Any heating experts around????

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Looking to replace the radiators indoors, we have 6 "large ones" and a "small" one in the kitchen.
Not looking to have any relocated, so hopefully no additional pipework required.
I will be buying the radiators and valves myself, but I am too thick to fit them so we are just looking at labour costs.
Any idea what I am likely to be charged???
I have absolutely no idea and obviously don't want to have my trousers pulled down.....;););)
TIA
Rob

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dunno, but don't get my cousin to do the job. He takes piggin' ages. But he is funny..

You could take them off yourself. I can do that much.

D

Deleted member 1740

Looking to replace the radiators indoors, we have 6 "large ones" and a "small" one in the kitchen.
Not looking to have any relocated, so hopefully no additional pipework required.
I will be buying the radiators and valves myself, but I am too thick to fit them so we are just looking at labour costs.
I have absolutely no idea and obviously don't want to have my trousers pulled down.....;););)
TIA
Rob

Rob, I charge £90 per radiator as a standard swap, if I was pricing for 7 then I’d probably charge between £350-450.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
TIA
Rob

Believe me Rob I'm no plumber but since I've moved into this house 15 years ago, several radiators have leaked and needed changing. They've all been the old imperial size and needed extension inserts to fit the new metric radiators and I've managed to do them all myself, maybe just a bit of help to lift the big radiators into position. YouTube was my friend to see how the plumbers recommend doing it.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Believe me Rob I'm no plumber but since I've moved into this house 15 years ago, several radiators have leaked and needed changing. They've all been the old imperial size and needed extension inserts to fit the new metric radiators and I've managed to do them all myself, maybe just a bit of help to lift the big radiators into position. YouTube was my friend to see how the plumbers recommend doing it.
I've measured them all up Chris, and there are a couple that are odd sizes that I can't match exactly from any suppliers. Height will be okay because I have a bit of room to play with so can go slightly higher if needs be. It's a couple of the widths I'm struggling with. Is it better to go wider or narrower from the ease of fitting aspect?
Thanks for all the answers thus far by the way guys ???

Edit: Have spoken with the guy planning to fit them and he has answered the question above. Go smaller basically, but no more than 80mn in total

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
TIA
Rob

If you do take the old ones off yourself leave the valves on them and make sure they are fully closed before moving the rad or else it is very easy to get sludge dripping out of the old rad.

Ps if it is an old system I would recommend a new washer is fitted in to the drain cock at the same time.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
As Chrisd says, easy enought to do yourself if you get help with lifting the big ones. Like him, I'm not a plumber but have replaced a few. As your man says, if you can't match exact size, then go narrower - and then these are your friend

https://www.screwfix.com/p/tesla-x-15mm-telescopic-trv-extension-piece-25-60mm/4972r

Exactly what I used on all mine.

On the refitting, when I didnt have help I stacked books on the floor to the height I needed then put the radiator on top and Bob's your golf pro ?, all joints were level. The hardest part was fitting new radiator hangers correctly

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Again, thanks for your help guys, really appreciated.
This afternoon spent on the internet shopping around for prices and styles. Standard ones around the house but fancy something a little different in the dining room. That bit's fun???

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Exactly what I used on all mine.

On the refitting, when I didnt have help I stacked books on the floor to the height I needed then put the radiator on top and Bob's your golf pro ?, all joints were level. The hardest part was fitting new radiator hangers correctly
Ditto

(I always knew that a Kindle would never fully replace a good hardback ...)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Again, thanks for your help guys, really appreciated.
This afternoon spent on the internet shopping around for prices and styles. Standard ones around the house but fancy something a little different in the dining room. That bit's fun???

I put up this vertical style in the kitchen (mainly to save horizontal space) and it really chucks the heat out.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/White-Traditional-Radiator-Cast-Iron-Style-Rads-Horizontal-Vertical-2-3-Column/272856453947?_trkparms=aid=1110006&algo=HOMESPLICE.SIM&ao=1&asc=20200520130048&meid=5e336a6787204e8abb79fef8b8b7d816&pid=100005&rk=3&rkt=12&mehot=pf&sd=274286299419&itm=272856453947&pmt=1&noa=0&pg=2047675&algv=SimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithDarwoV3BBEV2b&brand=Elegant&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've discovered that two of mine are really odd sizes. Nightmare ???

My whole heating system is a bit of a nightmare. The house was built during the copper shortage in the 70s and a lot of the ways round it are hidden under concrete and floorboards. Most of the radiators make no sense in terms of size and I reckon they were fitted by the new apprentice. I changed some a few years ago coupled with new pipe work and may get round to the rest this year.

D

Deleted member 1740

I've discovered that two of mine are really odd sizes. Nightmare ???

This is the problem us "experts" have to deal with on a weekly basis.

Going from imperial to metric is a real pain in the arse. Most customers don't understand.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Just updating.
Managed to get the purchase of the radiators sorted with fantastic help from Stuart.
Being fitted in a fortnight by a local guy that recently fitted a new gas hob for me
8 radiators with new valves and calling round a couple of days earlier to flush the system through. £50.00 per radiator plus materials, (chemicals).
Well chuffed.
And he is gas safe registered
???