Any runners among us?

MKDave

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Afternoon all,

I've started running again after injury my knee and I've been building myself up to start running sme decent distances. I don't run that fast when I go for distance but over the next few weeks I'll be going back to running sprints. Last time I did a mile sprint it took me 7 minutes, and I did 10K yesterday which took me 58 minutes. So I've got a couple of times to aim at improving.

I'm off on holiday in september but then after this I want to sign up for some runs next year. Just wondering who else on here runs, anyone do any events, what times and what training you do.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I used to run until injury forced me to stop and play golf instead. I did about 25+ marathons and countless 10k to half marathon races. Also one ultra - 2 Bridges in Scotland (35 miles). Marathon PB was 3.17 and suffered sub 30/40 minute 5m/10k PBs plus sub 70 10 miler. Set my half PB sub 1.30 at London in 2001 (bad idea/bad pacing)!! That year I qualified for the AAAs elite start. I won a few races but the most was a tenner I think (vouchers of course)!

My advice would be to make sure you have decent running shoes and go easy on the speedwork until your body adapts to that. I used to run everything in racing flats and did loads of speedwork which contributed to my injuries.

Good luck!

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The only running I do is when the bell goes for last orders :)

Seriously though, I still play 5 a side which is enough for me. My wife runs but I can't think why when she has had knee injuries I the past and the constant impact on your knees in a self driven sport. She'd be better cycling in and IMO so would most

MKDave

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks Amanda, I've got some Asics I purchased a little while back for running. They feel alright, my feet don't hurt but I have had issues with my knee (might or might not be related to the shoes) and I wear knee strap under my knee cap. Seems to work pretty well.

Just signed up for 10k run November 18th Milton Keynes for Movember can't wait :)

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks Amanda, I've got some Asics I purchased a little while back for running. They feel alright, my feet don't hurt but I have had issues with my knee (might or might not be related to the shoes) and I wear knee strap under my knee cap. Seems to work pretty well.

Just signed up for 10k run November 18th Milton Keynes for Movember can't wait :)

Good luck. I think you have a Sweatshop in MK? Is it in Xscape? Could be worth a trip as they try to identify the correct trainers for you. All depends on the lad in the shop and how good he is though! Also, you have lots of parks with off road areas so run on that rather than tarmac/concrete whenever possible to save your knees from the jarring.

MKDave

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Good luck. I think you have a Sweatshop in MK? Is it in Xscape? Could be worth a trip as they try to identify the correct trainers for you. All depends on the lad in the shop and how good he is though! Also, you have lots of parks with off road areas so run on that rather than tarmac/concrete whenever possible to save your knees from the jarring.

Thanks Amanda I appreciate the advise. I have several routes mapped out from my front door rangin from 3.5k hills to 10km but all of these are road/tarmac. Will travel about abit whilst training might head to dunstable downs with a mate to run on the good stuff over there

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Pretty sure the new outdoors shop on the roundabout opposite American Golf has a trainer fitting section, if not there is definitely one at the DW sports by the MK Dons stadium.

As for running not my bag but if you need a trainer type man on the bike shouting at you to speed up......

harvey4banger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Used to do 3x 8 K road runs a week for pleasure, but kept on having problems with left my achilles. I now do a Military Workout thing twice a week, which I love, great fun and hard graft and do a 7k cross country run with the dog every weekend, loads of hills and mud and easy on my achilles.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dave,

I would DEFINITELY heed Amanda's advice and get your gait analysed and fitted for some proper trainers. If you're having knee pain, it's almost certainly related to the shoes not being right for the way you run.

When I started running I had a cheapish pair of Asics "running" trainers that I bought off the shelf. Got pain in my right knee every time I ran, so on the advice of someone else, I went and had my gait analysed (which meant running up and down lincoln high street with my jeans rolled up to my knees! FML! lol!), bought a pair of Nike running shoes specifically designed for stability and my knee pain has never returned in over 5 years.

I don't run as much as I used to. Most I ever ran was 10k in "competition" runs but I only ever did a few. I get bored VERY easily. I tend now to just run on the treadmill in the gym as there's less impact. It's not as beneficial as road running, but I find it easier to run longer when I have a TV to focus my attention on. I'll only ever run 6 miles max (as I like to lift weights when I'm in the gym also, and I don't have the time to run longer), but usually only around 3 miles which I use as my warm up for the gym.

Since coming back off holiday, however, I've not managed more than 2 miles before giving up lol. It's amazing how quickly fitness can disappear!

Going to start swimming again as well, hopefully.

Best of luck getting back into it though!

MKDave

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would DEFINITELY heed Amanda's advice and get your gait analysed and fitted for some proper trainers. If you're having knee pain, it's almost certainly related to the shoes not being right for the way you run.

When I started running I had a cheapish pair of Asics "running" trainers that I bought off the shelf. Got pain in my right knee every time I ran,

Same brand of shoes as me then and same knee with the issue!

I have this saturday off and taking my nephew up the shopping centre for his first shool shoe fitting so will get myself done while I'm up there.

Thanks for the advice, knew I needed to do this and get some but always easier to put off another expense.

Knee has felt really good after last two runs (5k 27 minutes + 10k 58 minutes) but I am having to wear my two 'jumpers knee' supports.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Same brand of shoes as me then and same knee with the issue!

I have this saturday off and taking my nephew up the shopping centre for his first shool shoe fitting so will get myself done while I'm up there.

Thanks for the advice, knew I needed to do this and get some but always easier to put off another expense.

Knee has felt really good after last two runs (5k 27 minutes + 10k 58 minutes) but I am having to wear my two 'jumpers knee' supports.

Don't get me wrong, Asics make some great shoes, but the low end ones are terrible for serious running (the same applies for any brand of running shoe though, to be fair).

Go in with an open mind and let the shop suggest a shoe (or a number of shoes ideally), based on your gait.

Don't be put off by Nikes - they put a ridiculous amount of R&D into their products and their higher end running shoes (£70+) are very, very good.

Sometimes you can get lucky and get a pair of "last seasons" style for cheaper than the latest one. Just depends what the shop has in stock.

Last edited:
Visit site
I try to run!
I've been going once a week (about 3 or 4 miles) for the past couple of months but I just find it hard to step it up and get out more often. I know that once a week is not helping me improve, I need to get out 3 times a week - just can't find the time or the energy.

MKDave

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I try to run!
I've been going once a week (about 3 or 4 miles) for the past couple of months but I just find it hard to step it up and get out more often. I know that once a week is not helping me improve, I need to get out 3 times a week - just can't find the time or the energy.

Terry when I first started running back in February I was just concentrating on running a mile and slowly built up from there. Hurt my knee in march and was out until early June but since then I've been getting up early (2 hours before I need to leave for work) so I can go out for a run for as long as I feel comfortable. I've found my pace currently at 5:45 per KM leaves me feeling after 10K that I can still do more, I can run faster in my last KM and I manage to maintain the same speed throughout. Find this pace makes it alot easier to run further in my experience.

When I first started running 5K I would wake up giving me 35 minutes to play with before I needed to get home showered and changed for work. I found that knowing I HAD to carry on otherwise I'd be late for work and potentially lose my job was more than enough motivation!