Argument on course

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
…and if you do the ‘let through’ properly, the time added to your round duration will be no more than that added were you have to look for balls in the rough a few more times.

I read the original point more in relation to smaller groups trying to play through busy courses full of larger groups. Letting a smaller group through in those circumstances only benefits the smaller group whilst potentially slowing down all of the other groups on the course.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Marshalls - for those clubs that have them, are they paid or volunteers? If volunteers, do they then miss their own golf that day?

Stretching my mind, I can only think of 2 occasions where I have seen a marshall out on a course, Gleneagles and Ganton. I can't think of anywhere in the NE of England where I have seen a course with them.
When I played Goswick this year there was a marshall in a buggy, not sure if he was employed or professional but I have to say he was friendly and the course was moving at a decent pace.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Longhirst has someone in a hut on the 1st, at weekends, but that is more a starter than a marshall patrolling the course. I could envisage Northumberland having them but as I've never played there, I don't know 🤷‍♂️
Played there last year. No marshall. Course was quirky but enjoyable. Clubhouse very impressive.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We have 2 Marshalls, both paid and non-members.
They can be efficient but we still get backlogs.
The club has 2 types of player
1 type can't let you through quick enough, the other can't let you through..sadly the latter outnumber the former.
We also get problems on busy days - Saturdays with no comps, Bank Holidays etc.
With no booking system most of the time there is no control as to how many people are on the course at any time.
And when groups tee off the 1st as soon as the group in front are out of range- about 6 minutes - you get bottlenecks by the 3rd hole
It's not uncommon to get a group on the green, 1 on the fairway and 2 more on the tee.
If people waited a couple more minutes then things would flow much better but......

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have 2 Marshalls, both paid and non-members.
They can be efficient but we still get backlogs.
The club has 2 types of player
1 type can't let you through quick enough, the other can't let you through..sadly the latter outnumber the former.
We also get problems on busy days - Saturdays with no comps, Bank Holidays etc.
With no booking system most of the time there is no control as to how many people are on the course at any time.
And when groups tee off the 1st as soon as the group in front are out of range- about 6 minutes - you get bottlenecks by the 3rd hole
It's not uncommon to get a group on the green, 1 on the fairway and 2 more on the tee.
If people waited a couple more minutes then things would flow much better but......

See we have the marshall team but only 1 on at a time

The hut (shed) is on the way to the first tee. If they have a load of tee times or visitors expected their in there

If they know they got members spread out they will be going round the course in the buggy filling divots

We introduced them after COVID and I must say they been a great success

sunshine

Visit site
Even back when that stupid rule was around, why would anyone keep someone waiting behind the if there was an opportunity to let them through?

I never let anyone through. I find it an insult to my manhood. How dare he challenge me. I've been a member for over 40 years and I play at the correct pace, everyone else is either too fast or too slow.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
My club has a "single player has no standing" rule, BUT, this is to prevent singles insisting on being allowed through on a crowded course. There is also a rule giving two balls priority over fourballs, but only on weekdays for the same reason.

Irrespective of the rule, we, four players in our 70s, often let single players through if there's a gap in front of us & sometimes when there's not, if they have the prospect of getting through the matches in front.

If the course is crammed full and people are waiting every shot it's unreasonable for a single player to expect to go through the whole field.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
My club has a "single player has no standing" rule, BUT, this is to prevent singles insisting on being allowed through on a crowded course. There is also a rule giving two balls priority over fourballs, but only on weekdays for the same reason.

Irrespective of the rule, we, four players in our 70s, often let single players through if there's a gap in front of us & sometimes when there's not, if they have the prospect of getting through the matches in front.

If the course is crammed full and people are waiting every shot it's unreasonable for a single player to expect to go through the whole field.

Exactly how does a single insist on being allowed through?

D-S

Visit site
We often have had this as a problem playing as a 2 ball abroad. We eventually realised that many people are oblivious that they are holding anyone up and so ‘pressurising’ them by being right up behind them doesn’t work at all. We then realised that if you walk up to them (or drive if it’s a buggy course) and politely ask/advise them that you are playing through they look surprised and invariably just stand aside. Often some folk don’t even know that playing through is even a thing.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Genuine conversation we had in the USA.
Them “We can’t let you play through because there is someone behind you”

we said “ There behind us because your holding the whole course up”

Them “ sorry we’re not allowed to let you through”

We just started laughing , they looked puzzled at this!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Do you mean his original failed attempt or the second one he mentioned? I cannot imagine the latter working on MIB's 4-ball.

First attempt was just the often seen ‘if I hang around nearish to them they’re bound to let me play through cos they definitely see me’ while neither group actually talks to the other

2nd was definitely an insistence that he was playing through (& did)

I wouldn't endorse either method