Are Golf Course Architects Any Good?

evemccc

Visit site
I wonder how many golf clubs have wanted to get a named golf course architect involved and then not managed the process properly because golf clubs are run by old men with high handicaps and are resistant to change?

That sounds rather loaded…You sound like you have a story to tell from your own experiences or anecdotes of such an occasion?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We had a company in a few years back. The changes were put to the members for comment but so far none have been implemented despite their being some good recommendations. Finance and manpower have probably been the main issues as other more urgent projects have taken place.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I think Architects are genius's to be honest.

Watch Rick Shiels video with the chap that designed JCB from scratch - its awesome to hear how he works his way around a course in his head, what he see's as possible etc.

Provides an insight that Id never had before!

D

Deleted member 21445

Im actually filming a video with Ken Moodie from Creative Golf in March.
He has worked on over 20 new golf course developments and advised more than 60 golf clubs on course improvement work, including two Open Championship venues and a number of Open qualifying courses.

He is currently working on a redesign of all 18 holes at my home course Pleasington GC and after this winter 12 holes are completed.

The video will be about the process of redesigning holes 6, 10 & 11 that have taken place this winter.
6 & 11 were very ordinary holes and they are now going to be some of the best holes on the course.

Really looking forward to spending some time with him and filming the videos.

evemccc

Visit site
Personally I don’t like the seemingly ‘signature’ design from Martin Ebert of having huge waste areas and blown-out bunkers on links courses — particularly the huge waste-areas

Ganton (18th) is huge, Princes is full of it, and the 18th at Deal has it 50 yards from the tee….why? That shouldn’t be a hazard at 50 yards…

Give me sandhills, humps, thick rough and light fescue over a giant sandy waste area that looks ugly and I cannot see the point of

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Personally I don’t like the seemingly ‘signature’ design from Martin Ebert of having huge waste areas and blown-out bunkers on links courses — particularly the huge waste-areas

Ganton (18th) is huge, Princes is full of it, and the 18th at Deal has it 50 yards from the tee….why? That shouldn’t be a hazard at 50 yards…

Give me sandhills, humps, thick rough and light fescue over a giant sandy waste area that looks ugly and I cannot see the point of
Totally agree ref the bunkers, we have had to sure up quite a few and actually put revetted sections back in some of them to stop the sand blowing out. The whole point why revetted bunkers was started some 100 years ago was because the old type of sheep scrape type bunkers collapsed and or the sand blew out. I'm not a fan of putting bunkers in the middle of the fairway either, which he'd done at ours and Bruntsfield.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Totally agree ref the bunkers, we have had to sure up quite a few and actually put revetted sections back in some of them to stop the sand blowing out. The whole point why revetted bunkers was started some 100 years ago was because the old type of sheep scrape type bunkers collapsed and or the sand blew out. I'm not a fan of putting bunkers in the middle of the fairway either, which he'd done at ours and Bruntsfield.

I am reminded of my first time of playing Burnham and Berrow, before the days of yardage books, beautiful drive straight down the middle of one hole (the 7th from memory) and the ball disappeared from sight. It was in a pot bunker that could not be seen from the tee.

Radbourne2010

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mmksolutions.co.uk

Wait until you see the 17th at Royal Liverpool 🤦‍♂️

evemccc

Visit site
Wait until you see the 17th at Royal Liverpool 🤦‍♂️

Yep seen it, played it and parred it 😁👍🏻

Think it’s a wonderful hole actually and especially as the 17th (members 15th) but it needs the wind to blow in the Open

You’re right I don’t like the gratuitous waste areas — it would work with just large bunkers surrounding it — but a very short hole with a huge rise to a domed green with danger EVERYWHERE if you miss - and into the prevailing wind…it’s great. Like an inverted Postage Stamp sort of

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pay your money for an architect but some will like the changes some won’t.
if They put three bunkers up the right all the slicers will hate it.

I don’t like pot bunkers with revetted faces on parkland courses.
or greens that have slopes that are to severe.

sunshine

Visit site

I'm a fan of the waste areas at Princes. They look great, over time they are settling down and look much more natural (e.g. par 3 2nd on the Dunes loop).

Sandy waste area 50 yards in front of the tee is better than waist high rough. At least I have a chance of finding my ball after another topped drive :ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 21258

I love the sandy areas, being bought back into life at various courses.

More playable than rough, look better than rough/gorse and some have history and dont forgot that many links courses are sand dunes, so were sand to start with with the nature than grew over the sand in recent years.

For instance the 18th at Ganton

Ganton-Golf-Club_1_950x534.jpg12.png
Ganton-Golf-Club_2_950x534.jpg

Ganton-Golf-Club_3_950x534.jpg

What it became :-
Ganton-Golf-Club-1_web.jpg
And now restored :-
Pandypic1-2000x626.jpg

sunshine

Visit site
I think most people could look at a golf hole and think of ways of improving it by moving bunkers, tees etc. But a golf architect will understand the implications of making those changes much better, and how to implement it.

As for new builds, it's amazing how an architect can take an empty piece of land and visualise a routing. What imagination to be able to do that. To be fair, today's architects have so many great layouts to take their inspiration from. I am in awe of how the likes of Colt, MacKenzie and Braid laid out courses a hundred years ago that are still enchanting today.