• Yes

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 70 87.5%

• Total voters

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Oh, thought I had missed something, doh, sorry :oops: thought you may have forgotten the details :p:LOL:

Was it cold that day, hope one day to have the pleasure of your company again on the golf course, most enjoyable round. Its a round I often remember and it brings a smile to my face. Happy days

My fault, I didn't make it clear. It was the day my eye got bloodshot in the wind, and froze solid - I enjoyed it too, I always remember you teeing off in the wrong direction for a par 3 ??

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
88% of drivers consider themselves to be above average at driving. True fact.

The above poll suggests a surprisingly similar bias in golfers !
I don't think that is necessarily true.
One of the sad things about slow golf it seems to me is that it it generated by a fairly small number of golfers in general.
If a course is even moderately busy pace of play is not dependent on the pace of the average golfer on it but often on the slowest .
At my home course I will often play in under three hours with other groups on the course which suggests the majority are playing at a decent speed with some groups though play can slow drastically which can affect many on the course.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I genuinely think that, at times, I play too quickly. I have no pre-shot routine, don’t tend to take a full practice swing, and do think I would perhaps benefit from slowing things down a bit. I’m just one of those people who hates waiting.

So slow? Definitely not.

SHiiBBZ

Club Champion
Visit site
I play off 15-18 ish. Tee'd off at 8am yesterday with a friend and we'd finished by 11.20. Ended up going round front 9 again and being done by 1.30 after a beer and a sausage sandwich!

No practice swings, don't line every single putt up (probably should) - just get up there and hit it.

I probably could be better if I took more time, but slow golf bores the hell out of me.

The Lion

Visit site
I'm not really slow, but answered Yes just to boost the numbers! As a returning golfer, I have been concerned over my pace at times, so have asked many pps. Most have said no I'm not slow. But I'll be honest and say I still take time over short putts and lining putts up - as after all, if you miss there may be another putt to line up, so you could take twice as long.

Playing solo I take around 2h30-2h45 to complete most rounds, but this often includes practice shots etc. Record round was around 2h20 at East Devon, literally running around to finish before darkness won the battle. Included some time looking for balls though too!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I play off 15-18 ish. Tee'd off at 8am yesterday with a friend and we'd finished by 11.20. Ended up going round front 9 again and being done by 1.30 after a beer and a sausage sandwich!

No practice swings, don't line every single putt up (probably should) - just get up there and hit it.

I probably could be better if I took more time, but slow golf bores the hell out of me.

Good on you. There's a difference between a fun game with a mate, and the final round of The Open! Issues arise when folk play as IF it is the final round of The Open! :)

SHiiBBZ

Club Champion
Visit site
Good on you. There's a difference between a fun game with a mate, and the final round of The Open! Issues arise when folk play as IF it is the final round of The Open! :)

100% and I think if I was playing a comp (which I don't really do) I'd take a bit more time.

I've actually found my golf is worse when I overthink it. It helps I'm quite a big hitter, so I don't spend a lot of time needing accurate mid-iron shots. Most of the Par 4's at my place I'm driver, wedge which definitely helps with speed.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I’d like to think not, when I first ascended to 18 hole golf my dad told me I was slow so I’ve always tried to be quick.
Also if I can’t score or I’m playing poop I will gladly pick up to save time.

Albo

Visit site
I’m not slow but likewise I’m not a jogger. One thing for sure is pace of play is maintained at all costs, and if we are playing slower as a group those behind are called through
See if everyone had this attitude, for me slow play wouldnt bother me in the slightest.
It's waiting on tees, fairways etc for a group who are a hole or more behind the group in front that make slow play such a thing.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
The worst thing about being a quick and considerate player is to feel you have to go faster to compensate for the slow players in your group who have no idea that they are slow, or have any consideration for the group they are holding up, and never want to call them through. This obviously can mess up your own game.

My resolution for this year is to call through every group that gets held up behind my group, irrespective of what the slower players think.

At my club we have a random draw, so there may be some words! :D

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That’s my point rabbit, I’m always aware of pace of play and as such I’m generally ready to play most shots, however there is only so much you can do to compensate others in your group without ruining your own game. I can be ready to play at every opportunity but if the other 3 are slow you’re screwed. I’ll generally make 2-3 comments “ guys we’re losing pace” which is normally followed by “ we’re now starting to hold up behind “. If at this point no improve on pace has happened then “ I’m calling them through “

Problem solved.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Intresting one today

Traffic on the 1st today so instead of waiting for 2 groups to tee off. We crossed to the 3rd.

6 of us playing. Ball toss split us into two groups. As luck should have it. 2 notoriously quick players in group 1 along with someone you would class as normal.
Group 2. Myself who I wouldn't class as quick with two brothers who are also in the same bracket.

No one ahead of us. Group 1 tees off and we follow. Really windy day. Blowing a gale in fact. After 4 holes I notice group 1 is pulling away from us. We aren't dawdling. We are playing fairly well. Yet group 1 is still pulling away from us.

We played 14 holes and called it a day by the club house. Group 1 has competed 16 holes. A full two holes ahead.

The group behind us have two fairly slow players and a fast one. We actually pulled away from them.

So there we have it. 3 groups all playing at differnt speeds.

We did talk about speed of play and my mate made a point about the difference between us and the fast guys. He said we all stand and watch the tee shots in the air till they land. The guys in group one are in as soon as you hit teeing up right away. It's all these wee things that add up over the course or the round.

I certainly cant put myself in the fast category. I really dont like to storm around the course. There has to be room on the spectrum for a middle of the road pace and that's where I like to be.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Some actions to appease the fast play brigade :
- ban the use of laser range finders
- ban having mobile phone on the course completely
- ban the recording of scores or clubs played in apps
- ban standing astride the line of a putt (aimpoint, yes, that you)
- ban people going to a playing companions ball : go straight to your own only, not continue chatting with you mate when he is on one side of the fairway before going to your own
- impose a flag stick in the hole no matter what. Stick out, stick in, stick out. Oh sorry I dont mind it in actually. ah, for this length I prefet it back in, do you mind....

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
- ban people going to a playing companions ball : go straight to your own only, not continue chatting with you mate when he is on one side of the fairway before going to your own
- impose a flag stick in the hole no matter what. Stick out, stick in, stick out. Oh sorry I dont mind it in actually. ah, for this length I prefet it back in, do you mind....

They won't appease anyone. Might wind a few people up though.

D

Deleted member 1147

I play quickly and use a laser, help pp’s find a ball, read sports results on my phone, read putts, take the pin out etc.

I just do all of them quickly. As do many of my quick playing mates!