Any tips for winning Match Play games?

D

Deleted member 1147

Whilst I'm normally a quiet and reserved character, I talk a lot in matchplay.
I find that some players lose their concentration quite easily, whilst I'm very relaxed about golf, so don't get put off easily.

evemccc

Visit site
I find that some players lose their concentration quite easily, whilst I'm very relaxed about golf, so don't get put off easily.

So you deliberately try and talk to put them off?

HeftyHacker

Visit site
As above, just play the game as you normally would.

I actually find matchplay to be an easier format as a bad hole can be immediately forgotten on the next tee.

I also don't mentally track the score either. Keep a note of it on a scorecard or whatever but don't be stood on the next tee wondering how far behind or ahead you are.

I've had a couple of comebacks this year where I'd actually thought I'd lost it on the 17th and wondered they'd looked so despondent on the green before realising I'd won the hole and made it dormie going down the last. On one occasion it really messed with their head and they had a complete meltdown on the 18th allowing me to win with a bogey.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Was mentioned earlier but a key for me is to never give up on a hole or to never assume you've won a hole. I played in a match on Friday, giving my opponent 10 shots. I was 4 up after 11 and playing well but then he had 3 shots in 4 holes and brought it back to AS after 15.

I won the 16th and standing on the tee of the par 3 17th, an 8 iron in hand, I hit the worst shot possible. Opponent went left and I hit an unbelievable recovery shot to make the green and suddenly all the pressure was back on him.

Play your game, not theirs.

Newtonuti

Visit site
I just talk rubbish constantly whether playing golf or away from it :ROFLMAO:

I'd say the best thing to do is just play your own game, try to ignore what your opponents doing. If it comes down to them smashing a drive miles, just remember that distance isn't always everything.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do I assume this is just a "casual" matchplay game?
I ask as I don't see how a singles matchplay game can be played within a 4 ball game, unless I'm mistaken.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve only played one singles match play, I was 8 down after 9 and only got beat on the 16th with both of us getting Par’s.
Once you relax (my biggest problem) and just concentrate on your self it seems such an easy game.
Clearly I crumbled at the start ??

sunshine

Visit site
I find a two footed tackle early doors gives me the psychological advantage. The "reducer", as Big Ron Atkinson called it.

Once you've brought them down from behind on the first fairway, you'll probably have to concede the hole, but you've sowed the seed of doubt in your opponent's head.

Newtonuti

Visit site
I find a two footed tackle early doors gives me the psychological advantage. The "reducer", as Big Ron Atkinson called it.

Once you've brought them down from behind on the first fairway, you'll probably have to concede the hole, but you've sowed the seed of doubt in your opponent's head.
They'll just never know if you'll go in again. Every time they give you a nervous look, just wink back and watch them shank into the woods to get away from you.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was mentioned earlier but a key for me is to never give up on a hole or to never assume you've won a hole. I played in a match on Friday, giving my opponent 10 shots. I was 4 up after 11 and playing well but then he had 3 shots in 4 holes and brought it back to AS after 15.

I won the 16th and standing on the tee of the par 3 17th, an 8 iron in hand, I hit the worst shot possible. Opponent went left and I hit an unbelievable recovery shot to make the green and suddenly all the pressure was back on him.

Play your game, not theirs.
This is true. In one of my foursome matches last winter, our opponents had topped their tee shot, recovered with the second but hit their third into a bunker. As it was a tricky bunker and their 22 handicapper was to take the shot, I thought I was being sensible by hitting our second with a comfortable club to lay-up with rather than going for the green - didn't catch it and left it a bit shorter and more right than planned. Then said 22 capper played a worldy bunker shot (he was a bandit in all fairness) and put it two feet from the hole. My partner who struggles with chipping just about found the front edge and we made the two putt to scrape a half. I should have just ignored what their team was doing and played for the green as normal and we'd have probably had more chance of making par.

RichA

Visit site
I've got my first competitive singles matchplay round this afternoon. My opponent is giving me 8 shots. On holes with SI 1 to 8 I'll be reminding him that he usually gets a shot but not today.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Don't give up till you shake hands, match play has a habit off not always being straightforward for 18 holes.

Also don't relax even if you are up, keep trying to win the hole.

Play your best but enjoy it, don't prescribe to mind games, I tend to play as if I were playing a mate, that way I'm always relaxed.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Do I assume this is just a "casual" matchplay game?
I ask as I don't see how a singles matchplay game can be played within a 4 ball game, unless I'm mistaken.

It’s a casual game.

It will be a Match play / medal / stableford between myself and matey. With two friends joining us to make a 4 ball. One backing me in my corner with the other in my opponents corner.

Ironically we will do balls up for betterball pairs (so I could be paired with me opponent) with the best front 9, back 9 and overall for the better ball pairs game.

Also Oozlums (sp) and bits (birdies/eagles etc) will be in play.

I kicked up a fuss about match play so we have ironed out a 3 way type head to head match between myself and my opponent.

As you can tell there is quite a lot going on ?

Also some amusing comments in this thread. Got to get the physical and mental edge it seems

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It’s a casual game.

It will be a Match play / medal / stableford between myself and matey. With two friends joining us to make a 4 ball. One backing me in my corner with the other in my opponents corner.

Ironically we will do balls up for betterball pairs (so I could be paired with me opponent) with the best front 9, back 9 and overall for the better ball pairs game.

Also Oozlums (sp) and bits (birdies/eagles etc) will be in play.

I kicked up a fuss about match play so we have ironed out a 3 way type head to head match between myself and my opponent.

As you can tell there is quite a lot going on ?

Also some amusing comments in this thread. Got to get the physical and mental edge it seems
Blimey, with all that to work out I wouldn't like to be behind you!

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Blimey, with all that to work out I wouldn't like to be behind you!

I am not working anything out and just playing my game lol. It’s up to the other two who have joined us as a 4 to sort and they are quick. All of our group is fast and will rarely hold anyone up.

Needs lots of eyes about apparently (on my opponent). Especially with our club having brought pick and place into effect this week.

TH63

Hacker
Visit site
I consider myself to have been pretty successful in match play, having won four times on finals day, with one loss.

Key things I focus on are:
1. Never assume your opponent is out of the hole.
2. Never give up on yourself on a hole.
3. Play each hole as a separate competition almost. Don’t dwell on or celebrate the previous hole or think about the next. Just one hole at a tim.
4. You need to be a bit arrogant, but in yourself if you know what I mean. Be confident. I always think that if I’m within two holes of my opponent at the turn, I’m going to win. The pressure’s on him to hold onto his lead, and the minute you get one back, that pressure is only going to increase.
5. Don’t give holes away, don’t take on shots Tiger would think twice about.
6. Keep it on the fairway, better to be short and straight.

Ian_George

Visit site
I suppose it is a bit of inexperience here but I’ve played half a dozen match play games now and the only one I’ve won is when I got ahead on the first hole. Every other time the opponent has gone 1 up and it feels as if there is no ‘plan b’ and struggle to compose myself in playing my ‘normal’ game. From here on I find myself taking risky shots etc and the pressure to get back in front seems to alter my game completely.

Maybe it’s a psychological thing now but does anyone have any tips on winning match play games as it seems to be my nemesis
Play every hole as if it's the 1st hole of a 1-hole match!