approx footage of putts

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I only record number of putts taken, not distances.
I have always worked on 2 putting from anywhere on the green, but not meaning to lag putt and always going for the hole.
Agreed. In my GPS app you record number of putts alongside the total score, so I can see at the end how many 3 putts and 1 putts I made. If there's no 3 putts then I've putted reasonably well for me.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm not sure that feet holed is particularly insightful. If you have a series of long putts that you lag to a foot, you're putting well but your numbers won't reflect it.

SGP takes account of all these things. There are free apps/websites which are simple to use and will give you that number, why not use one of these for a few rounds? You could even compare the number with the putt lengths and see which one best reflects how you felt about your short stick.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Absolutely Bob, fretting over missing an 8 foot putt mid round shows poor mental stregnth.

Any two putt green is a confidence builder.

It absolutely isn't. I had 36 putts on Sunday. I am not sure how many my mate took but he told me he had 9 single putts. They were going in from all over. we both scored the same 7over par. he enjoyed his. My round was putting greys on my head. :rofl:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
You could even compare the number with the putt lengths and see which one best reflects how you felt about your short stick.

You could find fault with all of these putting stats/apps or whatever.

I know if I'm putting badly if I start missing putts I would normally expect to hole (given reasoable green conditions)

If I miss the aforementioned 8ft uphill straight putt, I know my technique is at fault.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Putting stats really do not tell a huge amount with us handicap golfers, unless we combine it with other stats. Looking at stats like putts per green in regulation is good as it shows how many birdie chances you are missing. You can have 18 putts and shoot level par cause you missed every green. Vice versa you can 27 putts and shoot 9 under cause you hit every green. Little bit of an extreme example, but it sort of makes my point.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
A good stat to look at is what my golfing buddy did. He knew he was hitting the ball really well and hitting a lot of greens, but still wan't scoring as low as he thought he should be. He used a score card and had each hole split up into 5ft, 10ft, 15ft and 20+ft. He ticked it if he made a putt from that length, crossed it if he didn't, also he marked if he hit the green in regulation. It became very obvious what his problem was, he never made any putts outside 10ft, hardly made anything between 5-10 and never missed inside 5ft.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As a general rule, poor putters suck between 5-8'. Beyond 8' starting to hole putts becomes more difficult. Usually, focussing on 3-4-5 footers will yield the most gains for almost everyone.

This is where the majority of my practice putting is focused. I also use a hole reducer from 2-3 feet as well. I also make sure the hole I am using has a degree of break so I have to allow for it. With the hole reducer on it puts a bigger emphasis on speed control. I do feel more confident on the short ones when it matters. I've started keeping statistics on how many I make in practice and I keep tabs on my putting stats when I play

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Putted a bit better this evening in our doubles match. Two bad 3 putts in a row on 7&8 got me a little anxious.

Made a few decent length ones under pressure on 16 and a nervey 6 footer on the last to take it down the 19th which we lost. :(

Certainly more than 25 feet of putts so that's moving in the right direction.

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Someone posted this recently and I have started using it to practice. there are a good few drills on putting at the beginning of it. Hopefully these, plus the ability to record how you do in practice, would see an increase in performance both in practice and then take that to the course as well.

Holing the 25 in a row form 3 feet is proving much more difficult than I thought. I give myself 5 shots at it then record the most I get from the 5 attempts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G6TENDh8dU