Are club golfers making it harder on themselves?

RobertB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Good argument for combos. The long irons in my MP53 set are easy to hit and the blade type 8 to PW give loads of feel.

A casual perusal at T-M suggests that their GI cavity back irons are actually 0.5-1+ degree stronger than my Titleist MBs, and in fact, the T-M MBs are loftier than their CBs in the 4-7 bracket where combo sets might be considered.

The Cobra BiO cell 4I has a 20 degree loft vs. my 712MBs 4I at 24 degree.... the BiO 5I is 23 degrees...! (go looooooong!)

so it's necessary to compare like with like...that BiO cell 4I is stronger lofted than my 913H 21 degree..... no wonder high handicappers might find it hard to hit some GI long irons.......

you'll need all the peripheral weighting in world with a slight iffy swing hitting a 20 degree 4I..... its the nearest Titleist equivalent might be a "2.75" 712U.....

see blades, less gimmickry .... blade of forged metal, straightforward lofts... ;)

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
Interesting concept about blades not being as hot off the face

...and therefore more consistent with distance control - provided you hit the centre of the face most of the time. Another reason why they are favoured by pros - even though GI clubs are forgiving enough, the distance difference on minuscule off-centre hits can be alarmingly wide, whereas the blade is probably the opposite - in other words, the distance difference becomes more apparent the worse you hit it. Ever hit a random flyer that goes 10 yards further than you normally hit it for no apparent reason? If you use blades, then probably not :)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
...and therefore more consistent with distance control - provided you hit the centre of the face most of the time. Another reason why they are favoured by pros - even though GI clubs are forgiving enough, the distance difference on minuscule off-centre hits can be alarmingly wide, whereas the blade is probably the opposite - in other words, the distance difference becomes more apparent the worse you hit it. Ever hit a random flyer that goes 10 yards further than you normally hit it for no apparent reason? If you use blades, then probably not :)

I have on occasions had complete flyers that out of no where blow my brain, the most recent was into a 2 club wind, pin cut front at about 155/160, hit a 7i that never touched the green. Bushnell checked at 178yrds, never hit a 7i that far let alone into a 2 club wind.

Had a few flyers that day must have been a good swing day,

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
A bad shot with a blade will most likely be worse than a bad shot with a SGI iron - for most people.

As an aside or point of debate, when I was fitted a very definite trend showed up; miss-hits with the MP-58 (GI) retained the same distance but varied widely in dispersion. Miss-hits with the MP-68 (Blade) varied widely in length but held a much better line. On the basis that I'd suffer less for short than wide, i plumped for the 68's. The fact that they are a thing of beauty was just a bonus…...

And the demo session for some other GI irons is booked for Saturday morning.

Last edited:

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
A surprising benefit which I did not expect was the improvement in wedge accuracy from 70 yards in from having the correct lie angle. Pitches started going straight up and down which I had never seen before with standard wedges. Similarly chips now run "straight" compared to previously when I must have been coming across.

Personally the looks are fine when the shots are going the same distance and hitting the edge of the green when I completely mishit them

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Read back a page or two Duncan.....

you know I wouldn't have posted without reading! After a detailed review of the last 4 pages I'm none the wiser.

I was initially going to pick up on your first premise "So, why is if that club golfers in the area of 5-15 hc feel they need blades, they need small headed drivers and need the newest longest fairways when the tour pro' scant get the best from them." with something along the lines of 'they don't unless they are on forums' but I could see the promise in the wider aspects of the discussion :)

As to this particular issue - I would tactfully suggest that all manufacturers now deliver all their irons equally hot of the face ie bang on the limit of pendulum test protocol. It obviously hasn't always bee the case but that's history.

What Joe public actually does with the club is another matter entirely!

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
I bought a set of G25 Irons a few weeks back and now i regret it, i was brought up hitting blade type ish clubs M52,AP2 ,CB ETC ,granted they are easy to hit but I've lost about a club in length and I'm hitting big high moon balls which up where i play is no use, seriously thing of going Mizuno MP53 OR 63 or even Cally x hot Pro.