Anthony Kim's grip

Ironman

Hacker
Visit site
Hi
Read this months article on Anthony Kim with interest as we both have the same build. Kim advises that we choke down on every club just as he does for more control. That's fine and ca't wait to try that out tomorrow on the course...BUT...surely Kim must have been offered customised clubs (unlike this 24 handicapper!), so why on earth is he having to choke down on every club in the bag??

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I guess he grew up doing that. I thought it was a little wierd that a player of his calibre had to grip like this. Imagine how much further he could hit the ball if he gripped normally, but as 99% of golfers would, he obviously preferes to be in control of a shorter shot.

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Maybe he just feels more comfortable doing it that way?

I would imagine his clubs have been fitted with this is mind.

I don't think he does it because he needs to it's more a psycological thing in my opinion.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
He would have gripped the clubs given to him at a fitting as he feels comfortable (down the grip) so would have ended up with standard length clubs but probably a change in lie angle / loft.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Listened to an interview on this last week, he loses 10 yards on every club because of it but he grew up doing it and feels it gives him more control and wow is it affective!

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
my g/f cousin chokes way down on his driver to hit it off the deck and does so pretty well.