Are you embarrassed by your handicap??

D

Deleted Member 1156

Yes I am, just over a year ago I was off 4, now I'm off 6 (5.6) so that is a 50% increase :eek:

D

Deleted member 15344

So the assessment is, those that want to improve and be the best they can be are probably bothered to a degree and those that are no hopers make out they don't care cause they are no hopers :rofl:

When you were wondering a while back about infractions and people getting banned it’s posts like above that will get people annoyed

You started a good thread and it’s a very good question to ask - some people are very much Handicap driven - some wish they were lower and some don’t really care what their handicap is

But to suggest that people who aren’t that bothered about their handicap are no hopers is poor - it’s either posting for the sake of a reaction ( trolling £ or you are making poor judgments about people

I play off 4 - I don’t practise or have lessons and just go out to enjoy the game that is a hobby for me - if my handicap goes down great , if it goes up - oh well - not really bothered either way - does that make me a “no hoper” ?

Your posts are doing nothing but insulting people at best. Maybe give it a rest.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
People need to relax and stop taking posts personally if they are getting "annoyed" and the rolling out of trolling is tedious in the extreme.

I bet had any other poster said that it wouldn't have been highlighted...get a grip oh yerselves.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Embarrassed - no way, it totally reflects my golfing ability. 26 handicappers and proud - some days I'll win a bit of money from my mates and some days I won't be able to hit the ball and lose some money.

That's my golf.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
When you were wondering a while back about infractions and people getting banned it’s posts like above that will get people annoyed

You started a good thread and it’s a very good question to ask - some people are very much Handicap driven - some wish they were lower and some don’t really care what their handicap is

But to suggest that people who aren’t that bothered about their handicap are no hopers is poor - it’s either posting for the sake of a reaction ( trolling £ or you are making poor judgments about people

I play off 4 - I don’t practise or have lessons and just go out to enjoy the game that is a hobby for me - if my handicap goes down great , if it goes up - oh well - not really bothered either way - does that make me a “no hoper” ?

Your posts are doing nothing but insulting people at best. Maybe give it a rest.

:blah::blah: pot kettle black......:rofl:

Picking on a poor Tour Rickie

D

Deleted member 15344

:blah::blah: pot kettle black......:rofl:

Picking on a poor Tour Rickie

It’s quite interesting Sam - a few people have said the same thing about you that away from the keyboard you are actually a nice guy , you aren’t this brash bold arrogant bell - so why when you get behind a keyboard do you act differently ? Is it to hide some social awkwardness ? Maybe some other issues where you can hide behind an Internet persona. Bit sad really don’t you think especially if you have got to the stage where you can’t be yourself and have to pretend when you use a keyboard. Just be yourself - we won’t judge promise ;) :D

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It’s quite interesting Sam - a few people have said the same thing about you that away from the keyboard you are actually a nice guy , you aren’t this brash bold arrogant bell - so why when you get behind a keyboard do you act differently ? Is it to hide some social awkwardness ? Maybe some other issues where you can hide behind an Internet persona. Bit sad really don’t you think especially if you have got to the stage where you can’t be yourself and have to pretend when you use a keyboard. Just be yourself - we won’t judge promise ;) :D

Strange you keep throwing names up, last week I was Craw.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not embarrassed by my handicap, I’m the lowest I’ve ever been off 7. However it annoys me how I hit the ball sometimes. Currently my iron play is distinctly average.

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Strangely whilst proud I was a little embarrassed when I got to 9 last year as my game was nowhere near other 9 handicappers at my place and subsequently has gone to pot since. I even felt, subconsciously, that more eyes were on me and that I was being judged all the time. Some may call it paranoia but I wanted to answer the OPs point honestly nonetheless.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The OP expresses feeling some embarrassment when he shoots beneath his handicap - maybe quick regularly? Well that's golf and how the handicap system works. In my mind my handicap reflects my stretch game - when things go well and little goes wrong.

When I get to a new lower handicap my actual scores will fluctuate around it for while (transition) - and my handicap may go up a point or two - maybe back up a shot - but then I'll get back down. Eventually I'll be playing regularly, if not always, within the buffer (unless something serious unusual is off) - I might not be coming down points but I'm not going up; and then I'll find myself playing a good bit better that my handicap - but not doing it in comps. And then I'll start doing one or two under handicap in comps and I'll be coming down points. That's golf - it's all about transitions between levels - and to come down you have to be playing quite a bit under you current handicap quite regularly in friendly golf - and then you convert in a comp. And you come down.

Am I myself embarrassed by my handicap? Nope. 8.1 is fine unless I have a dose of the s***ks. That can be a bit embarrassing...but I just tell folks that I know what I'm doing wrong - and the world is the OK :)

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes in an honest way. I guess I don’t have one but I always say 12 as I have no idea what it actually should be but I have little chance of actually playing to it.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
You've misinterpreted it or I've not made it clear, my handicap is around 3 -4 shots higher now than I played to before.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You've misinterpreted it or I've not made it clear, my handicap is around 3 -4 shots higher now than I played to before.

Ah right - your embarrassment is that you're not as good as you used to be? Ach - all of us will be there. I was off six 25 yrs ago and drifted up to 13.4 about 7 or 8 yrs ago. That's just how it was.