Ayrshire tour Pt.1 Greenock

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Greenock,

Played in an open for £12 a pair with one of the local members, as we had an odd number. A boiling hot May day ensued, carrying my bag up hill and down dale. The first is a knee trembler over a smallish crevice but a good fade is required as a treelined fairway swallows any straightish shots, it’s possible to hit in one due to the severe camber. The 2nd is from an elevated tee down to the fairway that runs across you, again too big/straight can be danger. The fourth is SI 1 with two ditches fully crossing the fairway, so club selection and knowing your yardages are so important as to reach in two will be tough without two very good shots. The 5th is a great par 5 downhill then uphill to a green protected by a barn on the approaching corner.

At this point we were hoping we were at the top of the course, oh no said my Sherpa friend, this is just base camp. A 259 severe uphill par 4 follows at 6. The 7th is a great 210 yard par 3 to a raised green that sits across you, too big and rough at the back is the main problem (I birdied it)!!!

The 10th is a sharply downhill 210yard par 3, club selection and a good bounce being important, but don’t be big. The 11th is a sharp uphill par 4 that plays 50 yards more than its 412 yards, for SI 2. The 13th is a well set out par 3 in the valley below, with bunkers to carry. 15 is another uphill all the way straight hole that again plays more than the 416 yards, SI 3 is correct. An easyish par 3 finishes the top of the course for 2 downhill holes to finish off, with trouble on both.

Overall a challenging course that is tiring mentally and physically, plays more like 6,500 than the 5838 off the whites it measures. Long par 3’s and uphill par 4’s offer the challenge, as well as many elevation changes. The views over the mouth of the Clyde and surrounding islands also offer a nice distraction, greens were slow, but true.

The welcome in the clubhouse was amazing, we spoke with the captain, steward, my partners friends, their friends and must have spoken with 20 plus people over only 3 pints after the game. A typically Scottish warm welcome, and the best I’ve had. We won £100 as they had a 2’s comp with a difference (for 2 x 2’s) which I scored as 2 of my four birdies, playing 6 over for 17 scored holes. A thoroughly brilliant day 25+ degree weather, no wind, spectacular views, great company, great welcome, £100 won. Finished about 5th.Sorted. Go there. Thanks Kenny Jack!!!