Are you happy at your current club?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We lost our greens big time two years ago and the greenkeeper at the time didn't know his derriere from his elbow. Rightly got the push...... eventually and new guy came in with a bold three year plan. I was close to leaving when the subs were due in March 2012 as the cost v condition equation was way out. However I decided that as I liked the guys I play with I'd give it last year. The greens have come on a lot this year and the general layout has improved a lot. There is still work to do on the greens to remove the last of the moss but we are on a good path and I'm more than happy at the moment.

The guy has a plan and I think at the end of it we'll be in a good place. We also have knee high rough but you have to hit a bad shot to find it and so in my opinion if you go in it, and it is a guaranteed lost ball, then you deserve your punishment for being that far off line. And yes, I lost a ball that way going too far left on 14 in the medal yesterday.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I am although there are faults that won't get fixed due to good old HS2.
There's been little investment and they'll only put in enough to keep it going. Sometimes it feels like they're barely doing that.
We don't have enough greenkeepers and if one is off or on holiday things get left and it takes time to catch up.
It doesn't have much of a Club feel midweek but it's ok for what we pay. Much as I'd love to join the next level of club, I can't justify the 35-40% extra they ask for.
There's been no word recently on the HS2 issue. From what I understand the build is still going to happen but we have no real timescale for the existence of the club, which will be cut in half by the track, killing the club. A move will happen but when remains in doubt.
Renewal is March/April so after New Year the thinking cap goes on again.

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have to say that I am really happy being a member at The Irvine Golf Club.

Tricky course which is generally in good condition and possibly the best greens on the west coast. For the money we pay I feel it is good value £870 for golf 52 weeks a year.

The only downside at present is the amount of griping about the introduction of the BRS online booking system. Especially on a Saturday when every one who plays wants to be out before 9.30:confused:

Only wish I had joined sooner.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
More than happy with my club. 3 great, and different, loops of 9 gives it a bit of a mix up now and again. Never struggle for a game.
Great membership base with great people. A club seccy that listens and the course is in great condition with excellent greens.
Yeah, the rough is high and it's frustrating but then I shouldn't be in there :).

If I had a complaint it would be that I got fewer chips with my Steak Pie on Sunday... :D (which is the best around BTW)

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Love it. Proper members Club where you always feel welcome, and the course is in stunning condition at the moment. Had our Centenary dinner on Saturday, and had 230 attend, and there was a long waiting list. Wouldn't move to one of the 'bigger' local Clubs like Hankley, Liphook etc if you paid me.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I'm not unhappy, just bored - 30yrs is a long time. I really fancy a change but it would mean leaving behind a bucket load of friends, although there's been a run of deaths lately and I worry that I'm getting close to the top of the list:eek:

tyke

Head Pro
Visit site
More than happy, only joined in April but so glad i decided to move. The course, facilities, clubhouse and the friendly membership have made the move easy.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Fundy when i joined it all those years ago it was a fantastic track but lately its went down hill ,the greenkeeper seems to be bullet proof just now and a managing secretary who ,well i'll not go there. I sat for 2 hours last season with him giving my points and the reply i got was where have you played this year thats better than here, i said where do you want me to start its was that bad.

The thing is hardly anyone is playing just now the Medals and sweeps are vastly undersrcibed so you would think they would take the hint but no there not. Was speaking with the lads i play with theres roughly 18 of us and most are thinking of jacking it next year ,there playing in all the local Opens just now just to get a game its that poor.

If i do move it would be Monifieth as i can play all year round with 2 courses and green fees of £430 a year and £80 club membership in the first year,there is some great course beside me like Alyth, Forfar ,Blairgowrie but winter golf there is out.

Steve, what do you thnk of Arbroath? It's 10 years or so since I played there and I thought it was a fantastic track. Think their fees are decent too.

Darth Fader

Club Champion
Visit site
Not happy and will be moving on, this is my second year and thanks to not balloting medal times its almost impossible to get to know folk. Even after a medal the majority jump in there cars and leave. Will be going back to my previous club, maybe not as good condition but a far better bunch of people and just all round more decent membership.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Steve, what do you thnk of Arbroath? It's 10 years or so since I played there and I thought it was a fantastic track. Think their fees are decent too.

Hi Val, not played it in years but pass every day going to work and it does look good, 9 out 9 in would bore me to tears and can be brutal with the sea be so close. Couple of guys in work play there but its not the best club wise.

Went for a few holes tonight and the course is burnt and running fast,they've cut the rough back thank god as it was brutal in parts ,its a tight track as it is but the greens are terrible ball bumping about all over, its a shame as it can be a great track .

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Very, I would like more scratch comps but don't think there would be a good turn out for them. Everything else is pretty good at the moment.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not happy and will be moving on, this is my second year and thanks to not balloting medal times its almost impossible to get to know folk. Even after a medal the majority jump in there cars and leave. Will be going back to my previous club, maybe not as good condition but a far better bunch of people and just all round more decent membership.

There's a lot to be said for that, it is why I would find it hard to leave RAGC. There are better courses but not sure if they are better clubs

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Couldnt be happier with my club. Course in fantastic condition and greens immaculate. Members joining us from clubs all around the area and ive not come across anywhere within a reasonable distance i would rather be a member at. Plenty of qualifying competitions and once you get your foot in the door theres loads of good lads to have a game with etc.

I hope that foot in the door has a white sock on the end of it...... :D

mearles

Visit site
Not really no, It is ran by the council and its just pathetic in all honesty. The greens are shocking! The driving range looks like its falling to bits and they hardly cut the grass. Never any tees for the range, rarely any score cards for the course. pro shop is quite often shut. Nobody is ever out on the course checking green fee's have been paid so people just walk on. wont be paying next year for sure

Iaing

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Quite happy.
the course is in superb nick, as it was last year.

Could be cheaper, but that's the outskirts of Glasgow for you. It would be nice if I was 10 mins drive closer, but it's nice and friendly.

Shiny

Head Pro
Visit site
Happy enough at the moment, the only thing that could tempt me to move is now that my missus is playing there are a couple of clubs in the area (Keighley and Cookridge) that are full equality meaning we can play together in all competitions at any time. So while we are playing evenings together now in the winter we cant really play together. A move would allow us to play together in medals and stablefords etc. All members are equal and we quite like that idea.