And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Bit of a joke that the “champions” league final is against a team that’s lost 13 games this season and other team who haven’t won the league in 29 years

Fgs don’t set them off again,they’ve only just picked their dummies up🤣

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like that idea in someways. But what if a team wins more than one? Quite often a lesser team can be a runner up in a cup compared to a league?

I’d be happy to keep things as they are. Whilst running a league winners cup as a straight knock out. Neutral grounds for all games. One leg. Would probably only add 5 games.

Tough , if they win more than one that’s it.. one place
Say we all know city going to win the league , a team like man united would be forced to focus on the league cup.. making it a proper comp

D

Deleted member 15344

I agree, it's misnamed. Calling it Champion's League and probably around 30-40% of the teams in it are actually champions of that season. Just go back to calling it the European Cup.
I would go back to how it used to be .
European Cup Champions only.
runners up in separate comp.
FA / League cup cup winners cup .
All knock out home and away.

Not holding my breath.

Let’s be honest it’s now 27 years since they changed the format , it’s not like it’s just happened, it’s been this way for a long time now.

And if it didn’t change then the clubs would have just formed their European League anyway. Some may not like it but it has produced some outstanding teams , games , players throughout its history

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Bit of a joke that the “champions” league final is against a team that’s lost 13 games this season and other team who haven’t won the league in 29 years

Both of which have beaten champions in their run to the final, and with exciting football too.

Sounds like a good result to me.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Let’s be honest it’s now 27 years since they changed the format , it’s not like it’s just happened, it’s been this way for a long time now.

And if it didn’t change then the clubs would have just formed their European League anyway. Some may not like it but it has produced some outstanding teams , games , players throughout its history
Yes it has but it’s produced some dead rubber dross as well.
There are teams in CL haven’t got a cats chance and just there for the money.
It is what it is..

D

Deleted member 18588

I don't disagree and overall I have no issue with the qualification criteria.
Also I think you are right that otherwise the top clubs would have, quite likely, have gone off and done their own thing.

However, and I know that it may seem pedantic, I still cannot accept it being called the Champion's League. It isn't!

D

Deleted member 15344

It is what it is..

The old tournament had teams that didn’t have a chance of winning and also produced some awful games - but what the CL does do though 99% of the time bring the best teams and best players together across Europe playing against each other. You didn’t always get that with the European Cup

The old European Cup was good - but it wasnt great.

It’s evolved - as do most sporting events through history

I don't disagree and overall I have no issue with the qualification criteria.
Also I think you are right that otherwise the top clubs would have, quite likely, have gone off and done their own thing.

However, and I know that it may seem pedantic, I still cannot accept it being called the Champion's League. It isn't!

Yeah they name doesn’t ring true and i still call it the European Cup

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
It is what it is..

I think you've touched on what is wrong with it, though quite how you its put right... Wrexham used to win the Welsh Cup and qualify for Europe. I guess the preliminaries sort out the dross.

D

Deleted member 18588

I think you've touched on what is wrong with it, though quite how you its put right... Wrexham used to win the Welsh Cup and qualify for Europe. I guess the preliminaries sort out the dross.

True but the competition they qualified for was the European Cup Winners Cup so that was fair enough.

The name Champions' League implies something that is just not true.

By all means keep the competition as it is, just change the name.

D

Deleted member 16999

I know we all complain about the cheating and diving in the PL, however, the diving and play acting in the EFL play off between Pompey and SLand is on another level it’s embarrassing.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I know we all complain about the cheating and diving in the PL, however, the diving and play acting in the EFL play off between Pompey and SLand is on another level it’s embarrassing.

last nights game between Leeds and Derby the same, clearly not practised the dark arts to premiership level lol

long long overdue the FA actually do something about it

D

Deleted member 16999

last nights game between Leeds and Derby the same, clearly not practised the dark arts to premiership level lol

long long overdue the FA actually do something about it
Absolutely, I understand there’s a lot riding on these games but it’s shocking. VAR in the PL next year will be very interesting.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Totally agree with you!
The champions of each country should be in and that’s it.
Getting into Europe for coming seventh should stop as well.
But money talks.

But to much "Oil" money. Well, it's stops the top table being the top table. 😉

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I'd take winning the Premiership over CL all day long. Probably the FA Cup too! Never been too excited by European football even though some see it as the pinnacle.

If you had told me 20 years ago City would one day be in the prem league I would of thought you were insane. To win it. Not a cat in hells chance. Win it four times in 9 years. Never mind " oh and Wembley will be your second home". I would of thought you should be in a straight jacket. Winning the league for me. Ask the Leicester fans. Champs league, it was my chance to see Messi, Ronaldo, Mbappe and others. Don't think City have ever got " European football", but Pep has. Maybe one day it will filter down to us fans. But winning the Prem title with days like Sunday and the Agueroooooooooooooooo day. At the moment, the prem all day long.

Last edited:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you had told me 20 years ago City would one day be in the prem league I would of thought you were insane. To win it. Not a cat in hells chance. Win it four times in 9 years. Never mind " oh and Wembley will be your second home". I would of thought you should be in a straight jacket. Winning the league. Champs league, it was my chance to see Messi, Ronaldo, Mbappe and others. Don't think City have ever got " European football", but Pep has. Maybe one day it will filter down to us fans. But winning the Prem title with days like Sunday and th Agueroooooooooooooooo day. At the moment, the prem all day long.

Ageurooooooooooooooo - still sends shivers down my spine.