Are Golf CLUB Mobile Apps the way of the future ?

DavidTaylor

Visit site
I recently played at the Pwllheli golf club in North Wales, and downloaded the free mobile app that they have available, which has probably as much, if not more functionality than a website.
Do you think that this is the way that things are going in the future, as most if not all golf clubs have websites, but only a handful have mobile apps, and more and more people seem to be using their mobile for everything ?
Regards
Dave

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dave - what does the app do?

Sounds interesting, but I'm not sure I'd be that bothered with it, as I barely look at websites anyway, just to take the phone number, check greens fees and get a postcode maybe.

DavidTaylor

Visit site
Hi Dave,
It has quite a lot eg Course planner, local weather, book tee times, green fees, accommodation, live maps, news, scorecard and statistics, special offers and packages (eg play with a former European Tour Pro), etc. We have found it pretty handy.
D

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi Dave,
It has quite a lot eg Course planner, local weather, book tee times, green fees, accommodation, live maps, news, scorecard and statistics, special offers and packages (eg play with a former European Tour Pro), etc. We have found it pretty handy.
D

hmmm 'local weather' - is that allowed whilst playing?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi Dave,
D

Sounds good. Cheers.

I also guess once you've downloaded it, you don't need internet, which would suit me.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Think it will be the future for progressive clubs but mine is yet to get a decent website together!

What I am surprised about is not seeing a stroke saver app. Imagine going to a new course. The night before you were able to download the stroke saver for around the cost of the paper version. Voila. A static, course guide that can be used within the rules without falling into the DMD argument but handily on your mobile phone where it wont need dug out of a drawer for the next time you play there. The reason it doesn't fall into the DMD argument is because you aren't using the phone as a DMD. You are using it to view information that was prepared prior to the round. Same as being able to record club yardages as a note on your phone and refer to them during play for example.

Last edited: