Another Swing Vid

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Some interesting things going on in that swing Gary.... do you really want to know what? What will you do once you know? Will it really make a difference? I'd rather see a vid of your new S&T swing and see what's happening to your shoulder plane (hint hint) and whether it helps you stop the OTT move (hint hint again) :)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Some interesting things going on in that swing Gary.... do you really want to know what? What will you do once you know? Will it really make a difference? I'd rather see a vid of your new S&T swing and see what's happening to your shoulder plane (hint hint) and whether it helps you stop the OTT move (hint hint again) :)

"And the GM Forum award for planting the seed of doubt goes to.... "

Answers :

Yes.
Depends what it is.
See above.
It's not really S&T (since I don't really know what it is), I just tried a few swings with about 70% on my left leg.
OTT? Really? Maybe I misunderstand what OTT is.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
For a 8 handicapper i would say its a impressive swing.
Nice control and balance.
Im looking forward to the day when were teamed up together
on a forum day,so i can see it up close.

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
Do you hit a slight fade? I can see a very slight over the top downswing but as i say only slightly.
You do get a bit taller due to the straightening of the right leg.

TBH if you are an 8 hcap you must be very consistent? What do you think is wrong with your iron play that makes you seek advice? I say iron play as thats the swing you have shown to us. Do you feel that there is something in your swing thats keeping you stuck at 8?

If you are stuck at 8 what aspect of your game is weakest? Perhaps keeping track of GIR,FIR, putts, chips, bunkers etc may help to evaluate where your other weak points are. Or perhaps your playing partners will be able to tell you.

I know that the strongest part of my game would be chipping because i have struggled to hit greens while working on my swing and that has meant i have played these shots alot more than normal and picked up how to do this part. At the same time i would rarely if ever be in a bunker and this would be the weakest part of my game.

I can tell what other peoples weak points are as well just from seeing them a few times. I know a 2 and a 3 hcapper that cant chip and this is what can put bogey on their cards if they miss a green and this then makes up for the good holes/rounds. Or a 6 hcapper who isnt very long so suffers on the long par 4's and our 1 long par 3 hole.

Quite often i notice peoples strengths on the course come from what their weakness is or vice versa.
A strong chipper usually means weak GIR
A strong GIR usually means a weak chipper
A guy that stiffs it to the flag alot can suffer with long putts.

HTH and isnt a pile of old rubbish lol

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Phil, I don't have a 'normal' shape, as I try to hit it straight. If that doesn't work though more often than not it's a fade I get.
As most golfers would probably say, all aspects of my game are capable of being good or bad on any given day.
Irons are one of the better parts of my game, but the reason for posting an iron swing was that I'll sometimes hit slightly out of the toe or thin, and thought someone would spot why? From what's been said I think my change in height through the swing is the main suspect.

Thanks again for all the helpful comments.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
1) You're standing too far from the ball, that's why you are hitting them off the toe. simple huh? It also makes your setup look slouched and flat footed, not athletic and alert.
2) You gain height in your backswing simply because your shoulders turn so flat, your head has to raise to make room for your left shoulder, pretty standard in a 2 plane swing.
3) Your hands get a little deep in the takeaway for a 2 plane swing, this causes lifting and overswinging.
4) Right at the top of your backswing you are over swinging, the club cosses the line AND instead of dropping the club 'behind you' onto a lower inside plane you actually redirect it over the top everso slightly.
5) Because your head raises and you lose some spine angle you are now even MORE distance from the ball, this causes you to come down on far too steep a plane to even get to the ball.... it subsequently causes your arse to move forward in the downswing... standard early extension, again pretty normal, easily fixed with good setup, good spine angle and shoulder tilt towards the ball.
6) Your right leg I happen to like but as (Tommo and SGC001 both kinda mention) it doesn't actually tie in very well with a flat shoulder turn (you can't angle your hips at 45° whilst turning your shoulders at 20°) you have to do either/or. If you want to fix it to create more resistance then square your right foot a little, it's flared, I'd rather you kept it as it is and dealt with that flat shoulder plane though.
7) You have left wrist cuppage.... I happen not to like this but again it's pretty standard with a 2 plane swing.

There's lots going on in there. I'd like to see you in my office.....!!

Oooh, just read your PM...

Last edited:

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dont think you will ever get me putting a swing vid on here. James could have an argument in an empty room. Also think he would have me reaching for the razorblades LOL.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
1) You're standing too far from the ball, that's why you are hitting them off the toe. simple huh? It also makes your setup look slouched and flat footed, not athletic and alert.
2) You gain height in your backswing simply because your shoulders turn so flat, your head has to raise to make room for your left shoulder, pretty standard in a 2 plane swing.
3) Your hands get a little deep in the takeaway for a 2 plane swing, this causes lifting and overswinging.
4) Right at the top of your backswing you are over swinging, the club cosses the line AND instead of dropping the club 'behind you' onto a lower inside plane you actually redirect it over the top everso slightly.
5) Because your head raises and you lose some spine angle you are now even MORE distance from the ball, this causes you to come down on far too steep a plane to even get to the ball.... it subsequently causes your arse to move forward in the downswing... standard early extension, again pretty normal, easily fixed with good setup, good spine angle and shoulder tilt towards the ball.
6) Your right leg I happen to like but as (Tommo and SGC001 both kinda mention) it doesn't actually tie in very well with a flat shoulder turn (you can't angle your hips at 45° whilst turning your shoulders at 20°) you have to do either/or. If you want to fix it to create more resistance then square your right foot a little, it's flared, I'd rather you kept it as it is and dealt with that flat shoulder plane though.
7) You have left wrist cuppage.... I happen not to like this but again it's pretty standard with a 2 plane swing.

So, thinning it down a bit (and ignoring my pm for a minute), are you suggesting mainly to stand a little closer to the ball, tilt my left shoulder down at the ball more and have a shorter backswing?

There's lots going on in there. I'd like to see you in my office.....!!

You do know the birch is illegal now don't you?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
So, thinning it down a bit (and ignoring my pm for a minute), are you suggesting mainly to stand a little closer to the ball, tilt my left shoulder down at the ball more and have a shorter backswing?

I'd adjust your setup, a little taller in the leg, a little more over the ball with the upper body (ball closer).

Have your shoulder turn bring the club up on plane (as the left shoulder goes down).

And I'd have you hitting 8 irons with the ball in the middle of your stance and the grip of the club leaning 30-45° forwards! (hands well ahead at impact)

The backswing will take care of itself.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Couple of pics....

Backswing plane.... RED line

G1a.jpg

Top of backswing... BLUE line

G2a.jpg

On the way down hands should drop backwards and come down on the RED line however you can see your hands come down the BLUE line...

G1.jpg

This next one shows your shoulder plane..... closer that line gets to the ball the better.

g2.jpg

Finally, your little 'over the top rotation move' at the top of your swing.... it's hard to spot but you'll see it if you look....

G4.jpg

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks James.

I've bought a book now, and am busy reading it. I think the next couple of months will be very interesting.

It reminds me of the old Status Quo dance! :D