And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
The keeper is one of the best in La Liga right now with prob just Oblak ahead of him.

I've never seen him play apart from a couple of highlight clips on Twitter so I'm genuinely interested in this take - he's better than Ter-Stegen, Navas, Adan and Asenjo already? or is it based on potential? How much of him have you actually seen?

D

Deleted member 15344

I've never seen him play apart from a couple of highlight clips on Twitter so I'm genuinely interested in this take - he's better than Ter-Stegen, Navas, Adan and Asenjo already? or is it based on potential? How much of him have you actually seen?

Right now i would put him on par with Ter-Stegen , better than Navas and certainly better than Asenjo and Adan ? the Atletico back up ?

And seen him when Bilbao is on Sky when they show La Liga

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
So you watch La Liga when it's on Sky but don't know who Adan is other than googling him to see he's at Atleti? He just signed for them after an excellent few seasons at Betis where he ended up taking one of the 3 GK spots in the La Liga TOTS last year.

This kid must be bloody good if he's on par with one of the best keepers in Europe in Ter-Stegen, just surprised he's hardly been mentioned here until Chelsea became interested in him.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So you watch La Liga when it's on Sky but don't know who Adan is other than googling him to see he's at Atleti? He just signed for them after an excellent few seasons at Betis where he ended up taking one of the 3 GK spots in the La Liga TOTS last year.

This kid must be bloody good if he's on par with one of the best keepers in Europe in Ter-Stegen, just surprised he's hardly been mentioned here until Chelsea became interested in him.
This is what I was thinking. There's not been a word about him all last season, not even much of a word when he made the Spain squad.

D

Deleted member 15344

So a keeper is that good he has left to become back up at another club ? and no idea what La Liga TOTS - see its some FIFA 18 thing - is that the console game ?!

https://www.futbin.com/18/tots/TOTS-LaLiga

Why if he was that good didnt he go to World Cup ? Has he even had a call up to the national squad ?

And i dont rate Ter Stegen as one of the best in Europe but thats just an opinion

You seem quite put out about all these and im not sure why ? A clearly highly rated young goalkeeper ( rated by some of spains top coaches as well ) is being bought for his release clause - the club clearly think its worth taking the risk , maybe you would have preferred they went for Pickford ? i dont really know.

And why would we speak about him when before he hasnt been talked about coming to a team in the Prem ? Why should people not talking about hm on here matter to his ability and Chelsea wanting to activate his release clause

D

Deleted member 1418

Quick question - why are all you non-Chelsea fans getting so worked up about the cost of our (nearly) new goalkeeper...........and whether he's any good or actually worth the fee?!! ;) :D :D

Just chillax guys!! At the end of the day no-one can name or know about every single professional player in every European league............well my eldest probably could.............but he's 13, a football fanatic with a photographic memory, and a FIFA gaming genius!! :D :D

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
So a keeper is that good he has left to become back up at another club ? and no idea what La Liga TOTS - see its some FIFA 18 thing - is that the console game ?!

https://www.futbin.com/18/tots/TOTS-LaLiga

Why if he was that good didnt he go to World Cup ? Has he even had a call up to the national squad ?

And i dont rate Ter Stegen as one of the best in Europe but thats just an opinion

You seem quite put out about all these and im not sure why ? A clearly highly rated young goalkeeper ( rated by some of spains top coaches as well ) is being bought for his release clause - the club clearly think its worth taking the risk , maybe you would have preferred they went for Pickford ? i dont really know.

And why would we speak about him when before he hasnt been talked about coming to a team in the Prem ? Why should people not talking about hm on here matter to his ability and Chelsea wanting to activate his release clause

It’s the Team of the Season picked by FIFA, EA and representatives from La Liga based on the past seasons form. Normally pretty spot on with their picks. Surprised Adan didn’t stand out enough for you to know who he is when watching La Liga.

I’m not sure where you get the idea I’m put out. All I've done is question your knowledge on a subject. I couldn’t care less if Chelsea replace Courtois with this lad to be honest.

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s the Team of the Season picked by FIFA, EA and representatives from La Liga based on the past seasons form. Normally pretty spot on with their picks. Surprised Adan didn’t stand out enough for you to know who he is when watching La Liga.

I’m not sure where you get the idea I’m put out. All I've done is question your knowledge on a subject. I couldn’t care less if Chelsea replace Courtois with this lad to be honest.

Looking at the awards and website it looks like its all about FIFA 18 so will take it which a pinch of salt as it doesnt seem to be any official, i watch La Liga - he is a young keeper that has been mentioned by the guys presenting the show a number of times , they even spoke about him making a difference of Navas in the CL when it came to the final but i guess this appears to be more about you questioning me as opposed to being interested in the player being signed.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
As someone who watches La Liga more than EPL or any other league to be honest, whilst £71m is a frankly ridiculous amount of money (but that's the market), Kepa is a great young keeper and one that is rated very highly throughout Spain.
Talk of Athletic finishing in 16th being some indication of his ability are way off. Bilbao's problem, as it is many years, was at the other end. They conceded 49 league goals (RM conceded 44 for reference) and this is with a pretty mediocre defence in front of him by Liga standards.

The only question is can he adapt to English life, EPL style, expectation, which will become exorbitantly high, and leaving the very unique style and culture of San Mames.

If he adapts then Chelsea fans will be a happy bunch considering how young he is at 23.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looking at the awards and website it looks like its all about FIFA 18 so will take it which a pinch of salt as it doesnt seem to be any official

It's a feature for FIFA 18 yes, but it is based on real-life performances and is picked by a panel of experts. You can take it with a pinch of salt all you like - I don't care, I'm just surprised you've not heard of him given you watch La Liga and know so much about Kepa.

but i guess this appears to be more about you questioning me as opposed to being interested in the player being signed

Why do you get so defensive? My questions came from a genuine interest in the player and you claimed to know about him so I questioned you on it. Just because I didn't immediately bow to your superior knowledge and challenged you on a couple of things doesn't mean I'm not interested in the player. Don't confuse not caring with not being interested. Also, this is a forum, if you don't like having your opinions and knowledge challenged you're in the wrong place.

D

Deleted member 15344

Seems Chelsea are getting Kovacic on loan for a year as part of the Courtois going to Madrid - another midfielder - not sure where he fits into the team tbh

Wolves sign Traore

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sorry Homer me man, I think you have seen too much sun at Royal Ascot practice ground if you think getting Chambers is good business for Fulham. Good for Arsenal by off loading him. He is poor

I disagree. Jokanovic is a very good man manager and Chambers is only young but has PL experience which is going to be key. I think the manager will get a lot out of him and our system will suit. It's a loan deal so not exactly a big risk financially

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Seems Chelsea are getting Kovacic on loan for a year as part of the Courtois going to Madrid - another midfielder - not sure where he fits into the team tbh

Wolves sign Traore

Am sure he would get in the team in front of Barkley and may well push fabergas for a starting spot as well.
gotta say as a neutral I think Chelsea have done some stonking business this window. Would be worried if I was utd fan at the moment. Think that City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and spurs are looking strong.

D

Deleted member 15344

Am sure he would get in the team in front of Barkley and may well push fabergas for a starting spot as well.
gotta say as a neutral I think Chelsea have done some stonking business this window. Would be worried if I was utd fan at the moment. Think that City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and spurs are looking strong.

They have so far bought one centre mid , a third choice keeper and a guy on loan ?! Plus lost one of the best keepers in the world - That’s stonking ?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
They have so far bought one centre mid , a third choice keeper and a guy on loan ?! Plus lost one of the best keepers in the world - That’s stonking ?

When Chelsea signed Courtois he played for the mighty Genk. He was not one of the best goalies in the world. He then transferred to Athletico where he replaced de Gea. He had three seasons there finding his feet in La Liga. Where he then replaced Cech at Chelsea. The best bit of Chelsea's transfer window was getting rid of someone who did not want to play for them.
How can Chelsea having a player on loan for a season where they do not have to play XXXXXXX millions of pounds be a bad deal, When loaning Courtois out for three years was a good deal. He found his feet at a club in la liga the same as Kepa has done. How's that bad.
A guy on loan, what an understatement. If he had been signed by Liverpool on loan. The comment would of been "Liverpool have signed a World Cup runner up who plays for Real Madrid for the princely sum of nothing. Best bit of transfer business this summer".
What does seem to be lost on some folk is that Chelsea have done some good transfer business and bagged an excellent manager whilst having an owner that was supposed to of lost interest in the club.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

What is happening to the current Real keeper? Has he already gone or is he lined up to go somewhere?
It’s Navas mate, he was No1 last season.
Maybe Real just see Courtois as an upgrade.
Navas put in some outstanding performances last season, just think Real see the chance of getting a better keeper.
European transfer window doesn’t close until end of Aug, so they might get offers for him.
Also in his early 30’s, Courtois is 26, maybe age related for future.

D

Deleted member 15344

When Chelsea signed Courtois he played for the mighty Genk. He was not one of the best goalies in the world. He then transferred to Athletico where he replaced de Gea. He had three seasons there finding his feet in La Liga. Where he then replaced Cech at Chelsea. The best bit of Chelsea's transfer window was getting rid of someone who did not want to play for them.
How can Chelsea having a player on loan for a season where they do not have to play XXXXXXX millions of pounds be a bad deal, When loaning Courtois out for three years was a good deal. He found his feet at a club in la liga the same as Kepa has done. How's that bad.
A guy on loan, what an understatement. If he had been signed by Liverpool on loan. The comment would of been "Liverpool have signed a World Cup runner up who plays for Real Madrid for the princely sum of nothing. Best bit of transfer business this summer".
What does seem to be lost on some folk is that Chelsea have done some good transfer business and bagged an excellent manager whilst having an owner that was supposed to of lost interest in the club.

A great deal of that is irrelevant to the point that was made

You believe Chelsea have had a "stonking" window

Now that to me would mean that the club keep all their world class players , get rid of the dross and also add in a few world class players in areas where they struggle last season

So one of Chelseas biggest issues last season was scoring goals - they were the lowest scorers in the top 6 and Hazard was their top scorer - they had two strikers , this summer they have not changed that a bit - still the same two strikers who struggled plus two coming back from loan who struggled previously

There were also issues with the manager - that wasnt sorted until after Conte started taking pre season which didnt leave the new manager much time to go about business , they have also replaced a Title winner manager ( in more than one country ) with someone who hasnt won anything - risky

One of their World Class players was their keeper but he has now left for a small fee due to his contract situation ( not sure what all the stuff about where he came from is about or where he went on loan - its irrelevant )- not great business unless they replace him with a World Class Keeper the team is weaker - Kepe is a potential star he could be an outstanding keeper but he could also be a massive flop who struggles in the league - risky

They have bought Jorginho who is a good player - a defensive mid but they already have the best in the World - Kante so i dont see that being an upgrade.

Now already for the centre midfield they have - Fabregas , Drinkwater , Barkley , Kante , Loftus-Cheek , Bakayoko plus Jorginho so where does Kovacic ( who spent most of his time on the bench at Madrid and also int he World Cup ) fit in

Chelsea for me dont seem to have strengthen their squad from last season - in fact it looks a bit weaker and still with areas of worry - now the manager may well be able to get more out of the players , he prefers an attacking style which may help but i dont see this "stonking" business you describe and i think Chelsea may well struggle to keep in touch with the Top 4 - a lot will as usual rely on Hazard to score the goals and Kante to do the work of 3 in the middle