And, we’re off.......2018/2019

D

Deleted member 16999

Twitter full of Zaha going to Chelsea and Pickford their No1 target if Courtois goes to RM.

D

Deleted member 15344

So first looking at the top 6 at the end of last season I suspect most would be able to point to areas where they can be improved in the market and also tactically - so with the season coming up soon have those teams tried to address those areas

Man City - hard to see an area but possibly at CB , Kompany is struggling with injuries - Stones form a bit flakey , Otemendi just not good enough and Laporte still a bit new - or at DM where Fernandinho legs are starting to struggle at times hence why I think they were looking to get Jorginho but they have only really made one signing - Mahrez for an area that they don’t really need a fresh face so will be interesting to see how they improve on last season

Man Utd - need a CB to partner Bailley and looks like Maguire the lastest but can still see Alderwield going , think they need a creative player because the manager doesn’t seem to like Mata but their big signing so far Fred plays in a spot already for Matic and Herrera so again not sure about that signing. Think a mentality change from the manager is needed more than players but rumours of Kane would put the future of Lukaku into question - still don’t think he scores enough important goals

Spurs - need depth , been ok with injuries but miss a couple of key players for significant amounts of time and it could be a struggle - especially Kane and Erikson - very surprised one of the big clubs hasn’t looked at Erikson - brilliant player. Beyond Kane it’s where the goals are going to come from - Son ? and beyond that it’s hard to see

Liverpool - needed a GK , and to bring in quality in the middle of the park - bought three players for significant amount who on paper fill the gap and it’s a first 11 that has been improved , Shaqiri adds depth and will be interesting to see how he reacts to not being a starter week in week out - the one I think will make a massive difference is Keita - he has the potential to be Kante but with goals and assists. Going to a big season and players like Sturridge and Origi got a chance to step up and support the front three

Chelsea - been the normal saga with the manager which imo took too long to sort out , everyone knew he was dead man walking yet still started pre season. Have got a manager who played good football in Italy but ultimately has never won - will the Prem be a step too far. Player wise - needed a striker who scores and support for Kante - Jorginho provides that and Morata May have a better second season if he stays. If they lose Courtois, Willian and Hazard that’s their three best players going - will be who they replace them with being key , really big season for them , another season without CL won’t be good

Arsenal - finally Wenger has left which helps the situation a great deal , added a couple of CB’s which should help and a GK who has been thought of highly for a while , still missing the same player they have done for a while - someone to lead the team from the middle of the park , add that and can see them challenging for the the 4th spot with Spurs

So I think this will be the top 6

City fighting for the Title with Liverpool
Utd comfy third
Spurs fighting with Arsenal
Chelsea at the moment in 6th but going to all depend on the next two weeks and what happens with the player movement

Below them - if Everton click then can see them 7th but think they will be battling with Wolves - depends on if Tosun gets scoring

Then will be Burnley , Fulham , Leicester, Palace Newcastle and possibly West Ham mid table

The rest of the teams fighting against relegation with because of the shear number of changes they made West Ham being dragged into it

Pin-seeker

Visit site
So first looking at the top 6 at the end of last season I suspect most would be able to point to areas where they can be improved in the market and also tactically - so with the season coming up soon have those teams tried to address those areas

Man City - hard to see an area but possibly at CB , Kompany is struggling with injuries - Stones form a bit flakey , Otemendi just not good enough and Laporte still a bit new - or at DM where Fernandinho legs are starting to struggle at times hence why I think they were looking to get Jorginho but they have only really made one signing - Mahrez for an area that they don’t really need a fresh face so will be interesting to see how they improve on last season

Man Utd - need a CB to partner Bailley and looks like Maguire the lastest but can still see Alderwield going , think they need a creative player because the manager doesn’t seem to like Mata but their big signing so far Fred plays in a spot already for Matic and Herrera so again not sure about that signing. Think a mentality change from the manager is needed more than players but rumours of Kane would put the future of Lukaku into question - still don’t think he scores enough important goals

Spurs - need depth , been ok with injuries but miss a couple of key players for significant amounts of time and it could be a struggle - especially Kane and Erikson - very surprised one of the big clubs hasn’t looked at Erikson - brilliant player. Beyond Kane it’s where the goals are going to come from - Son ? and beyond that it’s hard to see

Liverpool - needed a GK , and to bring in quality in the middle of the park - bought three players for significant amount who on paper fill the gap and it’s a first 11 that has been improved , Shaqiri adds depth and will be interesting to see how he reacts to not being a starter week in week out - the one I think will make a massive difference is Keita - he has the potential to be Kante but with goals and assists. Going to a big season and players like Sturridge and Origi got a chance to step up and support the front three

Chelsea - been the normal saga with the manager which imo took too long to sort out , everyone knew he was dead man walking yet still started pre season. Have got a manager who played good football in Italy but ultimately has never won - will the Prem be a step too far. Player wise - needed a striker who scores and support for Kante - Jorginho provides that and Morata May have a better second season if he stays. If they lose Courtois, Willian and Hazard that’s their three best players going - will be who they replace them with being key , really big season for them , another season without CL won’t be good

Arsenal - finally Wenger has left which helps the situation a great deal , added a couple of CB’s which should help and a GK who has been thought of highly for a while , still missing the same player they have done for a while - someone to lead the team from the middle of the park , add that and can see them challenging for the the 4th spot with Spurs

Utd comfy third
Chelsea at the moment in 6th but going to all depend on the next two weeks and what happens with the player movement

Below them - if Everton click then can see them 7th but think they will be battling with Wolves - depends on if Tosun gets scoring

Then will be Burnley , Fulham , Leicester, Palace Newcastle and possibly West Ham mid table

The rest of the teams fighting against relegation with because of the shear number of changes they made West Ham being dragged into it

Tbf tho Phil Liverpool could sign Bendtner and you’d put a spin on it.

Danny Ings cough cough 😂

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

Utd comfy third

I agree with quite alot of the above.

I don't think City actually need any more defenders, BUT they just need the ones they have to play to their ability.

UTD fair assessment in regards to the tactics needing a tweak, but Fred may well be the player that allows Pogba to play his game, if that happens then they are a totally different side and one that challenges for the title imo.

I think Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea are after the last CL place. Chelsea have a lot of ifs atm, start the season squad intact and with the usual new manager boost and they could challenege, lose a few players and they could implode. Spurs have a new stadium, been shown that has an adverse effect on teams and could see them off to a slow start. Arsenal i think its a season of rebuild, but if the manager is given time and money then they have the infrastructure to challenge in the future.

That just leaves Liverpool, a couple of big questions. Did they do a Leicester last year, all the fronline had the seasons of their lives. Is that a sign they've gone up a level? If so theyn they will challenge, but if they all drop a mere 10% then thats back to CL qualifiers again imo.

RE the bit in bold. Gotta love a bit of optimism, basically giving him a shout as being the best midfielder in the world.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Quote LP

Kompany was struggling, but has been since he was signed. 38 injuries whilst at City. Yet no mention of Stones injuries last season which is why he had flakey form season, but a good World Cup. Otamendi was our best centre half last season, better than most centre halfs in the league until Liverpool paid a fortune for VVD, but yes, not the complete deal. Laporte has had half a season adjusting to the prem league and will only get better. Four good centre halfs there yet Liverpool have ? Two. "Fernandinho legs are starting to struggle" yet his legs never struggled last year when City broke X number of records, but there are suggestions because of his age they may go this year, we will see. Ave a feeling that Delph may save City a fortune ( supporting Fernadinhio ) who had an excellent year last season and went to the World Cup on the back of it.
"Mahrez for an area that they don't really need a fresh face" hmmmmmmm. Well all the talk last year was who was the better player, De Bryune or Salah. Salah walked it on his goals but his " assists" we're nigh on non existant. His contribution was similar to Kane's at Spurs. Excellent as an individual, but no bus parade with the team.
However City in the top ten assists for goal scoring last year, had, D Bryune, Sane, and Silva. Guess who else chipped in that top ten. Mahrez, who fed just Vardy. How do you think he will fit in with a team like Jesus, Aguero, de Bryune, both Silvas, Sane, Sterling and Foden. Think Sterling could find himself with a bit more bench warming this year.

however, totally agree. Think it's a Liverpool v City race this year. But cannot see Utd finishing 3rd. Think Chelsea will suprise. But the transfer season has not yet finished.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

I agree with quite alot of the above.

I don't think City actually need any more defenders, BUT they just need the ones they have to play to their ability.

UTD fair assessment in regards to the tactics needing a tweak, but Fred may well be the player that allows Pogba to play his game, if that happens then they are a totally different side and one that challenges for the title imo.

I think Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea are after the last CL place. Chelsea have a lot of ifs atm, start the season squad intact and with the usual new manager boost and they could challenege, lose a few players and they could implode. Spurs have a new stadium, been shown that has an adverse effect on teams and could see them off to a slow start. Arsenal i think its a season of rebuild, but if the manager is given time and money then they have the infrastructure to challenge in the future.

That just leaves Liverpool, a couple of big questions. Did they do a Leicester last year, all the fronline had the seasons of their lives. Is that a sign they've gone up a level? If so theyn they will challenge, but if they all drop a mere 10% then thats back to CL qualifiers again imo.

RE the bit in bold. Gotta love a bit of optimism, basically giving him a shout as being the best midfielder in the world.

Keita is just superb - he for me will be a bargain at that price , his engine is superb , he prob won’t be as much as a protector as a Kante but he has the ability - I hate saying it but he will be as close to what Gerrard was like as we have had. He does have the potential and ability to become a World Class midfielder with a bit of bite.

As for the front three yep they were brilliant and it’s going to be hard to replicate it but I tbink they will still play to a high level and possibly even step up even more , Mane had a quiet first half of the season , Salah faded a little , Firmino was a bit of the boil - with Shaqiri there to maybe freshen it up and give them a rest and also maybe Sturridge it could add a bit more of a goal threat.

I think it’s our best squad and first 11 for a very long time along with an exciting manager who plays the game in an exciting way Its got the potential to be a brilliant season - but we must win a trophy

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Keita is just superb - he for me will be a bargain at that price , his engine is superb , he prob won’t be as much as a protector as a Kante but he has the ability - I hate saying it but he will be as close to what Gerrard was like as we have had. He does have the potential and ability to become a World Class midfielder with a bit of bite.

As for the front three yep they were brilliant and it’s going to be hard to replicate it but I tbink they will still play to a high level and possibly even step up even more , Mane had a quiet first half of the season , Salah faded a little , Firmino was a bit of the boil - with Shaqiri there to maybe freshen it up and give them a rest and also maybe Sturridge it could add a bit more of a goal threat.

I think it’s our best squad and first 11 for a very long time along with an exciting manager who plays the game in an exciting way Its got the potential to be a brilliant season - but we must win a trophy

Just don’t go getting your hopes up too much Phil,that way you won’t be disappointed 👍🏻.

Wasn’t Emre Can going to be the next big thing?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

I agree that Keita has a game play similar to that of Gerrard, but I’d be waiting til I’d seen him a few times in the prem first. To me he looks like an Essien (before his injuries). He may well blossom, but atm Kane is a proven pl star, I expect Keita to be tested physically and mentally early doors as he has a temper and if he doesn’t hit the ground running he could struggle.

i agree that this is the best squad of yours that I can remember. I think Klopp tries to play the right way, but to win. Sometimes you have to go agaisnt that too

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I agree that Keita has a game play similar to that of Gerrard, but I’d be waiting til I’d seen him a few times in the prem first. To me he looks like an Essien (before his injuries). He may well blossom, but atm Kane is a proven pl star, I expect Keita to be tested physically and mentally early doors as he has a temper and if he doesn’t hit the ground running he could struggle.

This. I agree he is a huge talent but will need to prove it early on. I think he'll certainly get targeted and sides will see how short that fuse really is. Lots of hype around him so be interesting to see if he can live up to it. If Liverpool are to really contest this has to be their best chance ever with their squad and the ongoing issues at a lot of other clubs. That said City still look ominously strong and deep in talent

D

Deleted member 15344

i agree that this is the best squad of yours that I can remember. I think Klopp tries to play the right way, but to win. Sometimes you have to go agaisnt that too
As with most signings coming into the Prem it’s always going to be a bit testing - what Keita has going for him to help is the style of play he had at Leipzig is very similar to how Klopp plays and in Pre season he seems to fit in and his role will be very fluid , certainly going to fine physically doesn’t mind that bit but got to be careful with the reactions - thankfully he hasn’t really been hyped up much because he isn’t a big name and the arrival of Allison will prob mean he can start under the radar a little

Fabinho could take a little bit longer to get used to the pace of the game , he isn’t the quickest player around so will really need to make sure his positional sense is spot on. And yep Klopp will need to at times learn to win ugly and learn when to sit back and preserve energy - at times last the players looked physically spent at the end of games

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
As with most signings coming into the Prem it’s always going to be a bit testing - what Keita has going for him to help is the style of play he had at Leipzig is very similar to how Klopp plays and in Pre season he seems to fit in and his role will be very fluid , certainly going to fine physically doesn’t mind that bit but got to be careful with the reactions - thankfully he hasn’t really been hyped up much because he isn’t a big name and the arrival of Allison will prob mean he can start under the radar a little

Fabinho could take a little bit longer to get used to the pace of the game , he isn’t the quickest player around so will really need to make sure his positional sense is spot on. And yep Klopp will need to at times learn to win ugly and learn when to sit back and preserve energy - at times last the players looked physically spent at the end of games

You said he had a chance to be a better version of Kante......If that ain’t hype.....

The papers haven’t said much at least, which is a start.

I think a couple of clean sheets at the start with all the guys chipping in will have you set for the season. Last year you were for most of it, the best team to watch. So as long as you keep that up, then i can see a fair few genuine neutrals pulling for ya.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
You said he had a chance to be a better version of Kante......If that ain’t hype.....

The papers haven’t said much at least, which is a start.

I think a couple of clean sheets at the start with all the guys chipping in will have you set for the season. Last year you were for most of it, the best team to watch. So as long as you keep that up, then i can see a fair few genuine neutrals pulling for ya.
Unfortunately, you don't get a parade for the best team to watch. Even that is subjective. Utd who were for most of it Rammel to watch, finished second. Liverpool like City did last year, have to grind out results and sometimes get away from the pretty stuff