Carpenter - Washing/Dryer pedestals

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
thinking of putting our washing machine & dryer on a pedestal. Saves our back. Having been looking on the interweb and i see only one company who makes such utility cupboards.

The other alternative is to make this. As a chippy, what kind of budget would one of these custom jobs need?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
2 things.
How would you or someone called to look at them get them out?
I can guarantee if the machines are under warranty and you call the manufacturer out they would turn round and say "you get them out and then we can attend to work on them"
The main body is chipboard, which acts like a sponge..
My professional opinion, they need to be on a solid floor ideally.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
2 things.
How would you or someone called to look at them get them out?
I can guarantee if the machines are under warranty and you call the manufacturer out they would turn round and say "you get them out and then we can attend to work on them"
The main body is chipboard, which acts like a sponge..
My professional opinion, they need to be on a solid floor ideally.

All valid points.. and that is my fear too - since i have seen a bit of leak from both machines (mostly dryer when it does not condense properly).
So i think the spongy bit is the right shout.

However on closer inspection of the cupboard, i realise that the appliances are on metal trays!!! So they claim that water egress should not happen...

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All valid points.. and that is my fear too - since i have seen a bit of leak from both machines (mostly dryer when it does not condense properly).
So i think the spongy bit is the right shout.

However on closer inspection of the cupboard, i realise that the appliances are on metal trays!!! So they claim that water egress should not happen...
I doubt it will stop moisture getting into the chipboard below. So if the metal plate has a lip all the way around, that makes it even more interesting getting the machines up and down.
Also check how deep you machines are, as the current trend is larger loads which means deeper machines. 600deep is no longer the max for washers and dryers.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
thinking of putting our washing machine & dryer on a pedestal. Saves our back. Having been looking on the interweb and i see only one company who makes such utility cupboards.

The other alternative is to make this. As a chippy, what kind of budget would one of these custom jobs need?
If I was requested to build something like this, I’d be using something stronger like birch plywood, design the cabinets differently so that stress points are vertical not horizontal. I’d quote c.£500 for something stronger and, IMO, better looking.

The issue of water can be mostly mitigated by sealing the substrate with a hard wax oil so that water pools rather than penetrates.

Although, the linked design is MFC, which if edge banded properly should resist water ingress.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If I was requested to build something like this, I’d be using something stronger like birch plywood, design the cabinets differently so that stress points are vertical not horizontal. I’d quote c.£500 for something stronger and, IMO, better looking.

The issue of water can be mostly mitigated by sealing the substrate with a hard wax oil so that water pools rather than penetrates.

Although, the linked design is MFC, which if edge banded properly should resist water ingress.

When can you start :)

I have yet to see anything better looking. Mrs has been on Pinterest and momboards