it with the wife also interested.

Happy golfing

WayneO

Visit site
Cheers WayneOr
Oops no R lol.

Well you’ve obviously got some potential,the good news is your already up to forum distances and beyond.

Could be a nice way of getting back to it with the wife also interested.

Happy golfing

I agree, some folk say its a getaway from the wife, not me, we need to send more time together i think, T is on nights and me on 12hr days.

I just hope my arms/joints hold out, i have been told it will do me good.

Forum distances ?

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oh yes forum distances.
Well the word is we all hit 300 yard + drives,otherwise you don’t fit in.
The good news is your 300+ yard drives,with range balls,which everyone knows go 20% less distance puts you right up there,in fact top of the list due to the fact your were straight.

It’s all good news though you will invited to future forum meets when of course you can entertain us all.

Are you and the wife joining a club as you mentioned lessons?

WayneO

Visit site
Oh yes forum distances.
Well the word is we all hit 300 yard + drives,otherwise you don’t fit in.
The good news is your 300+ yard drives,with range balls,which everyone knows go 20% less distance puts you right up there,in fact top of the list due to the fact your were straight.

It’s all good news though you will invited to future forum meets when of course you can entertain us all.

Are you and the wife joining a club as you mentioned lessons?

Trust me , i am as shocked as you maybe that i got over 300yrds, i asked a chap who was next to me how long the range was and he said 300yrds. Although i have played for years in the past i never went on a range as sell taught on courses lol. Thinking back now i did wonder at some of the drives i did back then.

Do simulators do print offs ? there ar a few near me, infact Castle Hawk has one i think..

We are going to see if it is worth joining a club due to time we have to play. It may only be worth pay and play at the minute. We would like to though as some nice courses near us.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Welcome along WayneO, hope you enjoy the forum.

I don't normally do this but don't want to see you getting ragged....
Just looked on Google maps and found what looks to be the range, measuring the longest possible distance, standing in the hedge and hitting into the hedge the other side, it's about 235 yards.
Standing on the Chadwick Lane and hitting into the hedge at the furthest point is just under 290 yards.

I'd have a word with the chap who said 300 yards, there are very few ranges with that sort of distance.

WayneO

Visit site
Welcome along WayneO, hope you enjoy the forum.

I don't normally do this but don't want to see you getting ragged....
Just looked on Google maps and found what looks to be the range, measuring the longest possible distance, standing in the hedge and hitting into the hedge the other side, it's about 235 yards.
Standing on the Chadwick Lane and hitting into the hedge at the furthest point is just under 290 yards.

I'd have a word with the chap who said 300 yards, there are very few ranges with that sort of distance.

Morning

I agree, it does sound a bit much, As said above, that is why i am going to book into a Simulator see whats going on. I bet the get busy this time of year. Castle Hawk looks a fair price at £15 for an for two of us.

As for me getting ragged, no a worry fella, I am on a few forums and I am used to seeing what folk are like, thanks for the heads up on he range, will check it out.

EDT

Well that is disapointing, on google maps you can measure distances by right clicking on the map then pinpointing the distance.and i just measured from the T i went from and it would work uout more to be 200 yards one i cleared the trees at the back. The range is The Range us only 165yrds long.

Last edited:

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Morning

I agree, it does sound a bit much, As said above, that is why i am going to book into a Simulator see whats going on. I bet the get busy this time of year. Castle Hawk looks a fair price at £15 for an for two of us.

As for me getting ragged, no a worry fella, I am on a few forums and I am used to seeing what folk are like, thanks for the heads up on he range, will check it out.

EDT

Well that is disapointing, on google maps you can measure distances by right clicking on the map then pinpointing the distance.and i just measured from the T i went from and it would work uout more to be 200 yards one i cleared the trees at the back. The range is The Range us only 165yrds long.
Would not be disappointed mate, that's still a good poke to clear them with range balls.

WayneO

Visit site
Well lads, Simulator is booked for this Saturday for me an T :)

Ok i have a plan, i have never had a decent set if clubs and would really love a good set, Ping or Taylor Made, Spotted some already lol.

What am going to do is every month now until spring practice like hell until i can hit the 300yrd marker. Not just that but there is a car on the driving range at the 150yrd marker, now in 50 balls i need to hit it 12 times....or is that to much, maybe six :)

So thats my incentive for me to get a new set.

D

Deleted member 21258

and now my wife wants to have a go at it. She isnt bad on pitch and put so can hit the ball at least which makes a good start to help her.

some folk say its a getaway from the wife, not me, we need to send more time together i think

You and your wife, should enjoy the journey.(y)

Hope it all works out for you and get out onto that course, that's were the fun is.:)

My wife got into golf as my son took it up and didn't want to be left out and almost all my games are with my wife. Best thing that ever happened for my golf and when/how often I get to play and the plus point she always makes me laugh.

She now plays more golf than I do but says she doesn't like it, yeah right! :censored::D

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not just that but there is a car on the driving range at the 150yrd marker, now in 50 balls i need to hit it 12 times....or is that to much, maybe six :)

Please confirm the make and model of the car in question.....Surely its easier to hit an SUV style car over an old school Mini Cooper ;)!

WayneO

Visit site
OK this is going to be harder than i thought.

We did an hour on the simulator, i am impressed with T`s efforts, hitting straight shots consistante to over 100yrds which is good to say this is really her first time. Few aches from her wrist as just new to it i reckon.

Me i am suffering bad now. elbow has gave up the ghost , typing one handed at the minute. It looks like i will need surgery one this elbow now if i want to carry on playing golf. Left elbow isnt to bad after the op a few years ago so hope the right one will be as good.

Bit peeved off but what can you do.

Hey is was hitting 250yrds at first and straight but consistancy was getting worse and worse during the hour.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just don't push it. I tend to get a sore elbow in winter if I hit the range too often and hit off hard range mats. Rest it, ice and anti-inflammatory pills usually get it done. If I want to get a fix and the elbow is playing up I can usually hit a bucket and work on my pitching and in particular the distance control. Glad the other half got it done sounds like she's off to a flyer