Are you bothered about golf in the Olympics?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I haven't checked the full entry list but I suspect there's players entering and being able to represent their country that rarely if ever get to compete in a golf Major... and we've comments on the forum that would deny them that opportunity to win an Olympic medal because they're not very good on a skateboard or one of three different kinds of fencing, or three kinds of shooting a gun over various distances, or riding one of five different kinds of bicycle over goodness knows how many distances etc

In terms of global participation golf should be there and be celebrated

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
The Majors are the pinnacle of golf. Not the olympics.

The olympics ( and possibly now the worlds) are the pinnacle of athletics.

Golf and other sports are only at the olympics because of £$€ insert other currencies if need be.

edit to say, I understand why golf, football etc etc are in. But why does it have to be the best in the world, re football why have over 23’s playing. It just makes a mockery. If golf is at the olympics, make it the same as Majors where amateurs play.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Find that nowadays tiddly winks can be an olympic sport not every sport needs it's own category at the olympics. Honestly no interest in golf at the olympics - the players only care about getting the golf medal just because it's a win rather than the prestige of being an olympic athlete. Especially with the GB golfers - they have finances from the tour etc, whereas a lot of olympians are struggling to pay their way and train at the same time to become champions.

Yawn.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I struggle to find the relevance of golf in the Olympics. No one not into golf is likely to get into a 4 day individual event. Many Fans are not interested in a down graded field from what they see week in week out.

I can’t help feeling pairs match play would have been a better format, but I don’t feel it belongs.
My feelings are the same. Would not be bothered if they dropped golf.
But if they are going to have it, then several different formats might spark more interest.
Long Driving Competition in some form.
9 holes of long putting knockout - could all be done in one day or leave 18-hole semi-finals and final to second day.
18 -hole strokeplay, top 16 into a knockout.
Many more possibilities I'm sure.
But please drop the 72 holes strokeplay! So boring for non-golfers.

D

Deleted member 15344

No interest- imo it shouldn’t be in the Olympics

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not bothered about the Olympics full stop! But golf is a sport as good as any other so might as well have it there. At least there only two medals for it, one male one female unlike some of the other disciplines which are massively bloated... but that's another topic (literally).

How many times can one man test positive? He must be out partying and clubbing every night..... either that or someone in the lab is just plain messing with him?
I was wondering this, that's the third time for Rahm isn't it?? What the hell has he been doing with himself?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not that bothered either way.
The Olympics is a multi sport event some of which interest me others don't.
I'll probably never watch underwater synchronized skeet shooting no matter who is competing. I'd probably find the golf a bit more interesting if they made it match play.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
My feelings have changed on this, the way Rose et al treated the last one in Rio, I thought it was potentially a major given its prestige and rarity. Now its become clear that the players have zero interest as a group. Probably because of the missing $$$. Its definitely a second string event, and in effect tarnishes the Olympics!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is a bit of golf on TV so that is a plus point. I see no great signficance in it as a tournament but it will be golf on a TV channell that I can watch and so that is a benefit.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm all for it. It's a bit different seeing them compete for their countries rather than for $s.

I'm struggling to find it on the TV guides though. Does anyone know what time & channel it's being broadcast on?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm all for it. It's a bit different seeing them compete for their countries rather than for $s.

I'm struggling to find it on the TV guides though. Does anyone know what time & channel it's being broadcast on?

starts just before midnight on Wednesday night, so not the best of timing for uk viewers, the womens the same time starting next Tuesday night