Assistant Pros

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A little topic for debate: Should assistant pros be allowed to compete in the Saturday medal at your local club?

They could start off playing off scratch and maybe come down if they have some good scores- they shouldn't be able to go above scratch I'd say. They could enter the sweeper and win some prizes.... Gives them a chance to play some competitive golf and keep their hand in.

What do people think?

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
Its an interesting idea, I know my assistant pro would love to play more competitive golf but whether or not he’d be given the time off work is another thing and I don’t know how many golf clubs would go for it.

BigStu

Hacker
Visit site
Yes great suggestions. With only about 5 or 6 assistants tournaments this would be an excellent way of getting some competitive golf and also be a great chance for them to interact with the members.

A couple of questions though.
1. Which competitions could they play in? Would they include the club championship?
2. It would be good to have the assistants involved but what about the qualified Pro? Unless they are prepared to travel a fair bit then there are not many competitions for them either. So could they be involved as well?

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In response to this Stu

1 - I don't think they could count in the club championship. The clubber is really to find the best "member" golfer of the year at the club. Then it goes into champion of champion events and things - could cause problems. Having said that I don't think the pros at my club would win it anyway. I'm not saying the assistants should be able to win the club trophies - just the sweeper, twos competitions etc....

2 - Pro can play too.