Another ridiculous set of irons. (Callaway Razr HL)

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I got to try another set of irons today, again with graphite and SGI design.

Callaway Razr HL irons, just the irons mind you, not the whole shebang.

BONKERS. Just utterly crazy, mad, insane.

What is going on here? Lower the lofts, chuck in an inch longer graphite and abracadabra, you've got irons that go not one, but two clubs further than normal. BUT, it doesn't make any sense....not a single iron that goes under 140 yards.

What next - 5 wedges? :)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

you've got irons that go not one, but two clubs further than normal. BUT, it doesn't make any sense....not a single iron that goes under 140 yards. :)

Good point! Why don't you email Callaway and tell them you really like their new irons but how do they suggest you overcome the gap between their 9 iron and your PW, 30 yards?
They must be bringing out a range of OGWs, "other gap wedges".

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good point! Why don't you email Callaway and tell them you really like their new irons but how do they suggest you overcome the gap between their 9 iron and your PW, 30 yards?
They must be bringing out a range of OGWs, "other gap wedges".

Good thinking Crow. Maybe they can answer. :)

I have noticed Callaway used to sell "10" irons as well as GWs and AWs.

I wouldn't mind the distances of these clubs if it extended to the 5 iron...

imagine 9i 142
8i 154
7i 166
6i 178
5i 190....that would be good.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Callaway Razr HL irons, just the irons mind you, not the whole shebang.

BONKERS. Just utterly crazy, mad, insane.

What is going on here? Lower the lofts, chuck in an inch longer graphite and abracadabra, you've got irons that go not one, but two clubs further than normal. BUT, it doesn't make any sense....not a single iron that goes under 140 yards.

What next - 5 wedges? :)

you called ? :whistle:

Losttheplot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
According to Callaway website, they are the same lengths ... And just one degree loft on all irons (apart from PW which is 44)

Its just mad that we now have a PW which is 44 degrees. thats 2 clubs worth of loft added to the PW over the years of production.

Is this just so every year they can say the irons go longer than ever before...

Totally bonkers from Callaway. The problem is most other manufacturers are doing the same. Disappointing.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
According to Callaway website, they are the same lengths ... And just one degree loft on all irons (apart from PW which is 44)

This is compared to X-18 steel uniflex - yes? That's interesting.

Trouble is, I use the 8/9/PW from my Mizuno MX-900 set (as in my avatar), which could explain the crazy distances. For example, my PW is stock 47, de-lofted to 48. This compared to the Razr lofted at 44 and in graphite.......

I'm beginning to get the idea as to why now. :)

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. I'm trying them on the course tomorrow, let's see. :)

Losttheplot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Over the years IMO manufacturers have gone mad. having 5-6 degrees of difference between what is classed as a PW is crazy. That could be up to 2 1/2 clubs worth of distance, maybe 25 yards in some cases between a PW now and one from say 5 years ago.

I'd love to see this eradicated and there be specific degree of lofts (with tolerances to + or - 1 degree or something) so you know a PW is a PW and not actually like an 8 iron now.

As previously said, the gap now between a new PW and your wedges in the bag must be interesting!!!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Part of the problem is the weighting of the heads.
Mostly, it's SGI clubs that have these low lofted PW's.
These clubs are designed to get the ball in the air quicker than, say, an AP2 47* PW
So they are weighted to get the ball up. If you keep traditional lofts then you're going to take your eye out with these clubs.
That partly explains the lower lofts

Yes there has been a lowering to increase distance as well but the design of the clubs is a large chunk of it.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Part of the problem is the weighting of the heads.
Mostly, it's SGI clubs that have these low lofted PW's.
These clubs are designed to get the ball in the air quicker than, say, an AP2 47* PW
So they are weighted to get the ball up. If you keep traditional lofts then you're going to take your eye out with these clubs.
That partly explains the lower lofts

Yes there has been a lowering to increase distance as well but the design of the clubs is a large chunk of it.

Sure, agreed.

In this particular (ex-demo) set instead of coming 4-SW, they're 5-SW incl AW too.

So 40 9i, 44 PW, 49 AW, 54 SW. I shan't be using the SW (I have an unusual/rare club made by some random company, Title???something) :)

I guess if the 9 goes 140, and PW 125 and AW 110, then I could be interested. My current PW tops out 110 (?)

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
If a driver can be 8 degrees or 12 degrees then why cant a wedge be 44 or 48?
as long as they dont hide the loft from customers it shouldnt be a problem (club specs can be found on the manufacturer websites). I never take any heed of what anyone else hits to a green so I dont see why it should matter.