Any LH golfer play RH and have issues with releasing the club?

tallpaul

Head Pro
Visit site
Heard an interesting comment last night... Golfers who are naturally left-handed but play right handed are at a disadvantage as the left arm leads the club through the swing and prevent the 'natural' release of the club by the right arm.

Any lefties here who play right-handed care to comment?

Cheers,

Paul

Jimbooo

Challenge Tour Pro
www.gosimply.com
Heard an interesting comment last night... Golfers who are naturally left-handed but play right handed are at a disadvantage as the left arm leads the club through the swing and prevent the 'natural' release of the club by the right arm.

Any lefties here who play right-handed care to comment?

Cheers,

Paul

Hi,

Don't think I've ever had a problem with this. Hips clearing and getting the right-shoulder down is another matter completely tho ;)

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
I keep being told that I either release to early or failed to release, but always feel my left arm is more dominant. HAve tried to play leftie but looked like my arms and legs had been swapped with spagetti

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm a lefty who plays right-handed and have this problem. Assumed I was just crap at golf, now I can blame it on a medical condition!

Hallsy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I suffered with this as im a leftie playing right handed. My problem was weight transfer as i was still weighted towards the back foot on release. My pro and i started different set ups and i fell im hitting the ball better than ever at present and im using a club less on shots as im connecting better.

Cherry13

Head Pro
Visit site
Not a clue, I do struggle with weight shift though.

For those that are fellow lefties but play righty, why is that? Mines purely because my older bros clubs were right handed.

S

Snelly

Bobby Jones was left handed. Seve was left handed. Mickleson is right handed. They prove that this is not a hindrance to being a good player.

I am also left handed and play right handed and consider this to be a big advantage. Golf is a backhand shot with the left hand for a right hander. This encourages lots of good stuff in the swing.

You all need to find a better excuse than this! :)

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have all the faults mentioned as well,played so bad last week considered playing lefty,recon it would take me 2 years though.
My problems is getting through the ball,I'm sure it hampers my swing speed also

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Just happened upon this thread. I do everything left handed apart from golf. I batted left handed when I played cricket & was advised to golf right handed to avoid confusing the two.

I used to have the problem the OP described but since realising that the release occurs naturally through the upper body rotating & leading the arms & hands it has become a positive advantage to be left handed.

mchacker

Head Pro
Visit site
Only problem I've encountered was getting my right hand on the putter, went to a Superstroke grip and all is well

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
releasing the club is something I do expertly, usually down the fairway after duffing a shot, one hand grip, bring over head, swing and release. I tried underhand but it has too high a flight :)

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I don't actually know what releasing the club means!

Releasing the club, as I understand it, happens on the downswing when the angle between your left arm & the shaft increases as the clubhead comes through. This happens quite naturally with no intervention of the hands. In fact, it should happen as late as possible and therefore left handers, or right handers for that matter should not concern themselves with releasing the club.

However, if it's what G1BBO was referring to, I prefer to throw left handed, I get more distance that way & have no trouble releasing the club!

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm also a Lefty playing Right Handed, and whilst there is undoubtedly merit in the statement, I don't think it's an insurmountable issue and certainly it's likely to be only of a thousand things in the golf swing that needs to be understood and addressed. Going to a very strong grip at address meant that even if the left arm led through the swing there had to be some release (as really there was nowhere else to go!).