Which 12 would you like to see playing in the 2012 Ryder Cup?

SirSliceAlot

Club Champion
Visit site
Who do you think will/should make the 10 autotmatic spots and who should get the 2 (tricky choice) captains picks, European captain José María Olazábal will be making his selections before sep next year.
I reckon:

Rory McIlroy

Luke Donald

Lee Westwood

Martin Kaymer

Matteo Manassero

Robert Karlsson

Henrik Stenson

Simon Dyson

Ross Fisher

Francesco Molinari

Captains spots:

Graeme McDowell - Excellent Ryder Cup player, proven winner, fan favourite.

Ian Poulter - Awesome matchplay talent, will get under their skin.

Who would get your votes?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Again, pretty much the same as yours. Except

Poulter would be in (Maninly becaue of his experiance) with Matteo Manassero being a captains pick.

I would also take out Stenson and put Thomas Bjorn in his place.

lobthewedge

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My ideal 12 would be

Westwood
Kaymer
McIlroy
Donald
Poulter
Manassero
Garcia
F Molinari
GMac
Karlsson
Bjorn
Quiros

Almost making it - Laird, Fisher, Dyson, Casey

(Harrington and Stenson can clean the clubs and carry the luggage)

funkyfred

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think Casey, if he can sort out his private life and Garcia will be pushing for a place. I also think Laird is almost certain to be picked because of his experience in America, plus a Mr Jimenez might want to play.

Cant see a place for Harrington or Stenson.

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A lot will depend on how Casey and Justin Rose play over the next 12 months.

Kaymer, Rory, Lee and Luke are probably certainties.

F Molinari, Sergio, Manassero, Karlsson all very likely to play themselves in.

My 4 last spots I would like to see taken by Casey, Poulter, Rose and GMac - but they'll have to pull their socks up between now and Gleneagles.

lobthewedge

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My 4 last spots I would like to see taken by Casey, Poulter, Rose and GMac - but they'll have to pull their socks up between now and Gleneagles.

I would say Poulter is a certainty, based on his matchplay record and ability to wind up the yanks, would have him in before Casey and Rose any day of the week.
GMac is the one who needs to get the finger out otherwise wee Rory will have to find a new partner.

SirSliceAlot

Club Champion
Visit site
I think Harrington is the one who will cause a lot of debate. Is his form really good enough to earn himself a place? Obviously he is a fan favourite and has a great amount of Ryder Cup experience but should that matter, surely winning is what its all about!?
As for Rose and Casey, no chance!

T

thecraw

Stenson can join me watching the RC on the sofa. Such a talented player who's way out of sorts. Could Stenson be the new Baker-Finch, or Lyle?

Shaunmg

Head Pro
Visit site
Similar to yours but replace Stenson with Harrington, I reckon he'll be coming good shortly.

I think you may be right, I think next year will be Harringtons last chance to bounce back, and I hope he will.

I recall Westwood had a simular loss of form a few year ago and look at him now. But if Harrington is not at least knocking on the door of automatic selection, he won't be considered for a wild card

Yerman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
McIlroy
McDowell
Clarke
Maybin
Hoey
McGrane
Lowry
Peter Lawrie
Mc Westwood
Mc Donald
O'Casey
O' Quiros and O'lazabal

with that turncoat Feherty comentating :mad: :D

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I think Harrington is the one who will cause a lot of debate. Is his form really good enough to earn himself a place?

I see no debate here at all. Do people not remember Celtic Manor? I've seen elephants easier to carry than Pod. Quite why people think he would be in contention is beyond me; he hasn't played quality golf for 3 years. Until he plays his way on to the team with qualification, he shouldn't be a pick.

Nice bloke and all that, but if he was English and not Irish, there would be howls of derision at the mere suggestion of him playing in the Ryder Cup on this forum.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Paddy was a controversial pick last time. Unless he gets his act together and qualifies as of right I'd be amazed if Ollie picked him.
Long way to go and you never know but the form he's shown of late has been sporadic at best.

If Anders Hansen keeps playing the way he's played this year it wouldn't surprise me to see him qualify at the expense of a Sergio or a Karlsson.....

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I think Harrington is the one who will cause a lot of debate. Is his form really good enough to earn himself a place?

I see no debate here at all. Do people not remember Celtic Manor? I've seen elephants easier to carry than Pod. Quite why people think he would be in contention is beyond me; he hasn't played quality golf for 3 years. Until he plays his way on to the team with qualification, he shouldn't be a pick.

Nice bloke and all that, but if he was English and not Irish, there would be howls of derision at the mere suggestion of him playing in the Ryder Cup on this forum.

You won't be able to read this my old friend but at last you are talking some sense.....more chance of Homer making the team than Harrington.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think Harrington is the one who will cause a lot of debate. Is his form really good enough to earn himself a place? Obviously he is a fan favourite and has a great amount of Ryder Cup experience but should that matter, surely winning is what its all about!?
As for Rose and Casey, no chance!

Harrington is at the top of my list of favourite golf Pro's after I met him in Ireland and I dearly hope he gets back to his best soon but from a purely golfing perspective, he was carried in the last Ryder Cup and has done nothing to earn a spot in the next one, although he still has time and I hope he makes it

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Come on - that's a boring set of responses

Easy to say Manassero, but there is always a deserving journeyman having a run of form (Peter Hanson)and Simon Dyson seems to be right at teh top of the world game at the moment.

Not enought wildcards here - what about one of teh French guys, Havret for example. i think Kaymer might go off the boil by then.