Are we predisposed to our "natural" shot shape or can we change it?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Re: Are we predisposed to our "natural" shot shape or can we change it?

I'm predisposed....I wish I could fade an iron. I get the open stance clubface aimed and target sand swing along your feet line.....but it just goes left.

Weaken your grip a touch

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I can slice the ball with the best of them, often a couple of fairways. But, when you get better you cut them out, so my natural shot has changed in the irons, they go pretty straight, which in itself causes problems when I'm expecting a cut.

Mini and 7 wood I can draw off the tee, but mainly play for the straight shot.

Driver is another issue, total lottery, longest drives I've hit do have a couple yards left to right.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

As an aside I'm a drawer with my irons and never slice even long irons- my bad shot is a flippy hook. My 3 wood can go either way depending on the day i'm having.

xcore

Head Pro
Visit site

My driver currently is either straight ifnim lucky or starts right then sharply dives left (snap hook?) my irons and hybrid generally draw. I do sometimes straight push my 4 iron.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I don't think it matters which way you move the ball as long as it's not excessive.

Just work on improving your swing to make whatever happens repeatable, and stick with whatever shape that gives you.

Too many golfers think a draw is sexier and go after it rather than improving contact.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site

Something to consider for the OP. Martin Kaymer tried to change his shot shape to suit Augusta. It pretty much derailed his game for a couple of years. Given that he has more talent than probably all of us put together, I would suggest that if he struggled to get it done, for us mere mortals it's probably asking for trouble.

Keep you stock shape and learn to control it. Work on being able to play the other shots at the range, it's actually good fun trying to hit stuff that doesn't occur naturally and it's good for you to be able to identify how it's done.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site

There's no such thing as a "natural" shape it's all down to how you happen to swing the club which is easily (sort of) changed.

I started with a fade but it tended to be a pretty high and poor ball flight especially with driver. Didn't set out to hit a draw but just working on my swing path, shoulder turn and contact and the fade became a draw. I hit it much further with a better ball flight now although thats down to much more than just shot shape.

Agree with the words of caution, though, my bad shot is now an ugly duck hook which is a very destructive shot when it shows up! Although the old bad shot was a massive slice that wasn't exactly friendly either.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site

I have a 'natural' shot shape that is most definitely a slice. I have tried a couple of times to change this to a draw and given up due to the pressures of having to try and maintain some semblance of a score. However I periodically revisit this and 4-5 weeks ago decided to 'write off' some competitions to keep at it (so to speak) and for the past 2 weeks in competition, some real gains have been made. I have a high ball flight, and I still have this with the draw. Tee shots and wedges are vastly improved.

I'm sticking with it.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

My usual shot shape is left to right, for years it was massively left to right but it has slowly along with a course of lessons started to decrease. After a few tweaks yesterdays in my lesson I started to see some lovely straight shots, should have went for a lesson earlier in the year.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

different types of physicality will play into swing tendencies & so the predominant shot shapes

by far the biggest influence tends to be that folks pick up a lot of games. sports and skill sets on their own

the older the age group that take up golf the more likely they are to 'go it alone' from the get-go & have buddies influence
but as golf is a counterintuitive game this as a norm doesn't usually work out so good so the prevalence of left to right flight shot shapes (rh player) as well as strike contact issues

folks who start out as younger kids in the game usually more inclined to experiment with how to swing as to how the ball then travels & looking for distance develop the movement to produce that through speed and sequence to find a 'draw pattern'

also at that earlier age they are better 'mimics' to copy a tour type model swing motion - they are more flexible and mobile - so generally tend to lean to develop a predominant right to left flight

with guidance folks can change swing patterns to either ease out large unwanted flight curvature and tighten up the range of curve or learn to produce an opposite flight pattern - requires lessons, self knowledge, good practice time so some effort involved but can be done for sure

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Like so many I have gone from a fade to a draw. It wasn't really a choice. It just happened to be a grip change and I was hitting the ball waaay to high
the bad shots are soul destroying .....
I mean they cost me so so much