Any Crown Golf members?

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Decided to leave my current club this year and look for somewhere new. We have a Crown golf course 5 mins away from me (Paultons ). Course wise I prefer my current club but the advantages of being a member at Paultons are outweighing the difference in course enjoyment for me at the moment, particularly the ability to play at other courses owned by Crown as a member. Are ther any members here at any of those courses who could give me an idea what they're like?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
3 courses within 40 miles of me. South essex decent enough. Stapleford Abbott’s nice course and the Hertfordshire. I love the Hertfordshire

Reasonable pricing can’t go wrong with crown

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cool, thanks. Looking at their websites you get ten rounds a year per course at all te other clubs bar St Mellion, going to pop up there later this week and make some enquiries.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
How does the new one stack up in terms of things like drainage? If it's Crown, will there be more society golf especially midweek so will that make getting on in the summer harder? Just putting it out there

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m a member at MerristWood and have played pine ridge and Milford.

Had a bit of an issue getting a tee time at Pine ridge, phoned as a crown member and wouldn’t let me play until 2pm. Called a day later not saying anything about crown and gave me 10am. I turned up said I was from MerristWood, got a bit of a frown but they just let me go. Bit out of order really for a single person midweek.

Milford were the opposite. Let 4 of us out in the middle of summer at a reasonable time on a weekend.

I cant vouch for all crown clubs but MerristWood seems reluctant to spend money on the course which is a real shame as the layout and practice facilities are great. Hence why I’m looking for somewhere new.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How does the new one stack up in terms of things like drainage? If it's Crown, will there be more society golf especially midweek so will that make getting on in the summer harder? Just putting it out there

Its all relevant points. My old place suffers badly in the winter, 3 holes become virtually unplayable after a spell of continuous rain, also once these holes go on temp greens they stay on them until spring, even if we have a long spell of dry weather. The GK also puts us on tee mats too quickly in my opinion. On the plus side I can just rock up for a game whenever I like and very rarely do I have to wait, and there are few places better to be on a long summers evening than in the middle of the New Forest. The new course gets wet, but they are very reluctant to go on to mates/temps unless its absolutely neccesary, and I would get to play at South Winchester as part of the membership which is built on chalk and so drains beautifully. Decisons decisions...

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Its all relevant points. My old place suffers badly in the winter, 3 holes become virtually unplayable after a spell of continuous rain, also once these holes go on temp greens they stay on them until spring, even if we have a long spell of dry weather. The GK also puts us on tee mats too quickly in my opinion. On the plus side I can just rock up for a game whenever I like and very rarely do I have to wait, and there are few places better to be on a long summers evening than in the middle of the New Forest. The new course gets wet, but they are very reluctant to go on to mates/temps unless its absolutely neccesary, and I would get to play at South Winchester as part of the membership which is built on chalk and so drains beautifully. Decisons decisions...

Are costs similar? I had it in my mind that NF was at the cheaper end of the spectrum is that right? And how does crown compare?

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mate,

I quite like Paultons, the issue I found when invited up, was that it seemed to be very busy and they like to get as many people on as possible. Ref temps, I have never played there with temp greens but they do use mats.

On the plus side, you have South Winchester, Cams, Wickham all very close. Then if you throw in the others you can have some good away days.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Was a menber at south winch but never played another crown course. Never had any society issues at our place. Must have gone elsewhere.

Loved it to bits and miss it often.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Played at Paultons a few times, it is a decent track. In the summer it has always been in surprisingly good condition, though when I have played it in the winter a few areas have been very wet.

Have been there when it has been very busy and had some very slow rounds

Parky24

Medal Winner
Visit site
My experience with crown positive so far. They even gave me and a guest a free breakfast and a round of golf as a present for my birthday. A private club would never ever do that.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Oh I will add we had an event at one last week.. very last min just booked as 3 x 3 balls under deal with bacon roll etc. We got ham egg and chips thrown in for free

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Hamton Court is a crown golf place.

They have done a lot of work with the greens and in the summer are excellent.

The club is run like a any other club really, I often forget it's a crown golf club. In terms of societies we do get them and it can get busy but no more than any other course in the area in my experience.

FYI with St Mellion the open play is only available on the Kernow not the Nicklaus