Another car thread...

dangermouse

Assistant Pro
Visit site
After the car thread the other week, I am another boardee in need of motoring advice.

I have a 5yr old Lexus IS that I am looking to change, for a number of reasons, and am looking for any recommendations (am mainly looking at medwayjon and smiffy here, but am open to suggestions from anyone).

I would like to spend less than £20,000 if possible, and something less than 3 years old would be preferable too. I could probably find a bit more money, b ut am planning to move house this year so will have to keep the cost as low as possible. Have looked at a few BMWs without feeling inspired, and am currently considering the Passat CC TDI, which I like the look of.

Other than price, and the ability to hold a golf bag, I have no other restrictions on choice - no kids or pets or anything, but I do like a bit of room and comfort. Recommend away!

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
I would go for the Mercedes-Benz CLK 220 CDI (diesel) In avantgarde spec and of course as an auto.

Will return over 40mpg and looks the dogs.

Should buy an 07-plate with 20k for around £17995 or so.

Will have the superb MB warranty for a year still and will be bomb-proof reliable and very stylish and comfortable.

If you wanted to be a bit jazzier you could get a sport-spec for another grand.

Not surprised about the BMW thing, they leave me cold to be honest.

Other option that would be nice would be the A4 2.0TDI Cabriolet, you should get a 2y/o with good miles for £18495 with bags of spec.

They would be my punts for a man with that budget and no kids/animals to accommodate.

Paul2009

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Definately like the passat cc - lovely looking car! Surprised you dont like bmw's - For that sort of budget you could get a 3 series coupe which are great to drive and great looking IMO.Apart from those mentioned there is things like the alfa romeo brera, the audi tt, new megane coupe - lovely looking again, volkswagen sirocco .... ill stop blabbering lol

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
If you want to get anywhere, don't buy an alfa.
Rubbish. I've had an '04 156 from new, and it's a superb motor, and done 70k problem free miles; and of course now surpassed by the 159 & Brera. The Brera is also now in the top 10 of low depreciators as well, people are waking up to the fact Alfa don't make Alfa Sud's anymore, pity they are 20 years behind the times.

Want unreliable? Buy a Merc or a Beemmer.

Paul2009

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I definately disagree the beemers are unreliable! Think how many ancient ones you see on the road. My uncle deals in cars and hes got loads of early 90s bmw's and theyre going like new. Alfas are known to be unreliable but i think the brera is meant to be ok

EchtLoon

Challenge Tour Pro
www.thehomeofpoker.co.uk
I definately disagree the beemers are unreliable! Think how many ancient ones you see on the road. My uncle deals in cars and hes got loads of early 90s bmw's and theyre going like new. Alfas are known to be unreliable but i think the brera is meant to be ok
Alfas are cliched to be unreliable. My sample size of one says differently.

I'm a member of the Alfa forum, and there are few horror stories considering the rep they have in general, which was earned in the 70s & 80s when Alfa built rusty unreliable pieces of junk, but is being slowly but surely unbuilt with modern Alfas.

An ex-Alfa main dealer mechanic (note 'ex') says there is no issue with Alfas at all, as long as people service them, problems will occur if they skip on maintenance, but that is as much the owners fault as the cars surely?

As for Beemers, yes you see a lot of old ones, I don't doubt that their build quality used to be great, so they will happily hit 200k, whereas old generation Alfas are now simply a pile of oxide, but more pertinent to me would be the number of times I see the blue and white propellor at the side of the M6, bonnet up, driver sitting over the barrier waiting for the orange van to arrive, especially with modern cars as opposed to older ones.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would go for the Mercedes-Benz CLK 220 CDI (diesel) In avantgarde spec and of course as an auto.

Will return over 40mpg and looks the dogs.

Should buy an 07-plate with 20k for around £17995 or so.

Will have the superb MB warranty for a year still and will be bomb-proof reliable and very stylish and comfortable.

My car. I can get 44/45mpg on a run without heavy boots on.
Would have it over ANY beemer all day long

Jahmoo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just changed my BMW 320d 55 plate for the New Audi A4 2.0d, for all Bimmer lovers I am sorry to say it is a better drive and has a lot more for the money. Golf Clubs in the boot, well loads more room than the BMW, but you still have to take the Woods out of the bag to get them in, but with the leccy Trolly fits with plenty of space for Battery and Shoes.

Good luck spending that money, sure you will make the right choice in the end :)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
At Mrs Mogs company they went mad for Alfas for about a year, and then the fleet manager put a block on them as they were always in the garage (even more so than the bimmers). They were all fully serviced, etc. This was 3 years ago. If you have the one that works, lucky you, but it is the only one.

Can't go wrong with a Merc, as long as you ditch it before the wings go rusty.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just changed my BMW 320d 55 plate for the New Audi A4 2.0d, for all Bimmer lovers I am sorry to say it is a better drive and has a lot more for the money. Golf Clubs in the boot, well loads more room than the BMW, but you still have to take the Woods out of the bag to get them in, but with the leccy Trolly fits with plenty of space for Battery and Shoes.

Good luck spending that money, sure you will make the right choice in the end :)

Should have gone for the A6 Jahmoo, swallows big golf bags whole!! :D

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
I find it absolutely staggering that these largish cars cant take a golf bag with clubs still in!!!

I drive a VW Bora which is basically a golf with an arse, much smaller than an A4 or a 320 and my golf bag which is a Mizuno tour bag fits in dead easy with all my drivers etc still present & correct.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
I would go the CC route, it’s a lovely car and I’ve driven one. You will get your clubs in the boot without taking out the woods and if you drive sensibly you will get around 45 plus MPG while still giving a good turn of speed even with the 140 tdi engine.

Personally I would not waste money on a new one, look for a mint 08 plate and you will save a few grand (new golf clubs) and depreciation will not be as quick. Get one with a dealers first service stamp and you’ll not need one for another for 20,000 miles or so.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
I've got an 04 BMW 320cd and I can get my clubs in the boot without taking the woods out and I have a tour bag. I still have room for my powakaddy without having to take the wheeks off.
I had it remapped by Celtic Tuning and it's like a different car, power is up to 200bhp and I can get 60mpg all be it mostly motorway driving.
I had a saloon Passat for a little while when my old car had been written off and it was a very good car.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
What engine is in yours vig?

I had a drive of the CLK 280 Sport a few weeks ago, that was scary fast!!!

220 CDI.

BTW if you want something scary fast, the 3litre slk is and the SL500 also take some spare kecks :D

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just changed my BMW 320d 55 plate for the New Audi A4 2.0d, for all Bimmer lovers I am sorry to say it is a better drive and has a lot more for the money.

OK.....it should have more for the money.