And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
They have bought Jorginho who is a good player - a defensive mid but they already have the best in the World - Kante so i dont see that being an upgrade.

Wrong. The signing of Jorginho was never intended to be as an upgrade to Kante. They're completely different players that play together in the midfield. Jorginho will sit in front of the defence and play a "regista" role - think Andrea Pirlo - he picks the ball up and dictates the play, moving the oppositions midfield around looking for gaps. The key to getting the most out of Jorginho is having a midfielder that can win the ball back for him - at Napoli he had Allan, at Chelsea he's got the best in the world Kante. Jorginho's absolutely key to Sarri's system and a superb signing.

As for Kovacic. He will play alongside Jorginho and Kante as the more advanced creative midfielder - but what Chelsea will like is that he can adapt and move into any of the 3 central midfield roles if required. He may not have had many opportunities at Real Madrid but he is incredibly talented - he has excellent technique, he can pass, he can shoot, he can dribble and he can tackle - he's got everything to be a world class central midfielder. Last season he was ranked 9th in passing per 90 mins, 4th in dribbles and 14th in tackles for players who had made over 20 appearances in La Liga which considering his bit-part role is very impressive. He's a very good signing.

D

Deleted member 15344

Wrong. The signing of Jorginho was never intended to be as an upgrade to Kante. They're completely different players that play together in the midfield. Jorginho will sit in front of the defence and play a "regista" role - think Andrea Pirlo - he picks the ball up and dictates the play, moving the oppositions midfield around looking for gaps. The key to getting the most out of Jorginho is having a midfielder that can win the ball back for him - at Napoli he had Allan, at Chelsea he's got the best in the world Kante. Jorginho's absolutely key to Sarri's system and a superb signing.

As for Kovacic. He will play alongside Jorginho and Kante as the more advanced creative midfielder - but what Chelsea will like is that he can adapt and move into any of the 3 central midfield roles if required. He may not have had many opportunities at Real Madrid but he is incredibly talented - he has excellent technique, he can pass, he can shoot, he can dribble and he can tackle - he's got everything to be a world class central midfielder. Last season he was ranked 9th in passing per 90 mins, 4th in dribbles and 14th in tackles for players who had made over 20 appearances in La Liga which considering his bit-part role is very impressive. He's a very good signing.

In regards Jorginho for me the jury is out - i dont see him having the same impact in the Prem where a player has less time on the ball to be able to pick out players - the same sort of issues players like Veron and Pogba have had in recent years - a lot more teams will press him higher and quicker than he would have faced in Serie A and the space on the pitch will certainly be a lot more tighter - seemed to struggle in the highlights i saw of the Community shield when he was harrassed and the ball was taken from him a number of times and reports says he will sit at the base of a three which would mean also having to protect a backline with issues , something he also struggled with against City. He was a good player for Napoli - dont see the same impact in the Prem

Kovacic - stats about "dribbles" " 9th in passing" "14th in tackles" - at the end of the days dont really mean much - he struggled as soon as Zidane arrived at the club , only there as back up and even for Croatia only as back up - if he is in the midfield three you then have a midfield that last season scored a grand total of 5 goals all season - Kante 1 , Jorginho 4 and Kovacic 0. If Chelsea were that sure of Kovacic then why the loan - buy him outright.

But we will see as the season pans out and how the players fit in to playing in the Prem - certainyl a good number of new players to keep an eye on

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

Thankyou dan for saying it more eloquently than I could. Going on a bit more about Chelsea. If they manage to keep Hazard, it will be a good window. The talk of Chelsea staying in touch with the top three was always about Courtois, Hazard and Willian. Courtois was always going, Willian staying was like another signing. Hazard staying will be massive.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s Navas mate, he was No1 last season.
Maybe Real just see Courtois as an upgrade.
Navas put in some outstanding performances last season, just think Real see the chance of getting a better keeper.
European transfer window doesn’t close until end of Aug, so they might get offers for him.
Also in his early 30’s, Courtois is 26, maybe age related for future.

you missed off the dodgy bit from his description (although not quite Karius level he's prone to make a error or 3!)

D

Deleted member 16999

you missed off the dodgy bit from his description (although not quite Karius level he's prone to make a error or 3!)
Apparently all the best are, Spain were close to dropping their No1 at the World Cup. :)

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Am sure he would get in the team in front of Barkley and may well push fabergas for a starting spot as well.
gotta say as a neutral I think Chelsea have done some stonking business this window. Would be worried if I was utd fan at the moment. Think that City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and spurs are looking strong.

Don't believe all you read in the media!
The 2nd placed squad from last season is better signed 2 quality looking midfielders (although technically 1) and have a fresh Sanchez for the whole season rather than 4 months.
Yes JM obviously wanted to strength the defence but goals conceeded was not a massive issue.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't believe all you read in the media!
The 2nd placed squad from last season is better signed 2 quality looking midfielders (although technically 1) and have a fresh Sanchez for the whole season rather than 4 months.
Yes JM obviously wanted to strength the defence but goals conceeded was not a massive issue.

Oh and the Mourinho 3rd season myth

At Chelsea

2nd place
League cup winner
FA Cup winner
CL semi

At Madrid

2nd place
CL semi
Domestic cup final
Spanish community shield

Imagine being so good that your supposedly collapsing 3rd season is better than Pochetino, Sarri, Klopp best season...... :D

D

Deleted member 15344

The BBC Pundits have done their Predictions for the Top 4

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45088530

Most have gone for City winning and Liverpool 2nd with three going the other way round

And then there is a mix of the teams behind with a good number having Spurs missing out

So what do you reckon will be top 4

mine -

1. City
2. Liverpool
3. Utd
4. Arsenal

with Spurs missing out in 5th and Chelsea in 6th

I think Citys squad is still the best in the league - they have strength everywhere , a few question marks on which CB pairing will start etc but think its going to take a lot to beat them

Liverpool - have strengthened in areas where they needed to - overall the squad is better and there are now very good players who can come in , a lot will depend on the front three and how they fare this season but i think the midfield will be key and how Keita and Fabinho settle - qutie excited about the season

Man Utd - they have added a couple of players and they will still get the results but i think Maureens fighting with players and boardroom will affect the performaces on top of his tactics - but far too much quality in the squad to struggle to get top 4

Arsenal - starting fresh , have bought in areas where they needed to strengthen , not top quality players but good enough to give a platform to the strikers who should score goals - lots

Spurs - If they can keep everyone fit and fresh all season then they will get a top 4 but i dont see it and think their squad is far too thin for a long season

Chelsea - just dont see the squad being good enough and consistent - not enough goals and not sure about the backline

The Surprise packages for me could be Fulham and Wolves - both bought well and impressively , very good squads and can see them challenging the likes of Burnley and Everton or West Ham for those spots just outside the top 6 trying to break in

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
In regards Jorginho for me the jury is out - i dont see him having the same impact in the Prem where a player has less time on the ball to be able to pick out players - the same sort of issues players like Veron and Pogba have had in recent years - a lot more teams will press him higher and quicker than he would have faced in Serie A and the space on the pitch will certainly be a lot more tighter - seemed to struggle in the highlights i saw of the Community shield when he was harrassed and the ball was taken from him a number of times and reports says he will sit at the base of a three which would mean also having to protect a backline with issues , something he also struggled with against City. He was a good player for Napoli - dont see the same impact in the Prem

Kovacic - stats about "dribbles" " 9th in passing" "14th in tackles" - at the end of the days dont really mean much - he struggled as soon as Zidane arrived at the club , only there as back up and even for Croatia only as back up - if he is in the midfield three you then have a midfield that last season scored a grand total of 5 goals all season - Kante 1 , Jorginho 4 and Kovacic 0. If Chelsea were that sure of Kovacic then why the loan - buy him outright.

But we will see as the season pans out and how the players fit in to playing in the Prem - certainyl a good number of new players to keep an eye on

He plays a similarish role to the one Xabi Alonso played at Liverpool, or that Fabregas played early in his career, they seemed to do alright in the Premier League. I think Jorginho will do just fine, he's brilliant at the role that he plays and once Kante's back he'll be able to get on with his job. His primary role is not to protect the back three - that's Kante's job. Jorginho's role is to be an outlet for the defence and the goalkeeper so that he can trigger the Chelsea attacks.

How does it not mean much? It shows that despite limited opportunities, when he had them he performed admirably in a variety of aspects required of a central midfielder. Also - obviously he's the back-up, as if that's a bad thing, his competition for club and country is arguably the best midfielder of this current generation Luka Modric.

Wolves have done some brilliant business this season. Dendoncker is another excellent signing. Solid defensive-minded midfield player that is versatile and can play in either a central midfield role, a deeper midfield role or at centre half. Has already broken into the Belgium squad and looks a serious talent. Add him to Traore, Moutinho, Patricio, Boly, Jota, Jimenez and Bonatini and you've got a very solid squad for a newly promoted team. I think they'll do well.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If we're doing predictions:

1. City - just too good. They'll win it again.
2. Liverpool - made some solid midfield signings and sorted the keeper issue out. They'll push a bit harder but City will pip them.
3. United - Mourinho is just distracting us all and getting his excuses in early, but their squad is still solid.
4. Spurs - a lot may depend on what happens today in the market, but if we don't sell anyone we don't really need to buy anyone. Our squad is pretty solid as it is.
5. Arsenal - done brilliantly in the transfer market, and they'll push us very close for 4th.
6. Chelsea - not sure about the new keeper, not sure where goals are coming from if Hazard has a strop because he didn't get a move away. Not a lot of strength on their bench either.

Relegated:
Southampton - Mark Hughes is their manager. They still don't have any goals in that team either.
Brighton - much as I like Hughton, I don't think their squad is good enough.
Cardiff - they've got no chance. Championship squad with a Championship manager at the helm. They'll be lucky to get 20 points, never mind 35-40.

D

Deleted member 16999

Gobsmacked people don’t see Chelsea top 4, new man in charge, squad strengthened by signings and some players returning better from being on loan.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Gobsmacked people don’t see Chelsea top 4, new man in charge, squad strengthened by signings and some players returning better from being on loan.
The 'new man' is hardly a huge name though. He's done reasonably well with Napoli without winning anything. That's it. After two years of playing wing backs the players will have to adapt to 4-3-3 now as well. They've signed Jorginho and Kovacic, fair enough, decent midfield signings if they settle quickly. They've spent a vast sum on an inexperienced and very young keeper, who I cannot see being an upgrade on the excellent Courtois by any stretch. They're still relying on the woeful Morata up front. Hazard desperately wanted to leave and hasn't got his wish, so we don't know how focussed he's going to be. I think their season is very up in the air.

D

Deleted member 16999

The 'new man' is hardly a huge name though. He's done reasonably well with Napoli without winning anything. That's it. After two years of playing wing backs the players will have to adapt to 4-3-3 now as well. They've signed Jorginho and Kovacic, fair enough, decent midfield signings if they settle quickly. They've spent a vast sum on an inexperienced and very young keeper, who I cannot see being an upgrade on the excellent Courtois by any stretch. They're still relying on the woeful Morata up front. Hazard desperately wanted to leave and hasn't got his wish, so we don't know how focussed he's going to be. I think their season is very up in the air.
You can find the negative with all top 6 and spin it both ways, imo, Chelsea will be there or there about top 4.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can find the negative with all top 6 and spin it both ways, imo, Chelsea will be there or there about top 4.
Well there are six teams who will 'there or there abouts'. Two have to miss out. Arsenal have done better than Chelsea in this window. Got a more proven manager, and made better signings, for a start. With Spurs it massively depends on what happens today of course. If we lose Toby and/or anyone else and don't replace them then it doesn't look great, but if we don't sell anyone I think our squad remains strong. United have the worry that Mourinho might explode, but I think he's just doing his usual distraction tactics and they'll be fine.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
West Ham have signed Lucas Perez from Arsenal. Looked good in La Liga but was utter pants for Arsenal. Not the best signing by any means. They seem to like signing Arsenal rejects.

Jates12

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Wrong. The signing of Jorginho was never intended to be as an upgrade to Kante. They're completely different players that play together in the midfield. Jorginho will sit in front of the defence and play a "regista" role - think Andrea Pirlo - he picks the ball up and dictates the play, moving the oppositions midfield around looking for gaps.

This is by no means a dig because i play as much FM as you would care to imagine, but this had me howling. I see im as more of a Segundo Volante!

The Regista and the admiration of Yarmolenko makes me know you play loads of Football Manager Dan :) :rofl:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

Well there are six teams who will 'there or there abouts'. Two have to miss out. Arsenal have done better than Chelsea in this window. Got a more proven manager, and made better signings, for a start. With Spurs it massively depends on what happens today of course. If we lose Toby and/or anyone else and don't replace them then it doesn't look great, but if we don't sell anyone I think our squad remains strong. United have the worry that Mourinho might explode, but I think he's just doing his usual distraction tactics and they'll be fine.
It’s not just about the top 6 and signings though is it?
Spurs at one stage looked likely to challenge and faded away, therefore players confidence may suffer this season.

Liv, will all their signings be happy being squad players, will it upset established players?

Arsenal, who knows how they’ll settle and start.

Utd, on paper, like others have strengthened or is there too much going on in the background.

Now bring in the teams out of the top 6 and how they’ll set up against these teams.

Teams may well set up very negatively against City and Liv after last season.