Anyone ever seen a 19 man play off?

HeftyHacker

Visit site
its balloted, the maximum that can play do each year

How difficult is it to get into though, ie how many entries for how many spots?

My FiL has applied three times and got in three times. He played at Old Links on Saturday but ended up 5 over. Said it was a brilliant day and just had one of those days where putts didn't drop etc. but nevertheless loved the experience.

He shot a 66 round old links the other week so was hopeful of a repeat performance.

I played the course a couple of weekends ago and with the rough grown out and the fairways baked it was absolutely brutal. Fair play to those shooting under par round there. Different game to what I play.

Last edited:

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our pro was in the play off for The saturday qualifier at holinwell. They had 15 in the play off for 2 places.

He said he was told it was on countback which he was one of the 2 qualifiers, but they changed it to the playoff.
The playoff started a 9:00 PM. He was told before they teed off that if it got too dark they would have to tee off at 5:30 the following morning.
He complained that he was due to open our pro shop in the morning.

Apparently only 2 players birdied the first hole and it was sorted quickly.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Its been a different prospect this year due to covid. Normally there are loads more venues for regional, this year there are only 4. That means there are way more places per venue. Up to 28, normally your lucky if 5 per venue get through. It was also booked on a first come first served basis, not balloted. I assume the reason most dont enter is fear of embarrassment, or the fact its £150... which this year seems good value given the courses, but most years is a lot of money for a local venue. Finals is a different prospect, a few years ago one of our club was warming up next to Colin Montgomery...

evemccc

Visit site
Its been a different prospect this year due to covid. Normally there are loads more venues for regional, this year there are only 4. That means there are way more places per venue. Up to 28, normally your lucky if 5 per venue get through. It was also booked on a first come first served basis, not balloted. I assume the reason most dont enter is fear of embarrassment, or the fact its £150... which this year seems good value given the courses, but most years is a lot of money for a local venue. Finals is a different prospect, a few years ago one of our club was warming up next to Colin Montgomery...

Interesting post.

Is it usually balloted then, not first come first served?

If I were a scratch or better player, I would definitely give it a go. But obviously in reality I’m miles from that ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our pro was in the play off for The saturday qualifier at holinwell. They had 15 in the play off for 2 places.

He said he was told it was on countback which he was one of the 2 qualifiers, but they changed it to the playoff.
The playoff started a 9:00 PM. He was told before they teed off that if it got too dark they would have to tee off at 5:30 the following morning.
He complained that he was due to open our pro shop in the morning.

Apparently only 2 players birdied the first hole and it was sorted quickly.
Did he make it? Was he one of the 2?

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a mate who had a go at West Lancs. Unfortunately made a bad start with a double on the first, the odd mistake here and there added to an 80.
However, he eagled the par 5 (15th i think) and birdied another, was also clubhouse leader for a while ?
What an experience, definitely a bucket list ✅

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just discovered one of those who came through the big play off was the pro from Blyth GC up here, Ross Crowe. Apparently he was in the first group out at 6.30am, that is a long old day. Fair play to him, and all who qualified. I don't know him, although I did buy my waterproof jacket from him last year, but it's good to have a local interest. Good for the club as well, it is not a fashionable club but it is a nice bit of PR for them.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just discovered one of those who came through the big play off was the pro from Blyth GC up here, Ross Crowe. Apparently he was in the first group out at 6.30am, that is a long old day. Fair play to him, and all who qualified. I don't know him, although I did buy my waterproof jacket from him last year, but it's good to have a local interest. Good for the club as well, it is not a fashionable club but it is a nice bit of PR for them.

Known Ross (and his dad) since he was a junior at Newcastle United GC
Nice lad
Went on to go through his PGA training based at westerhope with spike and George
Before branching out

Really pleased for him

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Did he make it? Was he one of the 2?

No he wasn’t.
edit.… I‘ve looked up the draw for tomorrow and he is listed with a tee time. I know he was a reserve.
so obviously got a call today.
That’s 2 from our club now as we have a lad who turned pro before Covid hit, also qualified easily.

Last edited:

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Spoke to the FiL yesterday and he was saying that one of his PPs from Saturday actually got through, and he rang my FiL yesterday to ask if he fancied caddying for him for the finals, which the FiLis more than happy to do.

Don't know why but I found this a really nice gesture and sums up golf.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
A friend of mines son in law played at St Annes was out early and shot -1, it must have been a long day waiting to find out if it was enough, it was, but imagine hanging around all day and then having to go out again in a play off

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
A friend of mines son in law played at St Annes was out early and shot -1, it must have been a long day waiting to find out if it was enough, it was, but imagine hanging around all day and then having to go out again in a play off
On the bright side, better than being +10 and having a very quiet drive home :D. Tough to get loose and get back into it though, I fully get your point.