Anyone Learned Aimpoint? Your Thoughts?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Successful - provide the positive results you want

That's the wooliest measurement I've ever encountered! Ideal attributes for a Politician or a Journalist!

You can measure it yourself - one person has already said it has improved his handicap by 2 shots :thup:

Not doubting, but can he be absolutely certain that was the reason? Was that the only change? Did he practice his putting more - perhaps to embed the method? I improved my handicap by 2 shots over a short period, a number of times. Most of them I didn't actually change a thing!

Now, a movement of a Pro up the 'Shots Gained - Putting' list would indicate an improvement in putting (overall and relative to other players).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Went from 3 and got to 1.6 have since gone up due to swing changes plus playing comps during winter period. Although I have posted a round earlier showing some stats.

Very good scoring :thup:

D

Deleted Member 1156

Went from 3 and got to 1.6 have since gone up due to swing changes plus playing comps during winter period. Although I have posted a round earlier showing some stats.

This is the sort of improvement that sparks my interest. When you get low the improvements tend to be around the greens rather than through the swing.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But those who are interested have asked how it has improved his putting.......zero evidence that it has.

It's not a case of religiously churning out stats, but you've got to have at least a handle on it? Surely?

I don't think it's people showing interest more a case of being sceptic instead of an open mind. I've already stated how my hc came down and posted a round earlier I played in a comp in January.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think it's people showing interest more a case of being sceptic instead of an open mind. I've already stated how my hc came down and posted a round earlier I played in a comp in January.

Well you're wrong, I am interested.

There was no comparison to pre Aimpoint rounds - just a one round score

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very good scoring :thup:

thank you. But I will be the first to say that even tho I use Aimpoint it's a combination of everything that had improved, hitting more fairways was my main priority and still is to be able to hit more greens to take advantage of Aimpoint.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
But those who are interested have asked how it has improved his putting.......zero evidence that it has.

It's not a case of religiously churning out stats, but you've got to have at least a handle on it? Surely?

I've said I'm making more 15-20 footers. I have nothing statistically to back this up. All I need to do is get the ball in play off the tee and chip and I am in business. Think my position is clear enough and I am happy with it so that's all I care about. Whether others think its old tosh, placebo, hocus pocus or whatever is up to them.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've said I'm making more 15-20 footers. I have nothing statistically to back this up. All I need to do is get the ball in play off the tee and chip and I am in business. Think my position is clear enough and I am happy with it so that's all I care about. Whether others think its old tosh, placebo, hocus pocus or whatever is up to them.

2 simple questions:

How many putts in your last round using Aimpoint?

How many 15-20ft putts were holed in that single round?

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well you're wrong, I am interested.

There was no comparison to pre Aimpoint rounds - just a one round score

my coach at the time wasn't interested in putts per hole. He was more interested in how far away I was for a birdies in feet and how many I made. I kept a record of birdie footage putts for a year, then averaged it out and found I was averaging 12 ft, so that gave me a general idea of where I needed to focus my putting distance from. That's where I went to Aimpoint to see what the fuss was all about and would say my putting stats have improved then pre Aimpoint. I did have stats before but lost them.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I know a guy that won the Order of Merit on the Euro Tour last year and will play in the European Challenge Tour this year. He practises his putting, chipping and pitching a great deal. Maybe if we all practised ours more we would have a good chance to lower our handicaps. If this system gets you practising more then it will probably help you by gaining a better feel.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No idea. Last round was December 14th and can't remember. I used Aimpoint on every green I was in (4BBB match so didn't finish all of them). In that round not many as Hawkeye and I both played below average. These threads are still about numbers. My position is clear. I use it. I like it and I think it helps. No point asking me for more info as I don't have the details on how many putts from that range or others I've made in the last two years since using it other than I know in my own mind many more are going in. I only kept number of putts and not any record of the distances and not kept stats since early 2013

Pin-seeker

Visit site

Maybe it just gives him more confidence.
If he wants to answer the questions I'm sure he will.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
A question for the aimpoint users... How do measure the Slope/break without using some kind of device? I just watched a video on the subject but I'm still non the wiser.

Jaymosafehands

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That's the wooliest measurement I've ever encountered! Ideal attributes for a Politician or a Journalist!

Not doubting, but can he be absolutely certain that was the reason? Was that the only change? Did he practice his putting more - perhaps to embed the method? I improved my handicap by 2 shots over a short period, a number of times. Most of them I didn't actually change a thing!

Now, a movement of a Pro up the 'Shots Gained - Putting' list would indicate an improvement in putting (overall and relative to other players).

I'm certain it was the major reason. I still can't hit a consistent drive and am average with my irons, but now I'm the best putter in my group (including 4 single fig boys) and made the regional finals for Britains best putter.

All I'd say is that the game is about slapping a small white thing into a hole twice it's size. If this works for the individual then it's absolutely the right thing to do. If you don't need to improve this aspect or don't believe in gaining a potential advantage using a scientific approach compared to using 'feel' then god speed to you.

Play well and enjoy

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A question for the aimpoint users... How do measure the Slope/break without using some kind of device? I just watched a video on the subject but I'm still non the wiser.

There is a chart based on the severity of the slope, position of the ball and the speed of the green. It takes a matter of seconds once you get use to it

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
2 simple questions:

How many putts in your last round using Aimpoint?

How many 15-20ft putts were holed in that single round?

Think that there are only a couple of you worried about ststs and obviosly not getting the answers you want. Maybe stop asking.

I for one and I think there are others totally understand that homer has done the course and it has helped him to enjoy the game more, given him more confidence over putts. Bit like having a gps to give you confidence of a distance or planner so you know what hazards there are.

Homer do you or any of the others that have done this course know who does it near manchester, I would like to look into it and have even a little more confidence over putts and enjoy my game more. I alread putt well just crap at the rest of it, but confidence is always appreciated.

Glad your enjoying thr gsme more since you did the course.

For all the ne'sayers, fine but accpet there is more than one to skin a cat. And if the stats bother you that much do the course and see if you improve or stop hounding other for it is only your use of the instruction that can tell you if it works for you.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

By standing up straight and allow gravity to dictate where your weight is in your feet. If it's flat then weight should be toe area which would be 1%. 2% will be about slightly further away from your toes, about toe ball joint, 3 is middle of foot until 4% will be on your heels. That's how you assess slope.

D

Deleted Member 1156

There is a chart based on the severity of the slope, position of the ball and the speed of the green. It takes a matter of seconds once you get use to it

OK...help me out here please.

My ball is 18ft from the hole. How do I work out the line from here? Do I have to guess the stimp speed? How do I work out what the slope is from your chart? It's been pointed out that the greens are not mapped so what calculation is used?

I'm not trying to disparage the method, just curious as to how it all works.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
If it doesn't slow up play, I have no problem with it. Each to his own. If I played with someone and it was slowing up play I would have words. I know there are some on here that take the game very seriously, even obsessively in my opinion, but I believe the majority of golfers just want to get out on the course and enjoy the game. If I mentioned Aimpoint to my playing partners they would probably never play with me again.