Apparently Monty has told his pairings

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
Good move or bad move? Personally I'm not sure naming the side for day one this far out from the tournament is a good thing, but Monty does like to do things his way...

Iain Carter reckons he'll pair Harrington with Donald, can't see that happening what a gamble if they both struggle and get soundly whooped by the Yanks. I do think he'll send Harrington out first though.

So what do you reckon the pairings on the first day will be? I think he'll go for:

Fourballs
Harrington / Westwood
Molinari / Molinari
Poulter / Kaymer
McIlroy / McDowell

Foursomes
Harrington / Fisher
Hanson / Jimenez
Donald / Poulter
McIlroy / McDowell

I think he'll want to ease Westwood in.

Over to you...

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I think that the parings of the 2 Molinari Boys , McIlroy & McDowell are a given

Harrington & westwood would be a formidable opening pair

I can see Poulter & Donald working

The rest as they say, could go either way

I'll be there on the Friday with Imurg. anyone else going? we could have a forum bevvy

Fragger

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Has Monty decided on whether he'll start with the Fourballs or Foursomes yet?
We're normallybetter at the foursomes so he might want to start with that and try to get a lead and some momentum.

funkyfred

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I believe this was sorted out ages ago. The fourball's are first on both Friday and Saturday starting at 7.45, (with 15 minutes gap)the foursome's start at 13.15.

I must say I find this unusual, plus the fact that the fourball will take longer to complete their matches, there is a chance that the last fourball could still be out on the course when the foursome's are due to start in the afternoon, and that's not taking into account any late start due to mist etc.

As for the singles on the Sunday they start at 11.35 with 12 minutes intervals.

As for teams, I think he might have his fourballs sorted, but will wait to see how things develop before he announces his afternoon foursomes.

Tiger

Money List Winner
Think Molinari's are certs for the foursomes.

Actually thats a good shout, but he has said everyone plays on day one. I suppose you could send out Jimenez and Hanson in the Fourball with Jimenez on hand to steady his nerves and allow Hanson to focus on just his ball.

funkyfred

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As for teams, I think he might have his fourballs sorted, but will wait to see how things develop before he announces his afternoon foursomes.

Apparently not, allegedly he has selected the team for the whole of Friday and will take stock Friday evening.

Iain Carter blog

Yes you are correct, Monty has said that everyone plays on Friday and they know who their partners will be, but he hasn't decided yet in what order.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Can't understand him picking his teams already if indeed he actually has...what happens if 1 guy is severely chopping it come Tuesday,Wednesday and Thursdays practice?

Keep Padraig out of the foursomes and we'll do alright.

I think Poulter and Fisher are a stick on as are the 2 Northern Irish lads and I would have Hanson as a foursomes man as he is steady as a rock and a great driver of the ball....time will tell and I am looking forward to it! :D

T

thecraw

Game one will be a certainty.

McIlroy / McDowall
Poulter / Kaymer
Harrington / Westwood
Molinari / Molinari

Fisher / Donald
Jiminez / Kaymer
Westwood / Poulter
McIlroy / McDowall

funkyfred

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

McIlroy / McDowall
Poulter / Kaymer
Harrington / Westwood
Molinari / Molinari

Fisher / Donald
Jiminez / Kaymer
Westwood / Poulter
McIlroy / McDowall

Craw

You have missed out Hanson, and Monty has said he will play all the players on the first day.

My thoughts are:

Fourballs

Poulter/Kaymer
McIlroy/Mcdowell
Harrington/Westwood
Fisher/Jiminez

Foursomes

Molinari/Molinari
Hanson/Kaymer
McIlroy/Mcdowell
Donald/Poulter.

I think the Molinari's will play the Foursomes because Franceso is so straight off the tee. I also think he will protect Westwood on the Friday and only give him the one game. I'll be surprise to see Fisher in the foursomes.

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Aaaah I see. Still think he is bonkers though. Tell the team yes that's fine, but tell the rest of the world you've told the team??????
What difference does it make if the world knows he's decided his pairings? Doesn't it just show confidence on his part? It's not as if he's announced who will play with whom and when.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site

McIlroy / McDowall
Poulter / Kaymer
Harrington / Westwood
Molinari / Molinari

Fisher / Donald
Jiminez / Kaymer
Westwood / Poulter
McIlroy / McDowall

Craw

You have missed out Hanson, and Monty has said he will play all the players on the first day.

My thoughts are:

Fourballs

Poulter/Kaymer
McIlroy/Mcdowell
Harrington/Westwood
Fisher/Jiminez

Foursomes

Molinari/Molinari
Hanson/Kaymer
McIlroy/Mcdowell
Donald/Poulter.

I think the Molinari's will play the Foursomes because Franceso is so straight off the tee. I also think he will protect Westwood on the Friday and only give him the one game. I'll be surprise to see Fisher in the foursomes.

Might put Fisher with Poulter and prefer MAJ in the foursomes. Hanson in the fourballs with Kaymer. Otherwise pairings look good.

Tiger

Money List Winner
Aaaah I see. Still think he is bonkers though. Tell the team yes that's fine, but tell the rest of the world you've told the team??????
What difference does it make if the world knows he's decided his pairings? Doesn't it just show confidence on his part? It's not as if he's announced who will play with whom and when.

But they'll be out practicing so surely the Yanks will be able to figure who is playing with who and set their team accordingly

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think it was a good idea to tell the players in advance as they have got time to plan their game and generally sort everything out mentally. Not so sure about telling the world although I'm not sure what the US can do about setting their team accordingly as it is all about the players on the day, and even more so in fouresomes.

I wonder what will happen though if Hanson doesn't shake of this chest infection he seems to have. Monty has until Thursday night to finally declare all runners and so I wonder if Casey might still slip in if Hanson doesn't make it.