Anybody read James Ellroy?

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
As it says, anybody? I'm a huge fan and waiting impatiently for his latest novel 'Perfidia' to come out later this year. Anybody else the same? If so, any recommendations for similar reads..?

Cheers

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Read every book he's written.

He's an excellent writer, Can't think of anyone who writes quite like him to be honest.

Glad he's doing another fiction book this time, his auto-biographical stuff can be a bit heavy.

He's a crimewriter Liverbirdie, 1950's to late 60's underbelly of America with a healthy dollop of defamation of Hollywood's (now dead) stars of the day.

He wrote LA Confidential (film with Guy Pearce, Russell Crowe, Kevin Spacey and of course Kim Basinger!)

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site

He's an excellent writer, Can't think of anyone who writes quite like him to be honest.

Glad he's doing another fiction book this time, his auto-biographical stuff can be a bit heavy.

He's a crimewriter Liverbirdie, 1950's to late 60's underbelly of America with a healthy dollop of defamation of Hollywood's (now dead) stars of the day.

He wrote LA Confidential (film with Guy Pearce, Russell Crowe, Kevin Spacey and of course Kim Basinger!)

Which is your favourite? Without doubt the best novels I've ever read. American Tabloid for me was immense, but I think LA Confidential is his best. I also liked the Lloyd Hopkins trilogy.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I've seen LA confidential, and remember the film advert for Black dahlia. I think the missus read the book about Black dahlia, I'll see what she thinks.

If you like good crime novels try Jeffrey Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme novels.

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Which is your favourite? Without doubt the best novels I've ever read. American Tabloid for me was immense, but I think LA Confidential is his best. I also liked the Lloyd Hopkins trilogy.

The Cold Six Thousand is my favourite stand alone book but The Dudley Smith Trilogy are the best as a series for me.

Also loved Dick Continino's Blues!

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've seen LA confidential, and remember the film advert for Black dahlia. I think the missus read the book about Black dahlia, I'll see what she thinks.

If you like good crime novels try Jeffrey Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme novels.

Love a bit of Deaver but Ellroy knocks spots off him for me.

The film is a third of the book so if you liked the film you'll love the book.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Only read the 1st Philip Marlowe so not an expert, but have read all of Ellroy's. Hard boiled, brutal, vivid, densely plotted, mammoth scale, threads interwoven, profane, sex galore, dirty, gritty, intense. For me Ellroy is peerless in crime fiction. Any fiction for that matter.

sandmagnet

Head Pro
Visit site
James Patterson and his alex cross books are not to shabby,most deaver books I get on with also Michael Connelly with Harry Bosch are good but his book called the poet is one of the best books I have read! Greg iles mortal fear and black cross and spandau Phoenix are crackers as well.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Alex cross novels are good, I enjoyed them. But they are not on the same planet as Ellroy. The Cross books started out brilliant but at this point are formulaic and predictable quick reads. Nothing wrong with that, similar to Lee Child's Reacher series in that way - enjoyable and you know what you are getting.
Ellroy is a different ball game. The scale of his books is huge.