Would a Tournament of Champions work on the European Tour*?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
I'm not sure I can remember this being brought up before, it must have been at some point, but would you like to see a Tournament of Champions kicking off the season in Europe? Could it work? Where would you like to see it played? Why has it never happened? Other than players who have won on both tours not sure why it's not more of a goer..

* I'm not ready to call it the DP World Tour

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's a good idea. Where you play it depends on what time of the year it would happen. No fun playing it in the UK in winter for example. Presumably a Dubai job?

sunshine

Visit site
It's a nice idea, I love the ToC at Kapalua. Somewhere tropical like Seychelles, Maldives, Mauritius would be great.

However, how many ET winners would turn up? The tournament would need a massive bag of cash or gold Rolex status to attract winners away from the US.

Sadly, the only realistic way to make this happen would be more Saudi sports washing

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
It's a nice idea, I love the ToC at Kapalua. Somewhere tropical like Seychelles, Maldives, Mauritius would be great.

However, how many ET winners would turn up? The tournament would need a massive bag of cash or gold Rolex status to attract winners away from the US.

Sadly, the only realistic way to make this happen would be more Saudi sports washing
My sons' mate is an engineer on a rich guys yacht and is currently Covid bound (ie can't get home for his leave because of an outbreak amongst the crew) just off the Seychelles - video of storm he sent on New Years day would suggest it's not the best place to have a golf tournament at the moment.