Another club closing

Visit site
Surprised that they're closing Broke Hill, even given how close it is to a station (if you're buying a golf course to develop C. lakes is imo far better positioned as Chelsfield is the faster line into the city) I'll be quite interested to see what they make of it.

where else do you think people will move over to?
Suspect Broke Hill was easier to get permission and is nearer to station anyway. Knockholt Station is over the road from Broke Hill entrance, so perfect for new housing.
Shame, it is a far better course than C.Lakes and there are many better courses nearby that will swallow up the bulk of members. Always enjoyed playing there and clubhouse was one of the better in area.
A number of members clubs offering no joining fee and a number of business clubs in area too offering good deals. Most better than CL too.
Lullinstone and High Elm on the doorstep for CL type membership.
Short drive to West Malling, Woodlands, Pedham Place, Nizels, Westerham, Wrotham Heath, Redlibetts etc etc.
Always sad to see another one fall.

FlyBoy

Visit site
I am a Member of Broke Hill and some information needs to be clarified and corrected.

The owner isn't a Russian; here's from one of the 'stans. He is a billionaire. He has 60% ownership of his entire empire which is run through, but not exclusively, companies in Switzerland, Liechtenstein and one office with one man in Bristol, probably the minimum to satisfy UK regulatory requirements. He likes to keep as much of his setup secret.

The club does not make a profit, and has not done so for years. Almost allegedly deliberately; the course is in Sevenoaks, Kent, who are under UK Government pressure to build far more housing. Ironically Chelsfield Lakes, 1 mile away, which he owns, does make a profit and has the luxury of a driving range, and it's in Bromley, Greater London.

One of the reason it may be in dire straits is that, in an effort to chase revenue, about 4 years ago they introduced, like so many pseudo-members only clubs, a points based Fairways membership scheme. However, they oversold this far too much such that the claimed 640'ish members have currently too low a proportion of full paying 7 & 5 day members to sustain it. The current 8 year financial squeeze hasn't helped either.

Promises 4 years ago of an extensive clubhouse extension funded by the owner never materialize; then we were told out-of-the-blue at the 2016 AGM that we were actually now waiting for a Santander loan to be approved! Looks like the billionaire saw the writing on the wall, or maybe not...... see next section.

As for the sale, well many of us believe there is a misdirection taking place. The owner's empire has two main business arms; a golfing arm, and a developer arm. See where this is going? Yep, it is now the firm belief that this is little more than cheap internal transfer from the golfing arm to the other. The only funds to move are those needed to close Broke Hill Golf Club Ltd solvently, covering all debts and legal commitments including redundancies, etc... Hence the convenient offer to transfer everything to CL.

There is no guarantee that planning permission will be granted. Maybe the Phoenix will rise again......

Last edited:

Trojan615

Head Pro
Visit site
Just seen Potters Bar GC from the train and it looks terrible. Fairways are like US Open rough. Looks like another one gone

Potters bar hs been closed for months.....housing I believe. They have security to stop dog walkers etc getting on.

I think it’s really interesting to get a good view of nature reclaiming the site.. the greens are done, fairways and rough are still alive an growing well. Even a couple of trees down in the recent storms. Tee markers, ball washers etc still ther, even the bunkers. Flags have gone...

sunshine

Visit site
Just seen Potters Bar GC from the train and it looks terrible. Fairways are like US Open rough. Looks like another one gone

It closed in December. There was another thread on here where a member was debating his options.

I go past it on the train every day and it's been interesting to watch the growth. Even a month ago it still looked like a golf course but nature has really accelerated in the last few weeks. Interesting to see how the grass on the greens grows so much slower than the fairways.

Obviously the landowner wants to develop it into a housing estate but the land is quite undulating and there is a stream running through it so not sure how this will pan out.

sunshine

Visit site
Update on Potters Bar... when I went past this morning, I noticed that someone had cut the grass. Not down to fairway height, but maybe 3 or 4 inches. I was surprised, why would you pay someone to cut the grass?

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Update on Potters Bar... when I went past this morning, I noticed that someone had cut the grass. Not down to fairway height, but maybe 3 or 4 inches. I was surprised, why would you pay someone to cut the grass?

Absolutely no idea on the location, but could have been a farmer cutting it for hay?

We have abandoned playing fields near us and the local farmer cuts it once a year and then comes and collects it all in the big black bale things you see about the place.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
It closed in December. There was another thread on here where a member was debating his options.

I go past it on the train every day and it's been interesting to watch the growth. Even a month ago it still looked like a golf course but nature has really accelerated in the last few weeks. Interesting to see how the grass on the greens grows so much slower than the fairways.

Obviously the landowner wants to develop it into a housing estate but the land is quite undulating and there is a stream running through it so not sure how this will pan out.

I was a member at PB , apparently Only parts of the land are suitable for housing due to flood risk. It's criss crossed by a public footpath so I may take a wander round one evening.