Any tips for winning Match Play games?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site

And now the finer details of the contract have changed it’s turned into a 3 way game. Match Play, Stroke play and Stableford between ourselves. Good job two friends are joining as a 4 ball to keep the scores and make sure all the rules are applied.

Fun?

Absolutely.
Sounds like the thread title isn't really relevant for this match. You are just playing strokeplay, scoring that in two ways, and also notionally recording who would have won the hole - if I have understood.
That isn't a matchplay game IMO.
It is of course one strategy you could use when you do next play matchplay - just treat it as strokeplay in your head, try to make a good score and let it sort itself out.
Anyway best of luck.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Sounds like the thread title isn't really relevant for this match. You are just playing strokeplay, scoring that in two ways, and also notionally recording who would have won the hole - if I have understood.
That isn't a matchplay game IMO.
It is of course one strategy you could use when you do next play matchplay - just treat it as strokeplay in your head, try to make a good score and let it sort itself out.
Anyway best of luck.

At the time of posting the game was match play only - but realised it suited him more as he blows up in bunkers. So came to an agreement to mix it up.

It’s now one of the formats still involved however with the added other formats there will be more ways we both can win. Favours him more.

I wanted the whole thing strokeplay but he cacked his pants even though I am giving him 4 shots. I will definitely play the match in a stroke play type mindset and let the others work out what is what.

oleinone

Visit site
Smile when you play a good one, smile when you play a bad one - an opponent who starts getting down on themselves is going to lose. Compliment your opponents good shots. Politely ignore comments such as " I gave you that one". Never give up. Count your opponent's shots! Encourage a regular agreement of strokes taken to reach the green. I love matchplay - on Tuesday came back from 2 down in an inter-club match to par the par 5 last and win.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
At the time of posting the game was match play only - but realised it suited him more as he blows up in bunkers. So came to an agreement to mix it up.

It’s now one of the formats still involved however with the added other formats there will be more ways we both can win. Favours him more.

I wanted the whole thing strokeplay but he cacked his pants even though I am giving him 4 shots. I will definitely play the match in a stroke play type mindset and let the others work out what is what.
Are you sure you know how the handicap system works? You have said that he is a 14 handicap and you are 18 - then you state you are giving him four shots?!?! :eek:o_O

You are receiving four shots as you are the 'worse' player

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are you sure you know how the handicap system works? You have said that he is a 14 handicap and you are 18 - then you state you are giving him four shots?!?! :eek:o_O

This part was confusing me as well.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site

We are playing off scratch.

Don’t play for money if you’re giving a lower handicapper shots. ?

Here is where it gets pretty amusing.

Someone bet him at the start of the year he wouldn’t get lower than matey. Matey is in a different league to him. Not often he plays the comps so if he scores bad during his general rounds 90% of his cards go straight in the bin.

There’s more to it but it does create a lot of entertainment for people involved.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
When was/is the match?

Expecting a write up ??

This afternoon. On the pop last night so not very fresh this morning.

Someone wrote the cards out last night. They are all prepared. I’m bringing two drivers. Results posted this evening ?

Attachments

• AFC9E5E8-FDE7-4344-9503-F041190CCC2E.jpeg
    AFC9E5E8-FDE7-4344-9503-F041190CCC2E.jpeg
    286.2 KB · Views: 12
  • D5BED121-32B1-436B-BECE-4234EEFDD53E.jpeg
    D5BED121-32B1-436B-BECE-4234EEFDD53E.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 12

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
This afternoon. On the pop last night so not very fresh this morning.

Someone wrote the cards out last night. They are all prepared. I’m bringing two drivers. Results posted this evening ?

What no on-course updates!... Very poor, I think I might watch LIV instead

good luck (y)

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Make sure you count your clubs before teeing off!! :p

Well I can’t hit my 3/5 wood so they stay in the shed and I’ve replaced them with a chipper and another driver..

You can tell I play off 18. Having said that my 15.6 index played me off 14 on another course last week and apparently that course was meant to be easy ?