Another Swing Vid

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've just been to the range to see if I could hit balls because I've done something to my back and have a winter pairs ko match in the morning, and it didn't hinder me at all, so while I was there I thought I'd film a few swings as I asked for help earlier in the week but didn't have a video.

My issue is the occasional thin shot and more often off the toe of the club. Strange as it sounds I didn't manage to film a bad hit, but hopefully (?) any faults are in all of my swings.
It's an 8 iron if that makes any difference.

I noticed a couple of things but I'm no expert so I thought I'd "ask the experts" on here :)

Any tips gratefully received, thank you.

[video=youtube;xpxPnaSs704]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpxPnaSs704&feature=youtu.be[/video]

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I feel like I am getting a little obsessed with this advice as I have given it so many times now.

You have a very nice golf swing but you are straightening your right knee in the backswing. This small error can cause so many problems. Try keeping the flex in your right knee throughout the swing, I think it will make a difference to your ball strtiking.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
No expert either but heres my tuppence worth. First off it looks a very nice straightforward swing.

I think that you can afford to shave a little of your backswing.This might be achieved by simply swinging back slower than normal because momentum will make the club travel further than sometimes desired. Normally you probably stay down on your backswing and resist moving up when you swing back. But if you get a bit quick on the backswing you will most probably overswing and it will slightly lift you off the shot. This might explain why you thin occasionally. Try swinging just a little shorter and maintaining just a little more flex in your right leg.

Perhaps as soon as your left shoulder comes under your chin then thats enough backswing but you may travel a bit farther hence altering your height a bit.

Everything else looks spot on, thats how it looks to me.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Looks quite fluid to me. One or two things I’ve noticed…your head comes up when you swing. I’ve watched this a lot of late, but all the best golfers in the world, their head goes down on their back swing.

What I see you doing is lifting the club up (and your head) at the start of your swing and if you try to keep the club closer to the ground through the initial takeaway might help you with this. You want the right hip to go back and up and the left hip to go forward and down.

Watch Hogan swing and you’ll see what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWLLPKiSMRk

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Why do you need any help from us when you usually rock up to any GM meet, nick the cash and prizes and ride out of town again

I honestly couldn't give two hoots about the prizes, I'd be quite happy to be excluded from them.
It's playing other courses and meeting lots of new people that I really enjoy.
It won't happen again :)

I feel like I am getting a little obsessed with this advice as I have given it so many times now.

You have a very nice golf swing but you are straightening your right knee in the backswing. This small error can cause so many problems. Try keeping the flex in your right knee throughout the swing, I think it will make a difference to your ball strtiking.

That was one of the things I noticed. You wouldn't believe how hard I concentrate on not straightening my right leg, and although I'm sure it doesn't lock it does move a lot.

Obviously me just thinking about it isn't working, do you have any suggestions or drills that might help?

Thanks to everyone for the comments.

Tommo21

Tour Winner

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That was one of the things I noticed. You wouldn't believe how hard I concentrate on not straightening my right leg, and although I'm sure it doesn't lock it does move a lot.

Obviously me just thinking about it isn't working, do you have any suggestions or drills that might help?
Thanks to everyone for the comments.

Have a look at this video. It may help you to focus on knee flex, the feeling a being a little 'Sat down' in the backswing is a good practice thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZbq-0eUpwI&feature=related

Tommo21

Tour Winner
The hip goes back but it should not go up. This is one reason why flex should remain in the back leg because if it were to straighten the hip rises which is a no no.

it took me a while to find something on this............anyway, this guy explains whats going on. He goes on and on a bit, but stay with it as I think he is spot on. From 4 min 30 sec on he puts it down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pp97ITj3ew&feature=related

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
knee flex wise, you can get someone to hold a club by your knee so you can feel it, or you can put a shaft in the ground to feel if your hip straightens into it.

Check out the mytpi.com website and have a look at swing early extension (it sort of coming with the loss of angles on the downswing too), I'd be happy to see you turning your shoulders around your spine angle more both back and through and clearing the hips a little more on the downswing as opposed to driving them a bit. If you do try to keep the shoulders moving around the spine angle both back and through it will be a weird feeling on the way down.

Or from what I can gather from the S & T stuff around here the loss of right knee angle is a desirable characteristic in their method, but then you'd need to match the rest up with that.

Edit: I haven't had a lot of time to look at the video, but to analyse it bear in mind your ball flight tendencies and work backwards from impact, through the positions. Impact and those closer to it can be more important.

Last edited:

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site

Because your body should remain close to a constant height during the swing , the right hip should simply rotate back not lift. If the right leg straightens it will cause the left side/shoulder to tilt or perhaps this comes first which then causes the right leg to straighten but either way it has to alter your swing plane and balance. If done to its extreme it will end with a sway more than a turn.

If you have a long mirror at home stand face on to it and assume your normal address position with flex in both knees. Then without doing anything else just straighten your right leg. What happens? Your left shoulder dips and if you repeat you have a rocking motion. This is not a turn.

I dont know know maybe this is what S&T is all about but most conventional golf swing teachers will tell you to rotate over a flexed right knee.

I'm a die hard Leslie King advocate so I've been programmed (brain washed) to think like this. Not everyone will agree.