Anyone Learned Aimpoint? Your Thoughts?

D

Deleted member 15344

Yes you can work it out. What's more important to you in your game? Going round in the least amount of strokes or the time it takes for you to get round? Which will win you comps and lower your hc?

What's more important to me is not getting held up on every single hole disturbing any natural flow in the game - that would ruin my game and I know would ruin the others who were stuck behind whilst the amateur golfer studies a chart and walks up and down each putt getting some feel under his feet

A natural flow in my game helps my score and my handicap

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The point I'm making, or trying to make, what's the point in going to what is, essentially, a green reading course if you can't put what you're taught into practice because your stroke isn't the same from one putt to the next. Yes I know that could be said for most amateurs, but I'm sure you'll agree, some amateurs putt Pretty well.

It's all well and good being able to step onto the green, use your Aimpoint knowledge to read the green and find the correct line, only for you to push the ball 3ft off line and miss the hole by a bus ride.

IMHO, if you have a repeatable stroke you will get the best out of a course like Aimpoint, where as if your putting looks like, push, pull, push, straight you won't get the best out of it.

Ok good point and yes like I've said no matter what system, conventional, Aimpoint or Vector, if your stroke is different every time, then go see your pro cos you got problems and practise. I mentioned a 10ft putt here is a video of what I mean by a 21" break. Here he is demonstrating what happens and when starting off with Aimpoint is how you do it but with time n practise you get the reads quicker. So bear that in mind before castigating slow play......

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What's more important to me is not getting held up on every single hole disturbing any natural flow in the game - that would ruin my game and I know would ruin the others who were stuck behind whilst the amateur golfer studies a chart and walks up and down each putt getting some feel under his feet

A natural flow in my game helps my score and my handicap

You got a DMD have you not? When they came into competition play they said it would slow things down but reality says it's quickened it up? So why do you think Aimpoint will slow it down. Through Aimpoint the express read, which is not as accurate or precise as the chart is equivalent to your conventional method but is quicker, and you don't have to step back five paces crouch down peer thru your hands around your baseball cap and trying to read where you need to aim at.

D

Deleted member 15344

You got a DMD have you not? When they came into competition play they said it would slow things down but reality says it's quickened it up? So why do you think Aimpoint will slow it down. Through Aimpoint the express read, which is not as accurate or precise as the chart is equivalent to your conventional method but is quicker, and you don't have to step back five paces crouch down peer thru your hands around your baseball cap and trying to read where you need to aim at.

My distances are always measured when the other players are taking their shot

So once they have played I'm ready and take my shot.

From reading this thread it would appear that aimpoint would take time on each green

Jaymosafehands

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

From reading this thread it would appear that aimpoint would take time on each green

With both of the putting methods commented on you can start reading great as soon as you walk up to it, exactly as a 'feel' putter would. I think people are complicating things / making it sound like it takes minutes - it takes me 30 seconds max, as I don't need the chart ( I know the numbers now) and having seen others play who use it I wouldn't say they are any slower than me.

It's basically help, which we all need cos if we didn't we'd be on Sky Sports 4 right now.....

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Ok good point and yes like I've said no matter what system, conventional, Aimpoint or Vector, if your stroke is different every time, then go see your pro cos you got problems and practise. I mentioned a 10ft putt here is a video of what I mean by a 21" break. Here he is demonstrating what happens and when starting off with Aimpoint is how you do it but with time n practise you get the reads quicker. So bear that in mind before castigating slow play......

Owed thee osses (Hold your horses) as they say in Stoke.

I never said anything about slow play, more the validity of the system when a non repetitive stroke is introduced.

A further point you could clarify for me.

Getting the line is only part of the recipe for a good putt. Does Aimpoint make any provision for, what I consider the most important part of the putt, the pace of the shot.

As per my original point. It's all well having the line, but that line must be governed by the pace with which the putt must be hit. Get the pace wrong and the line become irrelevant?

D

Deleted member 15344

With both of the putting methods commented on you can start reading great as soon as you walk up to it, exactly as a 'feel' putter would. I think people are complicating things / making it sound like it takes minutes - it takes me 30 seconds max, as I don't need the chart ( I know the numbers now) and having seen others play who use it I wouldn't say they are any slower than me.

It's basically help, which we all need cos if we didn't we'd be on Sky Sports 4 right now.....

On average off the top of your head how many putts per round do you reckon you have ?

What about pace ?

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

yeah and so can Aimpoint once you know what your doing which to be fair you don't know enough about it. It takes no longer then what you do. I've used it and have had no complaints from any one bout how long/short I take. All they see is I'm making more putts, which essentially what it is all about surely? Drain a 20 ft putt straight off or 2 putt from 20ft, I know which one I'd get more pleasure with!!! Stick to your conventional method and at times I revert to it I won't deny that but I've got something else I can use that like Homer says works.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

+1 there

D

Deleted member 15344

yeah and so can Aimpoint once you know what your doing which to be fair you don't know enough about it. It takes no longer then what you do. I've used it and have had no complaints from any one bout how long/short I take. All they see is I'm making more putts, which essentially what it is all about surely? Drain a 20 ft putt straight off or 2 putt from 20ft, I know which one I'd get more pleasure with!!! Stick to your conventional method and at times I revert to it I won't deny that but I've got something else I can use that like Homer says works.

Why do you revert to the traditional method if aimpoint "works" as you suggest ?

And how many pros use it ?

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On average off the top of your head how many putts per round do you reckon you have ?

What about pace ?

at the moment ave is 1.75 putts per per hole, 1.88 GIR.
Pace. Ok can I ask how you find your pace of the greens? How do you like to see the ball go towards the hole, at pace so if you miss it goes 3ft past, die at hole, a foot past, 6" what?

D

Deleted member 15344

I find the pace from the putting green and the first green I reach - I have no preference to how the ball goes into the hole - I take each putt how it's comes, sometimes they die in , sometimes the go in at pace

Your stats are up there with the pros - in fact better than a lot of pros

Edit : 1.88 GIR ?! Greens in reg ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why do you revert to the traditional method if aimpoint "works" as you suggest ?

And how many pros use it ?

Anything less the 5 ft. As Aimpoint works for 5ft and above, so the short distance is what it is a short putt so im not going to do the penguin shuffle as some say on here.

Pros using it, on the LPGA there are quite a few Stacey Lewis/Keating, on the men's circuit Fowler has been seen with a chart, Brain Gay the other week was seen using express read and shot 8 under in one round. Let's face it you won't see Pros being a penguin will you, they have mapped out greens of each of the events showing the slope direction and amount, I know that some of the caddies use Aimpoint, but with all the info they have all they need to know once on the green is distance, and angle, look at the charts they have give him the number and off he goes.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Personally I try and hit every putt straight, aim at a point level with the hole behind the peak of the break. Is that too simple ?

That's pretty much what Aimpoint does. Though 'peak of the break' needs to be defined. If you aim at that 'peak of the break' that's on the line of the putt, then thall ball will miss the hole - on the low side if it's a single-breaker - as you are not allowing enough break. Aimpoint calc-ed putt would travel through that 'peak of the break' point on its way to the hole.

The only thing not simple about it is the method of working out what that line actually is, which devotees say is quick and easy after a little practice. And, I guess (!), Express is a simplified method of working that out - or is it 'without pressing down'?!.

Btw. Why/how would you hit a putt that wasn't 'straight'? Do you mean 'along the intended line' as opposed to a Push or Pull?
Do you have to have a semi-solid, repeatable putting stroke before you take the course?
No more or less than using any other method. Why would you think that requirement was any different?
Keeping it simple seems a better method IMO
Fair enough. I believe that was their approach too. But a 'rigorous' method often involves a certain amount of complexity. If it's 'looks too complicated' (or 'looks like too much faffing about') for you, then that's a valid reason. But if keeping it simple means you miss putts that you might have made.....?

Last edited:

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I find the pace from the putting green and the first green I reach - I have no preference to how the ball goes into the hole - I take each putt how it's comes, sometimes they die in , sometimes the go in at pace

Your stats are up there with the pros - in fact better than a lot of pros

Edit : 1.88 GIR ?! Greens in reg ?

yes Greens in reg. I've had rounds where they are above 2.22 but that's not Aimpoints fault, it's mine as I've not putted well, but I've had a couple rounds of 1.5 and one at 1.43, but I might of got u&d well that day, I can't remember.

D

Deleted member 15344

yes Greens in reg. I've had rounds where they are above 2.22 but that's not Aimpoints fault, it's mine as I've not putted well, but I've had a couple rounds of 1.5 and one at 1.43, but I might of got u&d well that day, I can't remember.

Aren't GIR measured in percentage ?

D

Deleted member 15344

Anything less the 5 ft. As Aimpoint works for 5ft and above, so the short distance is what it is a short putt so im not going to do the penguin shuffle as some say on here.

Pros using it, on the LPGA there are quite a few Stacey Lewis/Keating, on the men's circuit Fowler has been seen with a chart, Brain Gay the other week was seen using express read and shot 8 under in one round. Let's face it you won't see Pros being a penguin will you, they have mapped out greens of each of the events showing the slope direction and amount, I know that some of the caddies use Aimpoint, but with all the info they have all they need to know once on the green is distance, and angle, look at the charts they have give him the number and off he goes.

But you can get a lot of break in 5ft putts ? But the method won't work for those type of putts ?

For a method you suggest "works" it doesn't appear to be used very much ?

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's pretty much what Aimpoint does. Though 'peak of the break' needs to be defined. If you aim at that 'peak of the break' that's on the line of the putt, then thall ball will miss the hole - on the low side if it's a single-breaker - as you are not allowing enough break. Aimpoint calc-ed putt would travel through that 'peak of the break' point on its way to the hole.

The only thing not simple about it is the method of working out what that line actually is, which devotees say is quick and easy after a little practice. And, I guess (!), Express is a simplified method of working that out - or is it 'without pressing down'?!.

Btw. Why/how would you hit a putt that wasn't 'straight'? Do you mean 'along the intended line' as opposed to a Push or Pull?

No more or less than using any other method. Why would you think that requirement was any different?

Fair enough. I believe that was their approach too. But a 'rigorous' method often involves a certain amount of complexity

Well put with your first statement, most (not all) amateurs read a break and say that's where it starts to go and aim for that point. Unfortunately gravity takes over and like you said it breaks quicker and miss on the low side, the only way to make that putt is to hit it harder, which then reduces the size of the hole by some considerable amount unless you do a Jacklin!!!