Anyone ever transport a golf club in a hold suitcase successfully?!

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Random question I know, but I saw this before and wondered if anyone else had good/bad stories about it.

A year ago in London as I waited at a carousel a bag came round with a club, all wrapped up in clear bubble wrap, sticking out of the top of a suitcase. Novel I thought, also very lucky that it made it here at all. But it got me thinking, has anyone done this in the past with success? The reason I ask is I have a couple of spare clubs I could easily give to my buddy back in Ireland, but its not worth the £20+ each to post them, I know you are at the mercy of baggage handlers and if it goes wrong it goes wrong but there's no restriction on the size of bag you put in as long as it weights okay.

Am I a mentalist for considering this?!

:rofl:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Am I a mentalist for considering this?!

:rofl:

Like the guy off the TV show?

I would never consider this, too much of a risk for the sake of a note or two.

I am a person who has a hard case for traveling, it was 2nd hand tho! Im using it this coming Jan to get my clubs to tenerife.

DCB

Visit site
Forget the baggage handlers it's the machinery that'll do the damage. I wouldn't even think of puting a club into a converyer belt system like that. It's just asking for trouble. Surpried the check in allowed it.

Unless it went as an item that was out of gauge, ie not usual shape/size. They are usually booked in at a different desk in the airport.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's the thing, the clubs aren't worth £40 which is what it would cost to post them, I've seen strange things go through over-size baggage, I guess he took a chance and it looked from my perspective that it got through okay. That said it could have been bent 50* in the case!

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's the thing, the clubs aren't worth £40 which is what it would cost to post them, I've seen strange things go through over-size baggage, I guess he took a chance and it looked from my perspective that it got through okay. That said it could have been bent 50* in the case!

If it aint worth that then just take the shaft out and send the heads and grips, the reattach at the other end on a new set of shafts. Or send the shaft separate for a small fee.

If you can take it apart then do!

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
I flew back from america earlier this year, when out there i bought some clubs, flew with virgin and they charge no extra for sports equipment. I just put them in a box from a driver and wrappd each one individually in bubble wrap. I then stuffed the box so they couldnt move. This worked quite well. Even carried on tube and were opened by US customs.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I flew back from america earlier this year, when out there i bought some clubs, flew with virgin and they charge no extra for sports equipment. I just put them in a box from a driver and wrappd each one individually in bubble wrap. I then stuffed the box so they couldnt move. This worked quite well. Even carried on tube and were opened by US customs.

Thanks Cherry, its still an outside plan but one I might take the risk on Ryanair if I'm feeling lucky/crazy

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I brought a John Letters soft transport case for my trip to Malaga on EasyJet. I paid extra for insurance and padded the case up good with cardboard, even threw some of my clothes and shoes in there as I had loads of weights use. No issues from me.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Can't you go to your local pro shop and get one of the boxes clubs are delivered in, wrap them in bubble wrap and put fragile all over it?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Even threw some of my clothes and shoes in there as I had loads of weights use. No issues from me.

That is a trick I am going to use when I go to tenerife, why waste space in my luggage when I can put things in my hard case with my clubs!

The old ones are the best :)

John Boy Saint

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That is a trick I am going to use when I go to tenerife, why waste space in my luggage when I can put things in my hard case with my clubs!

The old ones are the best :)
Queezy Jet have 32kg limit, I have a trip to Spain and a trip to Portugal a year, for Spain I put the Bosses clubs in my bag in my travel slug (Wilson Deep Red one with a rigid lower section that keeps everything in order) it weighs on average 16kg each time, so loads of extra weight to play with for other bits and bobs.

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ryanair...sigh...dont trust them
and certainly dont try to get away with them as hand luggage - they will be bigger than their size restriction...

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks all,

No it would be as hold luggage as stated, and there is no restriction on the dimensions of this. Like I say I wouldn't have thought of it only I saw it on a Ryanair flight, I've seen strange things on the carousel and you can put odder shaped things than this through oversize luggage. Postage from Uk to South for a club works out at over £20, which for a club probably worth £20 (on ebay) seems daft. Second hand club in Ireland are very expensive, the market is tiny so choice is limited and prices high, just have a look on ebay.ie and see what I mean, they're easily twice/three times the price of clubs in the UK. In fact put in "Vokey wedge" as an example, all the options cheaper than 90 euro are be sold in the US or UK, even with postage at 20 - 40 quid it works out cheaper than buying an Irish one. I have a wedge and putter my buddy would use for pitch-n-putt, not worth much to me on ebay but expensive to buy at home, hence I thought I might take a chance on getting them back, if it works it works, if not Im not down a fortune. That's the rationale, still undecided but it sounds like it might be doable if I wrapped them well in a box and secured that box within my rucksack.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
i taped an old illegal cobra driver of mine onto the straps and handle of a large suitcase within weight limits and put in the oversize luggage check in . it arrived safe and well in tenerife. wouldnt do it with an expensive club though