And, we’re off.......2018/2019

Fish

Banned
Visit site
So which is the biggest banana skin fixture this weekend?

Bournemouth playing at home against Spurs..
Newcastle playing at home against Liverpool...
Watford playing away at Chelsea...
Huddersfield playing at home against Man Utd...
Brighton playing away at Arsenal...
Leicester playing away Man City...

Will they all go as planned, as they should on paper, or will this be the weekend that changes everything dramatically!!

Lyle77

Visit site
A shame that Firmino wasn't fit enough to start last night for Liverpool. He could have been the difference maker had he been fully fit and would have added a bit more cutting edge in the final third The James Milner chance was massive and could have changed the game if he'd slotted that in in the second half. If Salah had converted his chance at 3-0 then Liverpool would have been going to Anfield still being in the game. It is rare that you see a side playing so well and crashing to a 3-0 defeat.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I really can see Newcastle taking a point or two from Liverpool this weekend, I was laughed at when I suggested it at golf on Monday :unsure::LOL:

There’s only 1 club fighting for their lives (Brighton), all the rest are playing for pride, if there’s such a thing nowadays.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Man Utd and Arsenal have the two easiest games I would say.

The rest could all throw a surprise up, but I’d say the trip to St James’ is the most likely slip up on paper, will also have to see how they react with the result last night, then taking the return leg into consideration.

The way things have gone recently, Liverpool and City will both win with the rest losing.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
So not playing with fear then.
Newcastle are a funny team, capable of turning over a top team one week then losing to bottom of the league the next.
Don't know about that City are known as liddle City 😁, by the way our last defeat in the league was v Newcastle. Believe that night Rondon had a stonker of a game.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I really can see Newcastle taking a point or two from Liverpool this weekend, I was laughed at when I suggested it at golf on Monday :unsure::LOL:
Not by me, I said the same. Benitez has them well drilled, last home game of the season. Last game of the season, Newcastle away, Newcastle will lose but this Saturday I can see them getting a draw.

D

Deleted member 16999

Don’t think you can write off Leicester at City either, on paper it’s a standard home win, but Leicester have a chance of a Europa League place and are going for it.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Leicester playing well at the moment. City just about getting things done. City need to up their game or they could lose top spot this weekend.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
So which is the biggest banana skin fixture this weekend?

Bournemouth playing at home against Spurs..
Newcastle playing at home against Liverpool...
Watford playing away at Chelsea...
Huddersfield playing at home against Man Utd...
Brighton playing away at Arsenal...
Leicester playing away Man City...

Will they all go as planned, as they should on paper, or will this be the weekend that changes everything dramatically!!

Definitely the Huddersfield vs United game.
I genuinely believe that Huddersfield could slip up and United could steal all three points!
You heard it here first.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it’s actually from an England B team match v Austria, played on 12 June 1979 and abandoned after 60 minutes due to floodlight failure.
Team was:
Joe Corrigan, Viv Anderson, Kenny Sansom, Steve Williams, B.Wright, Terry Butcher, Glenn Hoddle, Bryan Robson, Kevin Reeves, Tony Woodcock, Graham Rix.

Why do I think this fixture and not the one you mentioned?

I found the picture below of Cyrille Regis’s Caps and the Red one is from an England B appearance v Australia, so I’m wondering if England B got red caps? (Purely guessing)

View attachment 27223
That’s some B team.

D

Deleted member 16999

Found this this morning, the one next to the USA one, so can probably rule out it being Kevin Reeves Cap.

742F0700-079B-400C-A62E-A3006B7A649A.jpeg

D

Deleted member 18588

After last night I think it is fair to ask if the English media (and some fans) have been guilty of excessive hype.

Van Dijk is clearly an excellent player but I think it is still a little early to be anointing him as the best defender in the world.

But the media in this country love to talk up a player, possibly to give themselves more ammunition when they choose to have a go at that same player at a later date.

On this season's form VvD has definitely been the best in the PL but World's Best?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
After last night I think it is fair to ask if the English media (and some fans) have been guilty of excessive hype.

Van Dijk is clearly an excellent player but I think it is still a little early to be anointing him as the best defender in the world.

But the media in this country love to talk up a player, possibly to give themselves more ammunition when they choose to have a go at that same player at a later date.

On this season's form VvD has definitely been the best in the PL but World's Best?

Who was flat footed as Messi snook in to bundle the ball over the line for goal number 2?
And for the manager to say they couldn't play any better, whooooo dear oh dear, traa Mr Klopp.

D

Deleted member 15344

Is it also fair to change a judgement based on one match or indeed one moment where a defender was just a bit too static - VVD should have reacted better to the ball coming off the bar but he still had a decent game last night , when you can highlight single errors from a player and they are in a very small number then it shows the quality of the player. Every player has that game or moment where they just don’t hit their height of ability in a game - last night for me doesn’t stop him being the best in the world

Who was flat footed as Messi snook in to bundle the ball over the line for goal number 2?
And for the manager to say they couldn't play any better, whooooo dear oh dear, traa Mr Klopp.

We did play superb at Barce - we got them that rattled in the second half we forced them to sit deep in their own ground - this is a Barce team that normally dominate any team they played - the difference between the two was they were clinical with their chances we weren’t - which is what Klopp has also said