Assembling 'H/cap fair' Mixed teams of 4

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Members indicate they wish to play & the Club assembles the teams ensuring a mixture of H/caps & a woman in each team, if their are enough of them.
It's 2 to score on each hole.
Full h/cap is used as Members resent losing shots off H/cap (except for B/Ball) ...... a CONGU recognized format.
As there is no enforced H/cap limit we have encountered a problem as we now have a member with a 54 H/cap..... next highest are around the 36 mark.
She's played in 2 so far & her team have walked away with it causing 'mumberlings' among some members. They are very much 'Fun Comps' but still need to be as equitable as possible
Question is.......
Has your Club addressed these issues.. How?
Also happy to get any suggestions how we may do so?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
If she is a recently allocated 54 and seems to be better than that, your Handicap Committee then has a duty to monitor and, if necessary, to adjust the player's handicap.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't think these scores would warrant that Jim. In the teams she hasn't dominated scoring, however they're 4 or 5 pointers when she does.
Joan's scores.jpg

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Absolutely no case for a handicap cut.

Taking advantage of the points when you can is what such comps are all about.

There shouldn't be playing ability discrimination any more than gender or other discrimination in a golf club.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Absolutely no case for a handicap cut.

Taking advantage of the points when you can is what such comps are all about.

There shouldn't be playing ability discrimination any more than gender or other discrimination in a golf club.
Agreed ......... & can't think of an occasion when we do, but it's caused a bit of an issue (for some)... hence my post.
Solutions suggested so far are-
75% H/cap allowance..... but that would be resented by many members losing 3 & 4 shots
40 H/cap limit for 4 person team Comps..... it discriminates..... but would solve the problem.
As they only occur every 2 months I guess she gets 'shared around' & the moaners take their turn or shut-up.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agreed ......... & can't think of an occasion when we do, but it's caused a bit of an issue (for some)... hence my post.
Solutions suggested so far are-
75% H/cap allowance..... but that would be resented by many members losing 3 & 4 shots
40 H/cap limit for 4 person team Comps..... it discriminates..... but would solve the problem.
As they only occur every 2 months I guess she gets 'shared around' & the moaners take their turn or shut-up.
Have you thought of simply doing 90 or 95% handicaps instead?? If it was 95%, an 18 capper for example would only lose 1 shot but your 54 capper would be off 51. Might appease a couple of people, or it might make no difference, I don't know.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The WHS recommendations are:
4b match 95%
4b stroke 85%
1 from 4 75%
2 from 4 85%
3 from 4 100%
4 from 4 100%

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On a similar vein we have one team that always figures in the prizes in teams comps.

I get many a comment about their handicaps and have looked at them on several occasions. On an individual basis I can see no reason for any adjustments to their handicaps because they all play plenty of singles comps for their handicaps to be realistic.