At the back of the cupboard....

Magic

Visit site
As a magician for 15 years i have collected a huge cupboard full of items that i thought would make me the next David Copperfield, all of which havn`t but at the time I had to buy them as it would make me a better magician, they never did. I have had to slog away at it the hard way.
My question is which must have gadgets for golf that you thought would turn you into the next Tiger, :D now sit somewhere in the back of your cupboards never to see the light of day again.

B

birdieman

'Momentus swing trainer' has been Ebayed -it gave me the shanks for a half season from pulling my weight forward through the swing -AVOID.
'Inside approach' also Ebayed - you really need to swing the club like you were swinging an axe for this to help at all.
Dave Pelz's two Bible books - interesting, but 400 pages or whatever to tell you how to putt is over intensive. You want your head clear for golf -paralysis by analysis I think the yanks call it.

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Totally agree re. Dave Pelz making a mountain out of a molehill. Every time I see him on the Golf Channel, I can't help thinking he's massively overcomplicating what is essentially a very simple motion. Some of the gadgets he uses to illustrate his techniques look positively ridiculous.

The_Golfer

Club Champion
Visit site
I have the momentus and the swing setter. A friend swore by the momentus for getting you in the slot, another said it was good for stretching the right muscles..no benefits found. The swingsetter was a desperate plight to strike the ball better as I was releasing the club too early... I used the swingsetter maybe three/four times and it did give me auditory feedback to which I resolved the problem another way, but again no other benefits found... my most recent gadget; holding the club upside down with my right hand only swinging it back and then "whipping" it through; the most effective so far and great results for tempo!!!!!!

B

birdieman

Good tip for release is to swing a broom. One gadget I do like is the speed stik, use that a lot.
There is something mildly amusing about Dave Pelz and son Eddie's rather naff presentations. It seems Eddie couldn't get a job doing anything else do is riding on the coat-tails of his famous dad by rolling beach balls along a green etc. I'm sure Dave knows his stuff but trying to turn putting into NASA style science is too complicated for most of us weekend hackers. I reckon eyes over the ball and say Sam Snead (sam as putter goes back, snead as putter swings through). Dont quit on it and make sure the putter head goes right through the shot. That Monty style move with the left elbow breaking on the follow through is supposed to help keep the face square but hard to get used to.