Are you bothered about golf in the Olympics?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Bryson has tested positive and had been replaced by Reed - where do you stand on the Games?
Quite enjoyed 2016 but think I was more up to speed on the Qatar Masters than what’s happening in Tokyo.
Then again if Fleetwood, Rory, Lowry, Leishman, Smith or Hovland won gold I’d love it (less so Casey)

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I struggle to find the relevance of golf in the Olympics. No one not into golf is likely to get into a 4 day individual event. Many Fans are not interested in a down graded field from what they see week in week out.

I can’t help feeling pairs match play would have been a better format, but I don’t feel it belongs.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I'm not all that interested in any of the Olympics really.

I do feel that golf missed an opportunity to do something different from what they do every week. Maybe something like a 4 person mixed scramble of mixed foursomes.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Outside of the majors and the Ryder Cup I have little interest in the pro-game at the best of times so golf in the Olympics doesnt float my boat in the slightest.....as others have said, if they'd come up with some sort of team format...possibly mixed, rather than a run of the mill strokeplay event then it might have garnered some interest.

FourPutt

Head Pro
Visit site
No more than I am about any other event that isn’t one of the majors. i.e. not a great deal. If I’m sat at home I’ll often have the golf on TV, and if that happens to be the Olympics, great. The only ones I really have more than a passing interest in are the majors.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
There should not be a sport at the Olympics which is played elsewhere as the pinnacle of that sport.
Golf, tennis, football etc.
The whole idea of the Olympics , to my mind, was that it was the place where the best in those events/sports tested themselves against each other, every four years.
The winner was thus the best in the world at that time.
The inclusion of sports where this is not the case is not in that "spirit".

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Looking forward to it (far more than I do for the USPGA championship)

Showcase the format that's at the pinnacle of the sport, ind strokeplay
(it's not some mickey mouse event to 'try something new'.
That would actually be a bit of an insult to the Olympics)
Once /if golf gets reestablished as an Olympic event then you can introduce others formats for scoring/play /teams etc, maybe even bring in long drive etc, (jeez skateboarding is in there these days!)

Far more appealing than shooting types of guns