Are you embarrassed by your handicap??

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I'm slightly embarrassed by my handicap when folk ask because I have played to a few shots lower, what about yourself ?

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I play of 23 and is probably a fair reflection of where I’m at, at the moment, I’ve played better than my handicap and also played worse.
One thing I would say is that everyone I’ve played with has been good company and offered advice on the way round.
Im certainly not embarrassed by it, as someone who has played a bit of sport growing up, golf is hard!!

Whats your handicap Cabby and why do you feel embarrassed by it?

D

Deleted member 15344

Nope not embarrassed but would like to go a little lower hopefully

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not embarrassed by my handicap, would certainly like it to be lower and know that I can get it lower. I have played steady golf the last couple of years to stay around the same number.

I suppose it currently reflects how much effort and commitment I have put in to improving over the last couple of years. Hoping this year will be different and looking to put in more effort.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sure am at times ,my handicap has went up 6 shots over the past years but i realise with the condition i have I'm lucky i can still play golf

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A bit yes but probably in the opposite way to a lot of others.

My playing handicap is 13 however for the last 18 months family has really curtailed my golf and practice is now non-existent. When I go out I find myself hacking around the course and there is little consistency. I'd imagine it's what people who insist on having a 'vanity handicap' feel like.

Membership is up in April and i'll let it lapse and either join another club on a low fee/flexible membership or just not be a member and enjoy social golf.

D

Deleted member 16999

Frustrated and annoyed, can’t score well with a card in my hand (true reflection of handicap imo) but in bounce games have put some great rounds together.
Our Course currently playing all comps as non-qualifiers Nov-Apr, best I’ve managed in a comp is 39 points, got 45 points yesterday in a bounce game! :mad:

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yep, especially the way I chomp it round after telling them what it is on paper :rofl:

Aye typically after they say something like "I'll just relax and watch you show me how it's done....."

Followed by me repeatedly saying "I'm not usually this bad...." (need to get out of that habit!)

Lwatson-jones

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Nope, not much embarrasses me.

more often than not, I play to somewhere around my h/c
sometimes over, sometimes under.

I play my golf for my own pleasure, and love every stroke I play (be it good or bad), and don't really care what others think.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I can’t see how anyone would be embarrassed by their handicap.
People take this game way too seriously.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I can’t see how anyone would be embarrassed by their handicap.
People take this game way too seriously.
Must agree. Never embarrassed by my handicap, but I do hit some embarrassing shots.:eek: Praying that one of them will not be the opening tee shot at Turnberry on Saturday.:mad:

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Aye typically after they say something like "I'll just relax and watch you show me how it's done....."

Followed by me repeatedly saying "I'm not usually this bad...." (need to get out of that habit!)
or having to explain that your short game is normally the best aspect of your game after you duff a chip 1ft.

I'd ask people the question slightly different after thinking about it.

Do you throw a "but" in after you state your handicap?

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Certainly not.......mine's where it should be, I can play near it regularly on leisure knocks, but put a Medal Card in my hand and off White's,.....and playing to it suddenly
sharpens the senses.