Asian Born Players on The PGA Tour

Hoganman1

Visit site
We are starting to see more and more players from Asia emerge on The Tour. While Asian women have been winning and even dominating the LPGA, Asian men have not been as successful thus far. This seems to be rapidly changing. It's true only one Asian man (YE Yang) has won a major. However, one could say KJ Choi's win at The Players, which some consider the 5th major, was very significant in turning the page. I believe that although it might not happen this year, very soon we'll see more Asian major champions. Golf in the 21st century is truly an international game. It appears events like The President's Cup, The World Golf Championships and The Olympics are helping to speed up the process. As an avid golfer I'm thrilled to see this happening.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
We are starting to see more and more players from Asia emerge on The Tour. While Asian women have been winning and even dominating the LPGA, Asian men have not been as successful thus far. This seems to be rapidly changing. It's true only one Asian man (YE Yang) has won a major. However, one could say KJ Choi's win at The Players, which some consider the 5th major, was very significant in turning the page. I believe that although it might not happen this year, very soon we'll see more Asian major champions. Golf in the 21st century is truly an international game. It appears events like The President's Cup, The World Golf Championships and The Olympics are helping to speed up the process. As an avid golfer I'm thrilled to see this happening.

It's been said since Joe, Jumbo and Jet Ozaki and we're still waiting.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think it is inevitable that more and more Asian men will start to develop and it has been a long time coming. They won't dominate the PGA tour in the same way as perhaps the women have as I think the depth is far stronger in the mens game but there will be more regular winners. Similarly, we may see an Asian major winner again at some time. Don't forget you can go back to the early 80's and the like of Aoki winning on tour so it has been happening for a while

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Am I bothered by East Asian players making it?....not really. Do I see their progress as a sign of golf being a more international game, again not really especially when you look at how Governments have pushed the game to try and dominate (South Korea)
Personally, the biggest sign golf has become truly inclusive and international would be the rise of players from the Indian sub continent, but I suspect that in those parts of the world it is more a case of rich kids playing rather than anyone can play as in Europe or the US.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

I'm sure we will continue to see more Asian's (S. Korea, Japan and China for the main part) win and compete in the mens game.

I'd be amazed if there is the dominance that the S. Korean woman have enjoyed - simply due to the numbers game and that in the Western countries golf is still played mainly by boys / men and so there will be a lot more elite male players. In S. Korea I think it's far more of an equal split and there is clearly a big culture of girls playing golf, much more so than in the Europe or America.

Notable that the LPGA still has mainly US events and they haven't really moved a large part of the circuit to Korea / Asia.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I heard a while ago that some of the Asian countries still have National Service for men only which may explain why there aren't as many young men on tour as there are ladies

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I heard a while ago that some of the Asian countries still have National Service for men only which may explain why there aren't as many young men on tour as there are ladies

Quite a few stars have gotten off service due to their success Recently. Albeit only footballers that I’m sure of.
I seem to recall Sang Moon Bae having his career wrecked by it.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As per his authorised biography, V J Singh refers to himself as “Indo-Fijian” as he has Indian forebears ... the name Singh is a giveaway and he is clearly not Polynesian like the indigenous Fijian population. So I guess that he falls into two camps. What is certain is that he is not from Asia. Having said that, I’m not sure why this has become a debate ??

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
As per his authorised biography, V J Singh refers to himself as “Indo-Fijian” as he has Indian forebears ... the name Singh is a giveaway and he is clearly not Polynesian like the indigenous Fijian population. So I guess that he falls into two camps. What is certain is that he is not from Asia. Having said that, I’m not sure why this has become a debate ??

Sounds like somebody trying to sell more books in my opinion!

sunshine

Visit site
I know he was born and raised in Fiji, but he is generally considered to be Indian-Fijian and is a Hindu. Does that make him Asian? Maybe, maybe not.

He is a Hindu? So is Julia Roberts, what has religion got to do with nationality? Maybe you need to do some diversity training :rolleyes:

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
He is a Hindu? So is Julia Roberts, what has religion got to do with nationality? Maybe you need to do some diversity training :rolleyes:
Ok, enough! I was clearly wrong to think that he might be Asian. My apologies for opening a can of worms. I promise to take a 2 shot penalty next time I play as penance.

Hoganman1

Visit site
Don't worry about it, cliveb. V. J. can be part Asian if you want him to be. Remember Tiger labeled himself as being "Cablasian" meaning Caucasian, Black and Asian. Doesn't he have a few majors?