approx footage of putts

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
After a horror show on the greens on Sunday I went through my round and came to the approximate number of feet for the putts I holed in the round.

It came to a paltry 25 feet. Obviously quite a number of these were from less than a foot. Mere inches.

I am going to keep an eye on this for the next while. Not usually a stat taker but I think it could be useful making sure this is improved upon.

I am aware 1 big putt can skew the data like the 35 footer on the 1st which stopped an inch shy.

I read about a system to reduce this factor.

Any putt less than a foot counts as 1 foot.
Any of 10 foot and above only counts as 10 feet.

Going to keep an eye on the total feet made and use this system also. anyone else track this stat?

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Presently I don't, but have just been fitted for a putter and will receive for my birthday (in three weeks) so I might give it a go, I don't consider myself a bad putter in that my lag putting is OK, but I should make more putts from 6-10 feet. Are there comparative stats available for foots of putts made for various h/c's ?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Presently I don't, but have just been fitted for a putter and will receive for my birthday (in three weeks) so I might give it a go, I don't consider myself a bad putter in that my lag putting is OK, but I should make more putts from 6-10 feet. Are there comparative stats available for foots of putts made for various h/c's ?

hadnt really looked for that yet.

i did see the guy mention 50foot as a target for the +10 max method mentioned above.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Does it REALLY matter?
If you make GIR and 2 putt all the time but you always leave your first putt within 2 ft (36ft over a round) is that worse than sinking a 35ft on 1 single hole and 2 feet everywhere else leaving you with a very appealing 72ft of putts made....but not a level par round?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does it REALLY matter?
If you make GIR and 2 putt all the time but you always leave your first putt within 2 ft (36ft over a round) is that worse than sinking a 35ft on 1 single hole and 2 feet everywhere else leaving you with a very appealing 72ft of putts made....but not a level par round?
Must admit I'm finding it hard to see the merit as well. If you chip well all round then your total putt distance will be low as well, one suspects. It also doesn't really account for how good or bad your long range putts are (i.e. leaving your first putt 6 foot short, but then sinking that one masks the poor first attempt). I don't know, it's certainly not a flawless stat.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nothing beats honest assessment for us handicap golfers.

We generally throw in excuses and reasons when an honest assessment is that we need to work on an area properly, or it's working well for us for our handicap.

Those days I hit the ball really well with the putter, have a great feel for the speed of the greens and tap in most of my second putts.....are also the days I could easily be 6 stokes better if i had read the lines or putted more positively!

My good scrambling days are my poor approach days, but usually my better putting days!

My best approach shot days are my worst tee shot ones; because I am forced (choose on a sensible day) to play out first and put the ball into a favoured distance with a good line for that days pin....

Pure stats on their own are very rarely meaningful in isolation (but then again anything over 100ft of putts sunk will make you feel very good about your performance on the green!)

pinberry

Club Champion
Visit site
Footage of putts is useless and it does not give you any indications about what areas of your putting need improvement. I suggest you download an app called OptimusPutt, where you can relatively easy work out your SGP after every round. It also breaks down putts holed by distance range - inside 5', 5-15' etc. This is what I keep track off.

As a general rule, poor putters suck between 5-8'. Beyond 8' starting to hole putts becomes more difficult. Usually, focussing on 3-4-5 footers will yield the most gains for almost everyone.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It doesn't need to be perfect. I just want to see an improvement in that number going up over time.

Felt a little better on Sunday night watching the PGA tour. Jordan spieth apparently didn't make a putt over 12 feet in 4 rounds. :rofl:

2 hours on the putting green today. Lets see if that will help.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Footage of putts is useless and it does not give you any indications about what areas of your putting need improvement. I suggest you download an app called OptimusPutt, where you can relatively easy work out your SGP after every round. It also breaks down putts holed by distance range - inside 5', 5-15' etc. This is what I keep track off.

As a general rule, poor putters suck between 5-8'. Beyond 8' starting to hole putts becomes more difficult. Usually, focussing on 3-4-5 footers will yield the most gains for almost everyone.

I did this and it transformed my putting

I'll get my coat :p

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I only record number of putts taken, not distances.
I have always worked on 2 putting from anywhere on the green, but not meaning to lag putt and always going for the hole.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So you could have an 8ft putt slightly uphill and straight and you would be content to 2 putt it?
I would be looking to hole it, as I would any length putt. My point is though that I always aim for max of 2 putts, and being in that mindset helps me.