Any decorators out there or has experience

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I painted our living room with 2 coats of Dulux trade paint. Applied with a roller but finish is patchy. Daylight comes in through both front and rear windows and highlights this depending where I am standing.
So I put another coat on today with a roller and rolled from bottom to top and back down, finishing at the bottom. The colour is daffodil White, so it is a light colour. Previous colour was yellow and has been covered, however despite another coat the finish is still patchy, why is this ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Those big rectangular sponge pads are better than rollers I think. We used them on our kitchen and you seem to get a much more even finish.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would have miscoated with 2 coats of Johnstones white emulsion then 2 top coats of Johnstones paint in the coulour of your choice, using a roller to apply.They can mix to almost any colour you like.
It's miles better than Dulux, and something I found through similar expieriences as your own. I only use Johnstones now as I got fed up trying to get an even finish, the last straw being a bedroom ceiling that took 5 coats to look even, and that was either Dulux or Crown.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Surprised that Dulux has let the Op down. We use it through our entire house with no issues although we do always use flat matt rather than the regular stuff. Good coverage and no reflection off the walls.

Robin Hood

Visit site
Trade paint is more difficult to get a good finish, unless you are a skilled decorator. It's ok for undercoats.
Always use a good quality emulsion for topcoats.
We're your walls definitely clean and grease free.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Valspar from B and Q is very good.

Decorator I know always uses a grey mist coat instead of white, don't ask me why o_O

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Walls were clean and free of grease
A decorator put me on to trade paint as he said it was better quality than what you get at B&Q etc

What was on the wall before you painted - wallpaper? From the images it looks like there is some kind of residue. Might seem a silly question but were the walls fully dried when you took the photos?
I've found Brewers paint to be really good and covers really well. I always put on 2 coats whatever the quality of paint - you get a richer colour. Also never use vynal, always matt.

Last edited:

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Trade paint is thicker and can roll on patchy depending on the rollers used, you could try a thinner paint like b&q, i normally use that and 2/3 coats is enought to cover even the darkest walls

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Trade paint is thicker and can roll on patchy depending on the rollers used, you could try a thinner paint like b&q, i normally use that and 2/3 coats is enought to cover even the darkest walls

I did think the paint was thicker and thought of adding a touch of water, but the tin said only do this on new or bare walls

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
You shouod be able to tell if its too thick when applied, wait till it drys and go over it again with a thinner coat and that should do the trick if you still have patches my next thought would be the walls might not have been preped correctly, I normally roll top to bottom two dips per run slight over lap each time

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Its a first coat normally for bare walls the thicker coat in professonals hands covers all in 1/2 coats, filling all the small holes in, our diy skills are better suited for thinner but more coats to achieve that finish, also the rollers we use are chepos on the second pass you remove the paint rather than apply it,

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When we moved in to my house over 30 years ago. The previous owners had a feature wall of dark brown in the lounge.

We have always kept our lounge the same colour since the first decoration and despite two coats of white applied before applying a very light brown and probably around ten coats since this wall always looks darker than the rest of the room.