Are you embarrassed by your handicap??

Pin-seeker

Visit site
It's the first question other golfers ask you. You are judged by other golfers by your h/c. You only have to read the comments on this forum to know that.

In answer to the question, yes. Maybe this year............

Maybe so,but I couldn’t really give a toss what anyone thinks of my h/c tbh.
I certainly wouldn’t be embarrassed by it.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm embarrassed it's so high, I should be at least half of what I am but I can't string 18 holes together when it counts.

Maybe this is the year...
I am embarrassed for you Jim. You should be giving me a lot more shots, though you did crack when you played off 6.:D

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
So the assessment is, those that want to improve and be the best they can be are probably bothered to a degree and those that are no hopers make out they don't care cause they are no hopers :rofl:

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
answer yes. I’m off 14. I have two lessons a month. I seldom practice, but when I do it’s meaningful. I’m embarrassed because I don’t try harder. I’m embarrassed that I’ll get a score going but blow it. I’m embarrassed I’m lazy when it comes to getting better.
The seasons coming up and so are those embarrassing shanky NR’s I always get at the start of the season.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So the assessment is, those that want to improve and be the best they can be are probably bothered to a degree and those that are no hopers make out they don't care cause they are no hopers :rofl:

Being bothered and being embarrassed are 2 different things

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site

I would write that the assessment is those that are wanting to be better golfers are bothered about their handicaps, but I wouldn't say embarrassment comes into it anywhere and the others are those who play golf for the enjoyment, who just want some fresh air and mild exercise while not being stuck inside.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I would write that the assessment is those that are wanting to be better golfers are bothered about their handicaps, but I wouldn't say embarrassment comes into it anywhere and the others are those who play golf for the enjoyment, who just want some fresh air and mild exercise while not being stuck inside.

Indeed, there is a difference between the competitive golfer and the social golfer :thup:

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Being bothered and being embarrassed are 2 different things

If you say so :rofl:

Being bother and being embarrassed are indeed two different things.

Being bothered or passionate enough to care about wanting to improve is creditable whether it be golf, a computer game or anything else for that matter.

Being embarrassed, ashamed or feeling self-conscious about your handicap may occur if you are of a high handicap and get belittled by those whose handicaps are better, but then that is a whole different situation and no one should ever be made to feel embarrassed because of a lack of ability.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I am not embarrassed by the number. I was slightly annoyed that I did not manage to get a single cut all year last year, even though I felt that my game had improved a lot. I just never managed to get a score together in a comp (and there were only very few qualifying comps available ... I even won one of them and came third in another one, both times with exactly 36 pts.). I decided not to worry about it anymore, though, but just to play it as it comes.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Used to be.

Used to be far more inconsistent and frustrating golfer. Played of 17 but was quite capable of playing single figures. After hitting a massive drive with a draw or hitting a pitch close I'd always feel a bit embarrassed, especially as I would get comments like "how the hell do you play of 17".

Down to 8 now which I think is a much fairer representation as I still have inconsistency.

Looking back now I wouldn't worry about it. Look at the pros they can shoot 65 or 75 in consecutive rounds. Don't feel embarrassed because you had a good day, because no doubt a bad day is around the corner and that's why we have the handicaps we do

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was last year when playing off 21, purely because I knew I was able to play better than that.

Now I'm off 8 i'm fine with it.

Trying to get myself to understand its just a hobby and isn't the end of the world, but the competitiveness is me doesn't allow that!

D

Deleted member 21258

Handicap embarrassed by, no, sometimes with the way I have played tho, yeah, don't get why handicap comes into the mix tbh.

I just wish to play good golf (in ideally a relaxing fun non serious environment).

The problem with trying to play good golf, is that the goalposts keep moving along the journey, when I first started it was break 100, then play to 18 handicap, break 90, then it was break 80, play to single figures, then break par, chip better, putt butter, hit long drives, hit better iron shots, done all of those but at no stage was my goal of playing good golf ever achieved.

Golf is a mind blowing annoying game that you never play good at and you always feel you have left some out there. Grrrrrrr:mad:

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I was last year when playing off 21, purely because I knew I was able to play better than that.

Now I'm off 8 i'm fine with it.

Trying to get myself to understand its just a hobby and isn't the end of the world, but the competitiveness is me doesn't allow that!

Don't think anyone would be embarrassed going from 21 to 8 in a year, top work :thup: