Another Mass Shooting in the US

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Swango1980

Visit site
That’s a sad conversation to have and arguably people in the uk are already having this with knife crime, it won’t be long before this spreads to guns
I'm guessing there may be a few obstacles in the UK for us to have the same issue with guns. For obvious reasons, it isn't too hard for someone to get their hands on a knife. Little more difficult to get a gun in the UK.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
It's horrible, it's tragic, and something should be done about it. But sadly, it won't. It's been discussed on here before, but the problem is that guns are so entrenched in the American psyche that they will never disappear. Obama tried to do it and couldn't succeed. For those in the gun lobby, their only answer is "more guns". They are more concerned about protecting the Second Amendment than about protecting peoples lives. There is no reason for anybody to own AR15 style rifles, but they continue to do so.
I have family in Texas who all own guns. They can buy their bullets in Walmart. They are too freely available, and those who have their own agenda block all efforts to put on any restrictions. I am not sure if there will ever be an "enough is enough" situation in the USA. The whole thing is just a mess.
The sad thing that in other "civilised" countries where this happened, legislation was then put in place. I actually think many Americans are now resigned to it.
Countries That Have Banned Assault-Style Firearms

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
I remember Dunblane and Hungerford very well.
We are quick to pass judgement elsewhere, especially the USA.
Then it helps us forget our own problems.

We need to understand not just the how but the why.
The underlying insanity of religion, for example, has claimed the lives of millions.
As just one instance, how could up to 100 million lives have been lost in China (Taiping revolt) over some religious interpretation?
You have to get to the bottom of it all, so it's not all about guns.

D

Deleted member 15344

The underlying insanity of religion, for example, has claimed the lives of millions.
As just one instance, how could up to 100 million lives have been lost in China (Taiping revolt) over some religious interpretation?

What problems do the UK have in regards gun control ?

Yes we have Hungerford and Dunblane - two incidents over 30 plus years

The USA have had how many this year alone

So yes it is ok to point fingers at the fact in the US when you’re 18 you can walk into a shop buy a gun , the next day buy a load of ammo and then go on a killing spree

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

The US has had 27 school shootings this year alone and done nothing about gun control. I think that's plenty reason to pass judgement.

D

Deleted member 1147

The US has had 27 school shootings this year alone and done nothing about gun control. I think that's plenty reason to pass judgement.
That's more than 1 per week :eek:

But, apparently, their problems have nothing on ours :unsure:

Swango1980

Visit site

You need to get off your high horse, and understand the context of the point that was made regarding Dunblane. At no point did anyone mention that we live in some sort of Utopia in the UK. Of course there are a million of one problems in the world outside mass shootings.

However, this is a thread about mass shootings. Now, since Dunblane, compare the number of mass shootings that have occurred in the UK and then compare that to the USA. You can even scale the numbers to deal with the population size difference to both countries. Once you do that, perhaps it might show that USA has a bigger problem with mass shootings than the UK.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Know he can be an irritation to some, but interesting move from Corden - guess he's communicated he's leaving

Very well said from James Corden, spoken from his heart through and through.
I, and expect many people agree with every single word.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
You have to point the finger at the people who make the laws and they are very likely to be influenced by outside political and religious views.

It seems incredible to us that US presidents have taken advice from astrologers and evangelists.
It seems absurd that many Americans feel the need to carry guns but it's part of their constitution and culture.
A gun is a present that may be given on a teenager's 18th birthday, so you have to blame the parents as well.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You have to point the finger at the people who make the laws and they are very likely to be influenced by outside political and religious views.

It seems incredible to us that US presidents have taken advice from astrologers and evangelists.
It seems absurd that many Americans feel the need to carry guns but it's part of their constitution and culture.
A gun is a present that may be given on a teenager's 18th birthday, so you have to blame the parents as well.

I must admit I am not sure what point you are trying to make but that might just be me.

I would personally point fingers at both the law makers but also the huge number of American's who value the freedom to carry arms above the lives of their children.

The argument at the moment is that they would rather keep archaic parts of their constitution and culture than save the lives of 6, 7 and 8 year old children. This seems very odd as to why any supposedly civilised country would value a gun over a child's life. Also, how often has a gun carrying member of the public stopped a school shooting? I can't think of any.

Anyway, here's a controversial idea for the Americans.....

Have a public vote as to whether the gun laws should be tightened. For those who vote yes they have the option of sending their children to a school with a decent amount of armed security based there. Those who vote no send their children to a standard school with no protection. Anyone keen to be school shooter is directed to the latter schools as they're a softer target. Maybe a few shootings in these schools would change some minds. That said it hasn't over the last 27 shootings this year so it probably wouldn't.